Canyon Ridge Trail

Canyon Ridge Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Worth, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail was a lot of fun. It was definitely a work out, but we also hiked it in July so it was a balmy 95 degrees. I'd say it's mostly shaded. It kind of winds down in the valleys and then back up in the ridges. Up on the ridges is where the sun beat down. Be prepared for narrow trails, and several inclines. On the really step inclines, rail road tie and rock steps have been provided. Saw a snake, lots of lizards, butterflies, and armadillos. Took us three hours to walk the trail and then return to parking by walking the road. As always, take plenty of water. Oh yeah, keep an eye out for poison ivy. Some parts of the trail neck down to a foot across or less in some spots. Personally I wouldn't take my young children on this one but that's just me. I was pretty focused on myself in several places and for long durations, just to make sure my step was secure and looking for snakes and poison ivy, let alone keeping an eye on a young child. Definitely worth the five dollars per person to access it.

really enjoy this trail. equal amounts of sun and shade. As it is considered the hardest at the preserve, I have never found it crowded...even on weekends. Definitely worth the $5 fee.

Great trails, but beware for alligators in the water. A fisherman told me they don't really get above four feet or so but even at four feet they got all their teeth. Also keep in mind that its $5 a person to get in. Look up for wild blueberries! Lovely place and well worth the $5, plan on visiting again in a couple days.

A really good trail! Lots of stairs, inclines, and declines so not good for young children. I had taken my 4 year old, who loved it and did great, but had to tell him to hold my hand on the steep declines.

Trail paths are very narrow and inclines are STEEP so be aware, especially if hiking with multiple people. Very shaded paths, so even with the Texas heat coming at us full force, it still felt pleasant. You do reach a point where you can't really go on with the trail without either potentially falling and injuring yourself, or hitting the main road, so we didn't do the full 3.6 miles, ended up being closer to around 2, there and back. Inclines made it quite the workout though.

Lots of canopy cover, with great elevation change. Closer to 6.8 miles. Definitely recommend, $5 a person is well worth it.

Exciting trail run, paths are tight and keep you on your toes. Could use more signage to stay on the right path in certain spots.