Cactus Rocks Trail is a 1 mile loop trail located near Leander, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Loop

Large rock formations, interpretive trail markers, variety of plant life. This trail is located in the Warbler Vista area of the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge. It is a short but enjoyable trail through habitat for the golden-cheeked warbler, an endangered species. Depending on the season, you may see some of these birds along the trail as they are nesting. The trail is narrow but well-defined, and can have some loose footing in spots. You can pick up an interpretive guide at the display in the parking area. The guide will tell you what the markers along the trail are identifying. Because this is a NWR, no pets, bikes, or off-trail exploring are allowed. Park hours are sunrise-sunset.

Nice shady trail for a warm sunny day. Lovely wildflowers and wooded areas. Perfect distance / challenge for lower elementary kids. As others have noted: Please leave your pets at home. We all love dogs but let’s preserve this area as a wildlife refuge as intended.

Lovely views, I wasn’t expecting ! Very peaceful and quiet hike.

my family and I found this by mistake. it was awesome!! my 2 and 4 yr old walked the whole trail.

Fri Apr 26 2019

Thu Apr 25 2019

Pretty good trail! I’d recommend having hiking shoes and not running shoes on this one due to the terrain.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Great trail with challenging segments, but definitely doable in running shoes. I’ll admit that I didn’t partake in the interpretive trail elements, but I still loved the hike nonetheless.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Just challenging enough to tire my four and two year old out.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Nice shaded hiking trails, we hiked Cactus and Ridgeline Trails. A lot of elevation changes, so made for a good hike.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Short but decent trail. Couple of technical sections some fun little climbs.

Fri Apr 20 2018

short but very beautiful and peaceful

Sat Mar 17 2018

Very nice hike, a little rough but very good to do.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Great little hike of around 3.1 miles when all was said and done with my honey. Weather was in low 70’s and sunny. Good hike on a Saturday!

Sun Sep 11 2016

This is not an out an back. the map clearly shows you can do the loop. But it is very short. We did all three trails and still only logged a few miles. Not sure if I'd really recommend Vista Knoll Trail.. but you should definitely take Ridgeline Trail (out and back) to the end to see the view from the kiosk there! (forgot the actual name of the kiosk) Ridgeline can be a little challenging but definitely worth it!

Tue Jul 19 2016

These trails were a pleasant surprise! It was about 85% shaded trails with some slight elevation and interesting rock formations. The only wildlife I saw/heard were hundreds of cicadas. I did see several areas of fresh hog rooting(s), but heard nary any oink. This was well worth the drive from Georgetown.

Mon Jul 11 2016

this is a great Trail for hiking for an hour. there's a total of 3 trails end of the trails this one is the most difficult, but it is fun to hike in the morning. There are a couple good photo opportunities along the way.

Mon Apr 25 2016

It's an ok trail... Only a few views on the way to Ridge trail.

Fri Apr 22 2016

Wonderful trail. Had both 8 y.o. twin girls and our 3 y.o. son. They had a blast. Only saw three other people so kids were able to run ahead a bit. Did all the trails, about 3 miles, and kids still wanted to keep going. Will return.

Sat Oct 04 2014

Good family trail we also did the trail up to the lookout. Nice view of the 40 foot low lake Travis, good rest spot. If you do all 3 trails its about 3.25 miles.

Thu Jul 03 2014

We ended up hiking this and most of the Ridgeline trail as well. In all, we trekked about 3.2 miles. We hit the trail at 7:30am and only met one other hiker. We took our dog as we weren't not aware that pets weren't allowed until we were there. We ended up leashing him and taking him along with no issues. The views were nice and the trail well maintained. The slight elevations were easy for all including our small dog. During this time, it's best to get out before it gets super hot even though the majority of this trail is shaded. Will return.

Thu Apr 10 2014

This was a simple and easy hike. There were some pretty hill country views. I didn't have my kids with me but both my 5yr old and 3yr old could have done this. I will be back...kids in tow.

Sat Sep 14 2013

I"m out of shape and completed this trail without trouble. My 5 year old tagged along and only got tired on the last leg. There is a lot of shade from the trees. The elevation seems to get a good breeze. Will be back.

Sun Aug 04 2013

Nice easy trail. Easy access. The trail has great hill country views as well as a good chance to see wildlife. Overall trail was enjoyable just not long enough.

Fri Apr 20 2012

Easy hike for most there are some slopes that can be tough for small kids or senior citizens. Birding in the spring and fall is great, good diversity of flora and fauna native to hill country.