Bull Creek Trail

Bull Creek Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenshores, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This may be one of my favorite trails in Austin. It's challenging and rocky at times, but comfortable and leisurely at others. The terrain and elevation changed quite frequently, so it was never boring. It's certainly a moderate hike with exposed sun, so bring plenty of water. Make sure to start at the correct location, as it's easy to get confused (when I tried this hike for the first time I got lost and went on the wrong trail, which is easy to do)
Make a right at the entrance sign and walk along the fence to begin this trail correctly. It's a bit hidden, but if you follow the all trails map, you'll find it. Whole loop took me about 2.5hrs with a few brief stops.
There are quite a bunch of loose rocks along the way, so be careful with those ankles!

This review will be short since I just wrote one.

Took the entire trail. I took the east path first. When I got to the top I was happy that the trail turned into a service road, some smoother running. But when I went back down (go west at the huge powerlines, it looks like just another service road but it is the trail), I went downdowndown. I swear, it was half a mile or more of some pretty steep elevation drop, with huge steps. I'm looking forward to getting into better shape, so I can try and run up this side. Hill of Life (at Barton Creek trail)? How about this one we call Hill of Life north.

Parking for this trail is hard to spot at first. Going gotta be going south/west on 360, past Spicewoods Spring but before some apartments, there's a small unmarked dirt-looking road on the right. But once you find this road, go left the lot is very easy to spot.
At the trail head (near the entrance to the parking lot) if you go left, the trail ends pretty quickly at a make-shift wooden fence and Bull Creek, but there's also a little side trail to a nice view of Bull creek. So to get to the actual trail-

At the trail head go right- when the foliage is in full bloom it doesn't look like a trail, but just keep going along the fence and soon you'll come to a sign and the trail itself begins: and boy it felt massive to me!

Fixed rocks, loose rocks, small and large, all shapes and sizes. Twist in parts, flat in parts. A few ups-and-downs. But the main appeal: the elevation just keeps rising. I only went about halfway down the trail on the on the more north/west side, turning around before getting to the "halfway point". But I'm sure the other side has just as good elevation change.

No super steep hills, but definitely 90% steady elevation change. Very good for long hills. I give it four instead of five stars because the trail lacks creek-crossings, which are favorites amongst trail runners. The signage was rather good, but I could see how even with the signage one could go in circles, so be prepared.

I'm sure I would've liked this trail much better if it had some decent trail markings. I got lost twice, which was very easy to do, given the layout and lack of markings. A map or this app is necessary to do this trail, lots of routes and options that don't follow the correct route.
FYI, the trail starts at the entrance to the parking lot. Be careful, this trail does not begin ahead of the sign. You need to make a right at the sign and follow the fence (which does not look correct, but it is). Photo attached for reference.

Upper trail has no real water views.

The "Bull Creek Preserve" trail shown in the map at right was a lot harder than we thought it would be. The inclines were a great workout. The right fork going to the far end should probably be avoided if wet/damp because it would be treacherously slippery, but today was dry. I kind of think that this is more than "moderate" as it was about as tough as River Place Nature Trail which is rated "hard." Less total elevation gain than River Place, but no steps to make it easy. Real hiking. We loved it! We got lost off trail twice and had to use compass and All Trails phone app/GPS to get back on trail, that;s why I give it only 4 stars. Beware: Hiking within the Preserve without an Entry Permit between March 1 and July 31 is unauthorized access and is considered trespassing, enforceable to the full extent of the law.

We did both the bull creek greenbelt and reserve trails. Great waterfalls along the path.

Sunday, May 11, 2014