Bull Creek Greenbelt Trail

Bull Creek Greenbelt Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It is a lot of fun. You can stay on the rocky trail or use a dirt path. My dog loves this hike.

So a few weeks ago I ran here again, and I was a bit surprised though I shouldn't have been. I'm sorta new to Austin, and didn't realize how many families, parties, etc. come to hang out at the creeks. I was running, and I kept coming up upon group after group of people with their drinks and lawn chairs, and some even had canopies. It was pretty cool to run and see some people, as sometimes you do trail running, and it's as if you're all alone.

A quick note: at the south end of the trail, at the big open area on Lakewood drive, the official trail itself actually goes along Lakewood Dr. When running from the north, you can easily follow the creek, there are trails back there, and still get to the end/beginning of the trail.

Really enjoy this trail, it's everything I love about hiking, weaves in and out of trees up and down rocks along a creek. Very pretty and peaceful, with waterfalls along the way.

This has almost everything: water crossings; woods, open areas, rock areas; dirt trails, rocky trails, skinny trails, wide trails; and some very cool swimming holes, and lost of unmarked trails to explore. But I give it four stars instead of five, because it lacks any large hills to climb.

But all in all, it might be my favorite place to trail run, due to the wide variety of terrain and plant life. To get them hills in, just stay on the south side of the creek on the east side of 360, climb up the embankment (or do it the wussy way and cross 360), and head to the Valburn trails.

I notice on the map, it starts in the middle of the trail. The trail actually continues northeast along the creek, and back into the woods, where there's more of the same- water crossings, variety of terrain, etc. To start at the actual beginning of the trail, take the somewhat-hard-to-spot road to the north, just before the intersection of west Spicewoods Springs and 360. The road loops under 360, and then there's parking on the left.

Great trail for cross country running. Variety of surfaces to run, from thickly wooded dirt paths to the narrower gravel & small rock scampering trails along the escarpments. The wider, rockier portions of the path along the creek demand careful foot placement or you'll end up face first in the rocks. I take my dog (no leash) who gets along well with all the other dogs we meet there.

Trail is straight enough to run, rocky enough to be slightly challenging. Love the mini waterfalls after a good rain!

Bring extra clothes and jump in the refreshing water!