Brushy Creek Trail from Brushy Creek Lake Park

Brushy Creek Trail from Brushy Creek Lake Park is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar Park, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

Wide 1/2 paved 1/2 dirt trail with some shade. Walkers, Joggers, bicyclists and pet lovers frequent this trail. Nicely maintained trail that runs along side brushy creek. Features include bridges, educational postings of local plantlife, wildlife, and history. Numerous parks along the way that provide access to restrooms.

I was in the Austin area for day on business. I got done early and thought I'd try a new trail. The trail was nice and easy to walk. I love the fact that one can leave the paved trail and follow mountain bike trails cross country, through the woods etc to add a bit of a challenge. The trail on the map(in this app) is not very clear when it comes to the turn around spot at the YMCA, by the lake. I ended up going around the lake, over the one way bridge and then along the other side of the lake on top of the hill (nice view). I also left the main paved trail and followed the upper picnic trail going and the lower picnic trail on the way back. There are signs along the trail showing the "off road trails" and they are color coded by difficulty (for mountain bikers, but also very useful for hikers and trail runners). The nice part was, while there were a few people on the main trail on this Thursday in January (windy, but nice temps in the 60's), I saw only one other person using the "off road trails".... The trail does continue further east, but the crossing over the lakes dam is under construction until fall 2017 and closed. There are, however, signs for an alternate route to connect to further trails at the end of the trail (right up at the road, by the entrance closest to the dam). I followed it for a bit, but the north wind got to strong with 40 mph gusts and so I turned around and called it day. I will probably go that way next time when I am in the area (I do come down into the area at least once a month)

So from the start of the trail on the map, run along the crushed gravel going west, instead of east. When the trees are on your north, look for a path going into the trees just before the bend in the trail to the south. The eastern most trail into the trees is to a Labyrinth. But there's a trail just to the west (before the bend).

I found this trail by looking at some other trail websites. Apparently, it's called "Carcass Cafe". Weird, I know. It's a BMX trail made by the locals. Some of it is very compact, flat dirt, some of it is more rough and loose dirt/rocks with som trees roots, some of it seems freshly mulched (although the trail dates back years). All of it is single track, there are a few manmade obstacles (eg a wooden ramp at about 45 degrees, the overpass and culverts from Parmer), some more natural obstacles like rocks and trees roots, and lots and lots of twists and turns and bends and curves.

Trail running on this was a treat. had to make a few leaps over some dips, watch my footing right next to a tributary off the creek, duck under the Parmer overpass, make lots of twists without loosing my footing, etc. I'm sure that during busy days I would want to avoid this as many bikers probably ride this trail..

I didn't run the actual trail, but I ran some bandit trails.

From the 183 parking area, I first went west along the regional trail. Almost immediately before the bridge which takes you into the open are with the YMCA, vere left (south). From there, there's a great hill climb at the first left- not too long but steep. This takes you to dirt flats, some winding paths through the trees, a service road, and you can loop back around to the regional trail eventually. If you instead go straight at the first intersection, you get to run right b y the lake, great views. It eventually takes you to the Twin Lakes park, though there are more intersecting trails. Not much mileage on these trails, but if you take the right trail, I believe you could end up connecting with the next section of trails.

Getting back to the regional trail, I then went east. Immediately before the first bridge past 183, there's a trail into the woods. This trail also has some climbs. The trail loops back on itself so if you go straight or right, you're good. In the middle of these trails is what looks like an old, abandoned dirt bike area. It's rather small, but it's kinda neat.

After getting back to the regional trail, I definitely needed more mileage. So I went east some more and, immediately (yes, everything is immediately) after the bridge there is a trail to the right (south). This trail is, I believe, dubbed "The Rim". Go straight, straight, straight some more. You'll be running in a creek bed, and eventually it'll turn into a very miniature canyon. Eventually you gotta take a left, and after an uphill, you hit the actual rim. Nice views, very rocky and rooty, lots of shallow dips. This trail eventually will link up to the service road which, go south and you'll hit the regional trail. But keep going east and you'll be on Deception (the very long, strenuous dirtbike trail). That's where you can get your mileage.

After running the regional trail back to my car, I took the "shared path", concrete bike and pedestrian path, to the north. I only ran until I hit the first road, maybe a quarter mile. But it was good to be in some wide open spaces, even if there were a few buildings and 183 traffic nearby.

Anyway, great set of trails to run on back here. I'm sure there're more around, as I keep finding them (but am definitely not discovering anything brand new).

Great for any level. many off paths for bikers or hikers but lots of paved area for strollers and casual walkers!

One of my favorites

This is an easy trail mostly concrete with beautiful scenery. It is moderate to heavy traffic depending on the day. It is great for the family lots of bikes, runners, walkers, and naturists.

So every time I go trail running here, I find something new.

So used to there was just the concrete path with a few green benches, a few doggie bag stations, a few small bridges. But now I know of all these dirt/rock trails through the woods, closer to the creek (on the north) or for some elevation change (on the south). The trails (most of them) are marked by wooden "kiosks".

Board of the same old concrete trail? Need a better workout or more nature? Take some of the off-trail trails. It's pretty nice, especially when you get near the YMCA (on the west end of the main trail), and take the trails south. With enough searching, you'll find yourself on a path running directly above the lakes, and it's rather nice.

This is more a park for those wanting to bike or kayak or fish, but it's well-maintained and very family-friendly. Very nice area and pretty scenery.

I run this pretty regularly- I do a long trail run, then on my way home I stop here for the cool down, to get all the stiffness out. The scenery is good, the people are friendly, the path wide and maintained.

But..

See those blue lines dashed lines to the south of the trail? That's the bike trail, "Deception". You want a major workout for your feet? You want to come home not with sore feet because you merely pounded some pavement, but because you actually have to use every muscle in your feet in order to stay balanced and run well? This trail is for you. Lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, steep rocky climb, high step ups, even some water crossings (though not much water admittedly). But man will your feet and ankles get strong and sore from the workout they'll get. I love it.

Nice city walking trail. Occasional gentle incline and decent. Great for exercise. Paved path.

Really nice trail. All gravel or concrete. But with opportunities for some off road trails I will try next time. Moderately busy with bikers, walkers and runners everyone was very friendly. Hope to go again

awesome!

This trail has adequate parking in several spots, restrooms and drinkable water in several spots. This is always a plus. It's totally family friendly. It's good for walkers, joggers, hikers, bikers, dogs, kids, etc. Very large concrete trail, but if you're into a dirt trail, you can walk or run beside the concrete trail, or go "off trail" to the dirt bike trails.

I really like this trail because it's always got people on it, but not too too many. The scenery is very pretty, and it varies somewhat- lots of trees of course, and the west side has "beauty" while the east side is more "wilderness" looking (though none of it is in the actual wilderness).

The main reason it gets five stars, is that you can exit the trail at various places to go into the woods and run/ride on the bike trails. For a trail runner like myself, that's the really, really fun part. The bike trails are rocky, have lots of ups and down, twists and turns, and just enough intersections to keep you on your directional toes; the path is pretty well marked, but you could easily explore the forks in the path.

If I was just reviewing and rating the concrete path, which is the official path, I'd give it a four: it's only geared towards regular hiking and running on, well, a concrete path through nice, scenic woods, and it does boast a lake, some large fields to play in, lots of metal bridges, and a YMCA at the west end. But since it has the option to go "off path" to some more technical and rugged paths, it gets that extra star. Take the regular concrete trail for a good workout. But take the "deception" bike trail (just west of the Brushy Creek Sports Park) for a major workout, great scenery, and some good wilderness.

All in all, it's got something for everyone.

Beast mode

The dirt trail that runs right beside the creek is so quiet and secluded. I could stay here all day.

Awesome trails

Easy trail for running, biking, walking the dogs or strollers. Active trail but serene when walking and even deer to see at the right time. Both shaded and parts with full sun, parts also go along a moving creek where water looks fresh. Small natural waterfalls after a rain. Benches along the trail for those who need a rest.

Good

The trails are not bad. I enjoyed the calm walk on the pavement, and the breeze on this day was nice. It was an easy walk on a easy trail. I would bring sunscreen due to a lack of shade in some areas.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Nice trail. Runs along the water for the most part. The trail is paved, which I don't care for, but that is a personal preference. Nice little waterfall with a cool rustic bridge near the YMCA. Well maintained. There really isn't any coverage so may be hot when the sun is out. I walked it when it was overcast.