Blue Trail

Blue Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alvord, Texas that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The National Forests and Grasslands in Texas provide excellent opportunities for bird watching and wildlife viewing. Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grassland is a National Grassland located in the Great Plains of the northern part of the U.S. state of Texas near Decatur and within an hour's drive from Fort Worth. It is primarily used for recreation such as hiking, camping, horseback riding, fishing and hunting. It is also used as grazing land for cattle and other livestock. Camping and other activities are free of charge, and visitors may camp in virtually any area of the park. Both pull-through and hike-in campsites are available. Some areas require a small fee for use, but these are few and clearly marked.

Beautiful scenery and varied terrain. I like that you can follow one large loop and cover a lot of ground rather than looping back on yourself a bunch, just make sure you have the time before you commit, and would not recommend it in the heat. There's a lot of unshaded sections.

Love the Trails and Free Camping just rember to Yeld to Horse Riders and keep your Pets on a Leash :)

Pretty hike. Only flaw was the quality of trail from the foot traffic of the horses leaving the trail wide and bumpy in some parts. Also would not recommend going during the summer because of the heat and there is also no access to potable water you would need to purify your own.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Monday, March 14, 2016

Enjoyable, first time hiking with the family great for beginners

fly fishing
Thursday, February 11, 2016

fly fishing
Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I enjoyed it there's a lot of different features on this trail. It's good to hike but my legs were like jello after we finished it.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Monday, November 05, 2012

Run this trail year round. Fairly sandy trails, rolling hills, some shady spots but mostly open, great views. Bring plenty of water with you if its hot. Not heavily used but will likely run into mountain bikers occasionally and likely folks on horseback. During the week I've been out here and never run into anyone for hours on end. Open for hunting so wear bright colors(orange), be loud and stay on marked trails during the season.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

I would rate this as a strenuous hike in the summer at least. We did the 14 mile blue loop and it was challenging no doubt. There was very little tree covering, about 90% of the hike, we were out in the open. I would say about 50% of the trail is soft sand-hard to get traction and slowing us down. It gave us a sense of what the desert feels like. There was not drinking water anywhere and there was virtually no areas where you could get help if needed. There was no shortcut to get back. In other words, once you begin hiking, you will need to complete the entire 14 miles. I had 4 16oz bottles of water and it still was not enough. I loved the hike and I am always looking for a good challenge. I would do this again.