Black Gap 4X4 Trail

Black Gap 4X4 Trail is a 16.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

A 4X4 trail in the Big Bend National Park, rarely maintained by the NPS Start at Glen Springs, and end on the River Road

easy and fun trail only a few spots of exitement. mostly awesome views of BBNP!!

off road driving

Such a blast. Easier than I expected for me and my stock Jeep Wrangler. Very scenic, beautiful trail. Only a couple of spots where actual 4wd was necessary. Look for the spot with the old grave sites on the hill! No signs but looks very historic. Overall, my favorite off-road trail at big bend.

off road driving

This was a fun and moderate trail! Much more exciting than the River Road which didn't have much more to offer than some sandy parts. I have a 2017 Rubicon with 32" tires and it had no problem at all on this trail. I used the sway bar disconnect for comfort more than anything but I didn't need any lockers. The step is fun but we didn't scrape the bottom or any skid plates.

off road driving

Always check with park rangers before driving Black Gap. 4x4 with high clearance is a must. We did it in a stock JKU, but thank goodness for skid plates! Coming from the south, it's harder to see the one drop-off (pictured).

Friday, January 13, 2017

This was a very fun and slightly difficult off road drive. It could be difficult and scary for the inexperienced in parts. I had no problem driving it in a stock JK Wrangler. Four wheel drive low was required in a couple spots to get over some steep inclines and boulders.

Friday, March 08, 2013

We drove this trail in March 2012 from east (Glen Springs) to the west in a stock Jeep Wrangler JK. The Park service seems to discourage using the Black Gap 4X4 road as they no longer maintain it. It is washed out in several places, but nothing a capable 4X4 can't handle.

I would check with the NPS before driving it, especially after a big rain.