Woodlands Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Livingston, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 164 feet Route Type: Loop

the trail has been done looking good make sure you have some bug spray it was very hot not much breeze they did a great job on this trail

Be prepared for mud! Beautiful trail easy to follow.

First time out on this trail. Super muddy from recent rains and we finally gave up and turned around. Hoping to try again soon. Hiking poles did help in the mud. There is a restroom at the trailhead.....more like a permanent port-a-potty but still appreciated.

Nice sunny Saturday walk. Easy for these out of towners to follow and our dog loved it. A bit mucky, but it is November after all

Monday, September 24, 2018

We've hiked this trail several times. Nice area. Great for a day hike!

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Secluded forest walk along nice trail with views of mature forest and river floodplains/swamps. Lots of indications of wild hog rooting, and we found several ticks hitchhiking on our clothes. Speaking to rangers this trail is pretty well known for its ticks, so bring repellant and do your tick checks!

Friday, April 27, 2018

Nice loop, very green and scenic compared with others in the area. Fairly easy hiking, but feels very remote. Lots of wildlife, from rabbits and squirrels to wild hogs and I've seen one deer. I've camped along the creek a couple nights, but even with proper filtering/purification the water sources (creek) aren't safe for human consumption in my experience. Otherwise this would be a great trail to camp along.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Wonderful walk through not very interesting forest.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Nice, secluded lollipop loop along Big Sandy Creek. On the harder side of easy due to length; the terrain is hillier than you might expect for southeast Texas but still pretty flat. Nice mix of bottomland forest and upland forest. A few muddy areas to deal with after a rain but not as bad as some other trails in this area. Overall, a good choice for dayhiking the Big Thicket.

Monday, December 04, 2017

it was an awesome trail with awesome scenery... well marked and the trail was very nice... I took my 7 year old son!!! will definitely be back to do it again

Saturday, September 16, 2017

this trail is great. I can not count the times I have hiked it and camped on the creek. Not recommended in summer as ticks and chiggers are rampant. fall, winter, and spring are great. Great day hike. seen hogs, snakes, deer, ect....

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

We hiked this today, and it was beautiful! We didn't see anyone else on the trail. There are downed trees just past Bench C. It's hard to see past them, but step over them and you'll be back on the trail. At Bench F, the map portion of the bench is missing. There is a bridge to the right of Bench F (if you're sitting on the bench), and that is the way you want to go to continue on the trail.

Monday, September 05, 2016

A little over grown but nice easy hike

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Great, well-marked and scenic trail. The foliage was lovely even in the hot September heat, with lots of downed trees around the path.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Enjoyed this trail. I never saw anyone else. We were the only ones there. The trails are pretty easy to follow. The benches spread throughout the trail have the map on it to let you know where you are. Also there are maps at the trailhead. There were a lot of downed trees covering the trail so I had to hike around them quite a few times. The mosquitos about ate us alive. Would probably go back if in the area when it's cooler with less bugs. You couldn't even stop to rest and they were covering you even with bug spray on. Saw some wild hogs that my dog gave chase to and about scared me to death. Would definitely go back for the solitude.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Oh wow, spooky woods today! Great hike at near 5.5 miles in full. We got a good work out with this terrain. Beautiful fallen leaves on wide trail and then a lot of debris. Fairly wild and in need of clearing. But we didn't mind it so much, it seemed rather untouched and nice like that. Rugged benches at every point or every mile. No picnic tables at the trailhead. No picnic spot along the trail. But goodness, the trees! So many good size beauties! Watch out for snakes!! I came up on a big one among the debris on the trail.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The trail is 5 miles long, there are benches with the trail map carved in the backs through out the trail. Parts of the trail is over taken with weeds and there are several areas with fallen tree debris. All in all this trail wasn't bad.

Saturday, October 13, 2018