Big Thicket - Turkey Creek Trail

Big Thicket - Turkey Creek Trail is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Warren, Texas. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

I enjoyed this hike. It was a lovely hike through the woods and after a mile or two in, you start to walk along the creek. I didn't realize there were two sections of this until I pulled out to leave. Not sure which section I did. Both just said Turkey Creek Trail. Would like to go back and do the other section.

Monday, October 12, 2015

I took the top-most portion of this trail for a medium-length day hike down to the Pitcher Plant Trail loop about 2.9 miles down from the trailhead. The walk was lovely and interesting, with more open, grassy stretches in the beginning and wooded walkways of over-arching canopies along the way. A few small dried-up creek passages would be picturesque in higher water seasons.

Some of the wooded clearings just before the trail follows the dirt road make the trail tricky to follow. The pitcher plants are a unique, delightful find if you take that short detour (I recommend it!). The weather was great in early October and the bugs cooperated for the most part. Will come back to do the whole trail, perhaps starting at the alternate trailhead for the connected Pitcher Plant Trail or to backpack/camp the whole enchilada.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

When we went on a one-night backpacking hike, we saw literally no one at all until the last 100 feet. You couldn't have asked for a more pleasant hike--the caveat being that this occurred in February. I hear it's scorching in the summer. Even though you're hiking alongside a creek, you can't filter water from it since it is chemically contaminated, which means you have to bring a lot of water with you. That, however, was the only inconvenience of the trail. We loved being able to pick our own campsite anywhere off the path, and we enjoyed all of the cute benches and bridges over the swampy land and under the trees.

Overall, great, fun hike. Not buggy at all in February, lots of wildlife to see, and not many people in your way!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Nice scenic trail...enjoy the different ppl I've gotten to meet while on it.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Nice point to point trail. Can make it as long 18 miles out and back or shorter as there are several starting points. I really enjoyed the Sandhill Loop off of this trail.