Big Thicket and Big Sandy Trail

Big Thicket and Big Sandy Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Livingston, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked the length of the trail today. It was very peaceful, didn't see another person out there all day. For a solitude I give it 5 stars; you might as well be in your own world out there. For maintenance though, I would give it 3 stars, as someone stated earlier, the trailhead is nicely maintained, but the trails not so much. This really doesn't bother me too much just shows how little the trail there is utilized. The thing that did bother me though was the complete lack of signage. With no blazes or markers of any type, at times the trail can be confusing. The map that is provided is for the horse trail out there and does not even show the actual hiker path. I finished up on the trail early and stopped by the big thicket visitors center to ask about the lack of signage, thinking maybe much of it was lost due to flooding from Harvey. When I asked about It, the ranger on duty sheepishly told me that there really had never been any and that this trail is the least of the maintained in the big thicket system. He did say it was on the to do list of the park though...
All in all though, it is a great hike that takes you through some beautiful landscape and provides plenty of solitude and a chance to recharge the batteries after a crazy hetic week. I will definitely be back...

if you just want a nice walk it's great but nothing to see.

Not much change in landscape. Good for a long hike

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

One of these days we will complete the entire trail! Looking forward to it but it is 9 miles in, so ... we have gone in as far as 5 miles, stopped for a picnic and rest and hiked back. This is enough for a day visit. On Good Friday this year we managed to go in 3 miles before the trail was flooded out. This is my favorite of the BTNP trails!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

This area is beautiful, however, the trail which is actually an old logging road was not maintained. The trail head is nicely maintained.