Big Bend Hot Springs Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(90)
Big Bend National Park

Big Bend Hot Springs Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 154 feet Route Type: Loop

hot springs

A short trail to a mineral hot spring.

Easy path to the springs, just very crowded at dusk. Probably would have been great if I had gone at dawn instead. Completed January 2019

a gorgeous walk and beautiful, rustic hot springs coming out of the river. the only drawback is that this area is becoming more and more crowded as years pass. go now and dont wait because when you come back, you'll be fighting more people to feel like you're in nature

Beautiful & easy trail! It was pretty empty when we went people would filter in and out every ten minutes. We couldn’t stay in long, we prefer the cold Rio Grande next to the springs! My favorite part was the short walk to the Rio! Right off the path behind the picnic table you will find a beachy area to dip in the cool water! We saw some kids taking a dip on the Mexico side splashing & enjoying as well. So peaceful we stayed for an hour & another family brought chairs to join!

One of the coolest spots in all of America. Don’t let the secret get out

Short walk rather than a hike. Hot springs are nice though.

Bring a swimsuit for this short walk. Sun can be hot on the way there. Hot spring is excellent, but you may want to get there early.

0.75 from the rv parking lot. Easy hike.

More of a path than a hiking trail.

Very nice hike. Bring a swimsuit, and a towel and change in your car or the bathrooms in the parking lot if you plan on getting in the hot springs.

This is a perfect trail for all levels! My mother is in her 70s and my sister has back issues, so when we visited the park for my wedding, this was the perfect trail for us all to share together. We ended up going at different times, but my mother and sister loved the trail and walked it easily, enjoying the ancient pictographs on the way. My new husband and I watched the sunset and met new friends. The hot springs are always my favorite part... Big tip: Go at night!! For some reason they are just so much more magnificent at night. This was my first time going to the hot springs before the sun went down, and I swear I passed them up because they didn't "look quite right." The night really brings the beauty out if this magical place.

Due to a flash flood on Thursday the hot spring was overflowed by the River so we were not able to take a dip but the trail gives incredible arid desert views along with pictographs on the shale was an incredible experience. The trail itself is very walkable but the heat could be a factor in summer months.

Trail is awesome and so is the hot spring. Hot spring can get a big crowded (completed in January)

Narrow drive to the parking area so take it slow! Easy walk down to the hot spring. You can see old pictographs on the cliff to your left. Cool if you’ve never been to a hot spring before. Would recommend going earlier in the morning so the air isn’t hotter than the spring.

Thu May 30 2019

Short trail literally to the edge of the Rio river where you can sit in the hot spring and hop in the river if it isn't flowing too fast.

Sun Apr 28 2019

It not what we expected but we did it.

Sat Apr 20 2019

It is okay not the must see everyone talks of

Wed Apr 17 2019

Just went to have a look at the Springs. Hot water when it’s 100 outside had no appeal to me

Wed Apr 03 2019

me and my brother did this trail on a Sunday before we left the park. It was a relatively easy trail and the hotspring at the end was great after 2 days out in the trails.

Thu Mar 07 2019

Great way to meet other people in the park and take in the starry sky. Great way to unwind your tired muscles after hiking all day!

Thu Mar 07 2019

Easy hike from the lowest parking area. Check with the park rangers for current road conditions before you attempt the drive. You cannot make the whole drive in a long vehicle (RV) or a wide vehicle (Dualie or truck camper). Really enjoyed the hot springs. Met lots of people from all over the world!

Fri Jan 04 2019

Super easy (I hiked to the hot spring in flip flops). I also didn't see the loop part--I just walked back the same way I got there. The hot springs were awesome. Highly recommend. Definitely pay attention to the road warnings, it is VERY narrow.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Short and pretty trail that was great to stretch out my legs after the Window Trail. Great views of the Rio Grande. The warnings about oversized vehicles to get to the trailhead should be heeded!

Fri Dec 21 2018

Short hike from the parking lot. The hot spring was great! Our group jumped in the river to cool off after we got too warm, which worked out great!

Thu Sep 13 2018

We weren’t able to go. The road is currently closed

Fri Sep 07 2018

Great way to unwind after a full day of hiking. Didn't really see the loop and just took it as an out and back trail to the hot spring. Some historical buildings along the way and pictographs as well. The trail we took to the hot spring was very muddy most of the way due to recent rain so consider than with your footwear. The unpaved road to get there is narrow and very bumpy at times. Not sure if a sedan would cut it but maybe if youre careful with the potholes. Nobody was there at 6pm when we arrived on labor day so that was perfect for relaxing.

Tue Jun 12 2018

We did this trail in early March with my 3 little kids and it was easy and a lot of fun! Perfect for families!

Tue May 08 2018

Easy trail. There's some historical buildings & some pictographs up on the side of a cliff. The hot spring is ...well not my cuppa. It had about 8 guys drinking beer in it. Just......no. Enjoyed the trail. It's good for families with small children. Just don't let them near that cesspool - oops - hot spring! The drive there is nerve racking. The road is gravel & halfway there splits. You're driving on a narrow gravel one way road through a ravine until it comes together again. The parking lot is generous, but was full when we went on a late Sun afternoon in April.