Barton Creek From Camp Craft Road Entrance to Twin Falls Trail

Barton Creek From Camp Craft Road Entrance to Twin Falls Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Don't forget where you came in from! Really nice trail but the river is all dried up. Some narrow parts some rocky some flat trails

So this time I went in the morning, plenty of parking on the main road at the north end. Running was good. Temperature was good, only one other guy at first on the whole trail, saw him a few times.

Somewhere along the trail, I took a left instead of right/straight, without realizing it. It was a good hill climb, and I ended up at the loop 360 access. On the map here, the trails at the 360 access show a sharp turn, then up the access road. I guess I took some other trail offshoot a little further down the trail, and like I said it was a good hill climb.

After discovering I locked my keys in my car, I decided- while waiting for my wife to come get me- to go down the hill of life and take an eastward turn to the dam. Less trees, more open, you can see the cliff face by the creek that way. The trail I was on was smooth single track, but I only went for a little ways- had to get back to my car before my wife did :P I'm definitely gonna explore this more when I have the time.

Loved it. Not crowded on a Tuesday mid-morning to early afternoon. Lots of shade except on and near the Hill of Life. Did not see any bikers at all this time. Very peaceful and beautiful. We had parked at Mopac service road and made a wrong turn heading back to the parking strip at the end, so pay attention or else you end up with a 7.2 mile hike instead.

Good parking at the north end of the trail, south end of the trail it's hard to find.

But hey, the whole reason this trail route exists- there are two other routes on this same trail already- is the infamous "Hill of Life". The Hill of Life basically the last half mile of north end of the trail. You can go to the falls, climb some walls, or get to the other parts of the greenbelt, but the main draw is the Hill of Life.

Small, medium, large, and humongous loose rocks cover entire trail up the Hill of Life. There are some stationary rocks too. Also, high steps- some short concrete and asphalt barriers, I guess to help stop erosion, have themselves eroded on the edges, leaving f\one to two foot steps up- there's about five, six, seven of them (I've only been there once). In less than half a mile, you'll climb almost 300 feet.

yes, you can casual hike it, even bring some kids (I'd suggest no stroller). But the main attraction is for the serious hikers, and especially serious trail runner and doubly especially the serious bikers. You wanna do some good hill repeats? Go else where, unless the repeats you're looking for is a hill obstacle course. These hill repeats will kill!

4 stars for nature, 2 for humanity.

This trail is lovely but it is hard to get past the poop bags and sonic cups and punk 17 years olds with techno music.

Might be better on a week day?

Also don't trust the starting point on this. You have to exit early and go along the frontage road in order to access.

The hill of life is a character building opportunity, but well worth it to see the nice views along the creek. The falls are especially scenic. Not quite as challenging as River Bend, but walking up the hill took the wind of of this big guys sails.

The one negative is there are simply too many dogs of their leashes which is against the rules anyway.

Great morning of exploring and hiking. loved it!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

This trail is very nice! Well shaded and has lots of rocks along the path! The views from the trail are amazing with the hills and waterfalls! The only downside is that this trail is VERY popular which means there's always a ton of people hiking the trail and hanging out by the falls so if you want a more quiet trail I wouldn't recommend this one. Very nice place to go swimming, chill in a hammock and hike! My dog loves to go swimming near the falls, we always have a great time!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Monday, November 30, 2015

geocaching
Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I've explored most of this green belt during my summer here, but for some reason had not come here before. Big regret. This was my favorite portion. Lots of geocaching to be found, tons of small trails to wander around, and beautiful views.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015