Balcones Canyonlands Indiangrass Trail

Balcones Canyonlands Indiangrass Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marble Falls, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Nice trail. A little elevation. Not too crowded.

Not worth the drive. The trail has hardly any shade. Very narrow we were kind of worried about snakes. No water except one spot and it was very small.

Pretty views. Stacked loops let you make the hike as long as you want.

Beautiful trail! Nice hike, challenging areas, and the 2 people that were there working were so nice and helpful! Will be back

What a beautiful hike! Had the chance to check out all the trails and they were all great! Very peaceful and relaxing. We did run across a coral snake so just be cautious!

Nice secluded trail...good for a morning stretch out hike. Cow Creek is beautifully clear. Make sure that you include the Indian Grass trail in your hike...completes the experience!

Loved it! Took 6 kids, youngest was 4 (he rode on my shoulders much of the time). Did the whole trail in about two hours. Definitely a winner.

Very nice in springtime. Green, plenty of cover, not too hot. Not too muddy, either, even after a morning rain.
Probably better to take it counterclockwise; that way, the short dull section (along an old internal ranch road) is at the end.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

One of the best hikes I've ever done! Highly recommended to all!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

The trail lives up to reviews, it includes a creek, hills, shady trees, cactus and grasses. Busy enough that you are not alone, but not at all crowded.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Pretty hike, but nothing too challenging or breathtaking. It's the perfect hike for beginners or those who just want to clear their minds.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Great trail to push out of shape feet and body.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This was a great place to hike with our family. We have a 4 and 1 year old who loved it. My 72 year old mother also came and greatly enjoyed it. We went on the short trails - pond and prairie & creek trail that had a old homestead house that the boys loved playing in. Carry lots of water and bring sunscreen and bug repellent.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

walked all the trails and loved the quiet and peaceful scenery.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Beautiful and peaceful!

Monday, August 29, 2016

it made for enjoyable afternoon. the quiet is nice. Lightly traveled, and the few hikers were very friendly and considerate.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

It was a good hike and the first trail was not hard on the legs and there was some really pretty areas to stop and admire the view.

Friday, July 08, 2016

I love this trail! It's well maintained and and challenging. I had my granddaughter with me today, so we completed about half of the available trails, but I definitely will return to complete the rest.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Great trail, nice views, signage could be better, not heavily trafficked. There are restrooms at trailhead. Cell service is non-existent on parts of the trail. There are some short easy trails near the trailhead but the longer loops are definitely not easy; moderate intensity with creek crossings, somewhat steep inclines, and narrow trails.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Nice hike. This trail offers some really nice open views which you don't get on alot of other trails.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Awesome trail! I didn't think it was easy. I would say moderate.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Nice trail all the way around. Beautiful overlooks as you go around the ridge lines and a nice surprise awaits when you get on the backside of Indian Grass trail as it really opens up. Very. Never knew Texas was this beautiful.

Monday, April 04, 2016

nice hike little rocky but will get your heart going with some elevations. great veiws and awsome drive out. also not a lot of people so its even better.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Secluded. Great creek crossings and awesome views. Not dogs allowed though. :-(

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Nice place

Monday, November 23, 2015

My favorite hike in Texas so far! Central Texas is lacking in trails with varying elevation, for sure. Not this place! Rocky hills, running creeks, and fall foliage during November. Quiet and peaceful, too. It's like a happy little secret place. I especially enjoyed examining the fossils along the Indiangrass Trail. I've got a ton of photos at the link I included!

Sunday, November 22, 2015

What a great place! Crystal clear streams, fall foliage, and tons of fossils on the southeast corner of Indiangrass Trail. We followed the outer edge and hiked all the loops, and my track says it was just under 6 miles. Be aware that there are a few water crossings. Our feet got a little wet but it wasn't bad. Overall a great hike, and one of my favorites in Central Texas so far.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Hiked the Creek and Rimrock trails. Nice little hike with a running creek. Minimal wildlife if you don't count the lizards. Will go back to do the Indian grass trail soon.

Monday, February 02, 2015

My 7 year old and I hiked at Doeskin Ranch on Superbowl Sunday. We hiked the creek trail, rimrock trail, a part of shin oak trail, and Indian grass trail. The trails were well maintained and I did not see a single piece of trash. This is a diverse mix of trails that includes woods, a creek, a moderate incline/decline, prairie grass, and a pond.

We had an excellent time and the trails were easy enough for my little one but presented a small challenge. I really liked the fact that all of the trails intertwined, and we were able to hike on all of them, making one giant loop. We hiked just a little over 4 miles and only saw one other person on the trails. We will definitely be back and look forward to trying the other trails at the refuge. One of the best things about hiking is enjoying God's beautiful creations at little to no cost; this one was free. Happy hiking!

Monday, August 04, 2014

The headquarters entrance is closed on weekends. However, there is a place called Warbler Vista a few miles back and this is open on weekends. (Here is a map:

If you follow Ridgeline Trail all the way to the end, there is an amazing scenic overlook.

Much of the trails are shaded and the Ridgeline trail has a lot of fun inclines.