Aztec Cave Trail

Aztec Cave Trail is a 1.2 mile out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

From the trailhead, follow the trail up in a S-SE direction for 0.72 miles to arrive at the cave. There are benches for resting at several scenic overlooks along the trail. This is a good trail for kids and dogs.

Loved it!!! It’s a lot of incline, lose rocks! I would recommend you take a hiking stick!

This was a great hike! I took my 10 year old along and he had no problem keeping up. When we got to the caves El Paso PD was there conducting extraction training. They took the time to explain what they were doing which my son loved. Shout out to our men and women in blue!

Great hike . Lots of rocks to slip on so be careful! Near the top is a little steep but the peace at the top of the caves is worth it !

It was moderate for 3/4 of the trail but the end near the caves is extremely steep. I could not make it to the top. My anxiety and vertigo became severe and after several panic attacks I sat on a boulder while my husband explored the caves. With the hazardous rock laden trail and its steepness, and my panic induced stops, it took a total of three hours.

This trail is moderate for experienced hikers and thrill seekers.

Good hike but the rocky trail surface is annoying and provides for a precarious trip down!

Great quick hike! It's a bit challenging towards the top but the caves up there provide a cool respite :)

Great hike and pet friendly

steep at the end!!

love this trail

windy day but nice overcast.

On the first page this is marked easy, once you click on it, it says moderate. the last bit up to the cave I would say is difficult, it is a great hike though.

Fun, fun, and more fun

Nice short hike, the last part is a little bit steep and slippery due to sand and loose gravel. I was going fast and it took me about 20mins to get up. The view is amazing and the caves are nice. Perfect for a quick hike.

This was an amazing hike. It gets a little difficult towards the top going up and back down but still so fun! Even our dogs loved it! Make sure to bring lots of water and go earlier in the day as it gets very hot very quickly. You can also camp on the designated areas along the trail! Definitely will be going back!

I loved this trail. A little steep near the cave but well worth it!

Can’t wait to do this trail again

pretty neat trail. a little diificult at the top due to loose material. disappointed that you can no longer see any pictographs. please don't let your dog poop in the trail.

Took my dogs out to find some good hiking trails since moving from Colorado. This trail is a nice one, a bit steep towards the caves, but beautiful views once you get to the top. Dogs loved the caves as well.

This was our first hike moving here to El Paso and we thought it was a great start! Definitely gets a little harder near the top due to elevation but it’s short enough to still enjoy without getting too tired. Very popular during the afternoon but if you go in the morning it seems to be clear!

this is a beautiful place and the scenery (especially at the top) was amazing, but it was a little challenging with our smaller children. we made it to the top though!

Nice trail for novice hikers. I would be alert of falling or loose rocks, steep last quarter of the hike , just below the caves. Beautiful views once you make it up!

Nice easy and quick trail. Suitable for families. Last quarter is bit steep but nothing that was difficult. Good for a quick up and down if you're short on time.

It was a tough trail for me as I haven’t been hiking in years, but it was worth it! I saw the faint petroglyph on the wall. Someone had scrawled their name over it but you can still see it! Just knowing an ancient people were there is amazing! Loved it.

Great hike, nice view. I loved the echo the caves made when we got to the top.

great hike. A little hard to find the trail at the start.

Great trail for families. But be careful at the top where it gets a little steep. Loose rocks make it tough with little kids. They loved the caves though.

The trail was pretty busy on a Sunday afternoon. Probably better to go on a weekday. It’s a nice hike but there are a few spots with loose gravel so watch your step.

little difficult toward the end for the kiddos

It’s a very easy hike, but when you arrive to the cave it’s just beautiful.

Not a very difficult walk, a little steep at the end. Have hiked it several times with my dogs.