Aztec Cave Trail

Aztec Cave Trail is a 0.7 mile out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Hike up a desert arroyo to a mountain cave. From the trailhead, follow the trail up in a S-SE direction for 0.72 miles to arrive at the cave. There are benches for resting at several scenic overlooks along the trail. This is a good trail for kids and dogs.

It is difficult as you get closer to the caves. Bring plenty of water. I would consider it more moderate than easy.

This is the hardest "easy" trail I've done. I visit regularly to workout. It's a super short hike but it's steep and really gets your heart pumping. It is slippery coming down especially towards the top, I fall (very minor slips) every single time. I recommend hiking shoes or something with good grip. The caves are really cool and the view from the top is great! This is one of my favorite trails, I always bring my friends here when they want to hike in the city. Dog friendly!!!

This was a great short hike to take my two small dogs on. Even with how steep it gets towards the top, they made it just fine and I got a slight leg work out out of it. A positive is there is a covered picnic table to stop at for shade half way up, a huge boulder for another break in the shade (at least for my dogs), and finally at the top the caves made for a great place for pictures and a water break before heading back down. I'd do this trail again for my dogs or when my daughter gets old enough to take out to some trails.

My son and I hiked this trail in 2016 when he was 15. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia so I hike at a pretty slow pace. I started using trekking poles while hiking in Colorado on snow-covered trails in April of 2016. The poles were such a huge help for my knees that I have continued using them. They really saved my knees coming down-hill on this trail. It's worth the climb, awesome views, but a bit of a challenge for short folks whose knees don't work very well.

Careful on your way down

Not Easy due to incline goes straight up a mountain. A moderate hike. The cave is really just a large hole. Very rocky, steep climb. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous wildflowers, and much more.

Great little hike. My elevation change said 550, not 181. Harder on the way down due to loose sand and rock. So, more moderate than easy.

Trail was a great workout, not an easy trail hike due to elevation.

Super fun!

Kid friendly. Took our 4 year old walking and a 3 month old in a lillebaby carrier up this trail. Had picnic tables about 1/3 way on lower part of the trail. Great hike. It's a little steep right at the base of the cave and some loose rock but we were able to do it with little effort. Bring wipes. The cave is very dusty and my child's hand were filthy after. He had a blast climbing all over though!!!

Great hiking trails, don't think it's an easy trail going up was easy but a bit rocky especially towards the top of trail,coming back was a little harder but was a good hike even for a beginner.

Great hike! We did this hike in December with snow on the ground. Not difficult except for some rocky areas. Definitely worth the hike and great for beginners.

Great little hike. Gets rocky last bit up to caves and around further up. Definitely worth doing. Ideal for a lunch spot on a warm day. Heavily trafficked.