Aztec Cave Trail

Aztec Cave Trail is a 0.7 mile out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Hike up a desert arroyo to a mountain cave. From the trailhead, follow the trail up in a S-SE direction for 0.72 miles to arrive at the cave. There are benches for resting at several scenic overlooks along the trail. This is a good trail for kids and dogs.

This hike was great and one of the harder ones I've done. It felt very steep at some points and the climb up to the caves was difficult for me. In my opinion this is a moderate trail not an easy one.

This trail was really beautiful and the cave was really cool. I will say I would probably rate this as moderate because the gravel on the trail makes it hard to walk without slipping. Take lots of water and enjoy the view

Great hike. Took my 11, 10 and 7 kids up this trail. We took it to the caves, then continue above them to an overlook where you can see the park enterance.

Great trail with moderate climbing and great scenery , awesome views from start to finish

amazing view

It is difficult as you get closer to the caves. Bring plenty of water. I would consider it more moderate than easy.

This is the hardest "easy" trail I've done. I visit regularly to workout. It's a super short hike but it's steep and really gets your heart pumping. It is slippery coming down especially towards the top, I fall (very minor slips) every single time. I recommend hiking shoes or something with good grip. The caves are really cool and the view from the top is great! This is one of my favorite trails, I always bring my friends here when they want to hike in the city. Dog friendly!!!

This was a great short hike to take my two small dogs on. Even with how steep it gets towards the top, they made it just fine and I got a slight leg work out out of it. A positive is there is a covered picnic table to stop at for shade half way up, a huge boulder for another break in the shade (at least for my dogs), and finally at the top the caves made for a great place for pictures and a water break before heading back down. I'd do this trail again for my dogs or when my daughter gets old enough to take out to some trails.

My son and I hiked this trail in 2016 when he was 15. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia so I hike at a pretty slow pace. I started using trekking poles while hiking in Colorado on snow-covered trails in April of 2016. The poles were such a huge help for my knees that I have continued using them. They really saved my knees coming down-hill on this trail. It's worth the climb, awesome views, but a bit of a challenge for short folks whose knees don't work very well.

Careful on your way down