Ameri Trail Forest Loop is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Caney, Texas that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Ameri Trail at Lake Houston Park. A 10 mile loop that can take anywhere from 5-6 hours depending on pace. 256 feet of elevation gain. Super wet in some areas. There are four very primitive camping sights, each spaced out very well and have their own fire pits for fire and grilling. Well marked with signs and blue blazes.

Nice walk with dog with plenty of access to Caney creek for dog to cool down. Take several bottles of water and bug spray for the chiggers.

We came to hike, camp, and do a bit of trail riding. There are plenty of trails to hike. When you check in when you first pull in, you have to make a reservation and they’ll put you in your own camping spot and give you a map! They have dishing, canoeing, showers, a dining hall, everything! If you’re going on a weekend I’d call ahead and reserve your spot since they say they get packed, but we came last minute on a Thursday afternoon and got a good spot! The only downside was tent camping. It was good at first, but there are plenty of coyotes. They howl all night long and one of them got too close to our tent so we packed up and left. I’d recommend renting out a cabin they have there. Their fees are on their website!

It was a good trail, pretty easy. Only the camp sites are too close to the main trail for me

Pretty easy to follow trail between the signs and blue dots on the trees. A bit overgrown in places but nothing major. In July it’s certainly not muddy but pretty sandy.

It was okay I went after it rained so it may have just been too humid. The animals are really out and active ! I saw plenty of deers and snakes ! So be careful . But it is very clean and the trail is really peaceful.

I was looking for a 5 mile run and I came across the review from David above. I live about 45 minutes away, but I absolutely fell in love with this park this morning. From the parking at the Nature Center I hopped on the Forest Trail for a very short bit, then the Peach Creek South Loop Trail for about .6 until it intersected with the Ameri-Trail. By the time I finished the Ameri-Trail, I was already at 5.5 miles, so it may be more than the 3.8 as the map describes. My guesstimate is 4.5? Unless I took a wrong turn :-)

The Ameri-Trail is fantastic. I submitted the GPS snapshot of my run. Mostly flat, one-person wide, but not overgrown, with some rooty climbs and intermittent slow sandy sections. But the multiple views of Caney Creek are wonderful, along with a bog overlook near the very end (if you like bogs). There were boat/barge crews along the edge clearing fallen trees and stumps along the creek edge. If you have kids with you, the best views of, and access points to Peach Creek are on the South Creek Loop Trail.

At the end of the Ameri-Trail, I continued north on the 5 Mile Road (which is more trail than road at the southernly end) until 7.5 miles. I walked the rest of the way on the 5-Mile Road then took the Yaupon Trail to the Peach Creek South Loop Trail and took that west and then north along the Peach Creek which had nice views. Finally, back at the Nature Center lot. Restroom and showers were spotless. Met Delilah, who was there cleaning them. I’m writing a letter to the Park about my overall great experience. I’ll be back to try the Loggers Trail next.

Did this loop Memorial Day weekend. It was really nice. A relaxing 13 miles with both our dogs. It rained really hard overnight and the trail still wasn't too muddy in the morning. Bring horsefly repellent. They were the reason the trail lost a star for us. The whole 30 hours we were there we saw two hikers and three or four bikes and that was it. If you are primitive camping ask for primitive site 3 or 4. it is a 3 miles hike to camp but well worth it to be out of the traffic of the closer sites. All in all it is one of our favorites so far in the cesspool of Southeast Texas.