Woodland Trail Loop

Woodland Trail Loop is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Millington, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

Had a great hike yesterday with the family. Did the full trail which ended up right at 4 miles. Trail has great markings and is well maintained.

First half (clockwise) is very hilly, second half is relatively flat. For the best workout do the first half then turn around and come back the same way. Doubling back creates the most challenging trail I've been able to find within a 30 mile drive.

Beautiful woodland hike. Hilly in areas. Trail well marked.

Good for dogs as long as it isn't summer time (bugs are bad). If you start on the left, you get the hardest part out of the way first. Coming out takes 1/2 the time as packing in. It is hilly in some spots but easy to do with a few breaks.

woodland trails moderate +, great workout and pretty. trails well markd

This is my favorite trail near Memphis. it is a very dense beautiful forest and filled with wildlife. It's much Hillier than you would expect. The bugs can get pretty bad sometimes so make sure you prepare!

Much more hilly than I thought it would be, which was great!

Well maintained and marked. Fun with dogs.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Great trails! Best in Memphis!

Monday, January 02, 2017

I have been out here several times to run for big races. Today we took several kids ages from 4-14 and all did great. The new signage and blaze marks made it a fun hike with climbs.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great hike. Several levels (1 mi, 3 mi, and 4 mi) of loops. Good for beginner - moderate hikers.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful forest views. Some steep hills which my 48 year old knees acutely felt. Red Trail was well marked. Took me close to 2 hours as I stepped carefully on the inclines and declines. Wear bug spray. bring water and snack for replenishing after the walk.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Decent and enjoyable mostly in the fall and winter. Spring is nice too if you catch it early. Otherwise the mosquitos are the size of your hand and will carry you off.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Enjoyed this hike. We followed the red signs and it has plenty of short but somewhat steep hills.

Friday, October 16, 2015

This is a really nice, well marked trail. For West TN it's very hilly, and a little challenging. It was quiet and clean and I felt far away from the city.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

This is a nice trail. We have camped at this park many times to take advantage of semi urban location. The tail has many elevation changes and a is well maintained.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Had a blast walking The Woodland Trail, ran across two snakes and me and my boyfriend had the awesome opportunity to have 2+ horsefly's follow us the entire hike, which made us keep a steady pace or else they would land on us and bite us. We came back the very next day and rode on the bike path as well as explored the abandoned pool/lodges (ohhh ahhh) and the lake.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day hike. It had rained the day before, so there were downed limbs/trees. Tons of mosquitos. Very glad I brought the bug spray - you'll need to reapply half way through. The south part of the trail is the hilliest. It will test you. I'm glad I put it at the beginning of my hike. There is only one sharp incline at the tail end if you take the south part first. Oh, the welcome station has topo maps, but the trail is really well marked. Can't miss it.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Woodland Trail (red trail) is a terrific 3+ mile loop. The northern leg is much flatter than the southern leg. You can get a very scenic interval workout on the southern leg of the trail. Great for kids and adults.

Saturday, March 07, 2015

My girlfriend and I did the woodland trail both directions with backpacks on while we train for the PCT. There are a couple good hills and definitely worth the trip. It rained throughout the day which made the hills a little slippery. All-in-all a pretty good hike and pretty close to Memphis

Monday, November 03, 2014

I must say this was more than I bargained for. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. The trails were challenging and I had to rest, but I was so excited to see my car.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

This close to Memphis trail offers lots of fun ups and down climbs on the 3 mile loop Woodland trail, also opportunity to extend mileage where pioneer spring trail meets at woodland shelter, pioneer spring trail has nice flesh water spring to refill water bottle or camelback. In summer, lots of skeeters, bring bug spray.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I love the red loop out here. If you need some hill work in Memphis, Shelby Forrest is the place to go. Well kept and pretty.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

If you're looking for a nice, close to the city, mid-difficulty conditioning hike for testing out pack-weight when backpacking or just getting some exercise trail-running, you can do worse than the eight miles out and back on the CBT. I recommend parking by the Visitor's Centre trailhead at the Woodland trail shelter and heading south towards the lake. This is a fun 4.5 miles with some interesting ups and downs which passes the Woodland trail shelter where you can stop for lunch, and the ruins of the Pioneer Spring shelter where you can pump water if you're getting low on the way back.

Great trail!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

There are 5 trails in this park: Chickasaw Bluff (8mi), Woodland (3mi), a bicycle trail (paved 5mi), Pioneer Springs (3.5mi), and an 8mi horse trail.

I moved to Memphis not too long ago and found out this park was not too far from my house. I ended up taking an early morning walk on the bicycle trail. In the morning it's not too hot, and some nice scenery, but the bugs are the biggest obstacle. I had no bites and didn't use bug spray, but the constant buzzing made me put on headphones. Other than that, it was a relaxing walk.

The trails aren't always marked easily, so grab a map before you head out if you get lost easily.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

My family and I love hiking this trail. We've been hiking here since our youngest girls were 4 & 5 and it wasn't too difficult for them (with a little help). Though there's storm damage, the trail has been cleared and is well-maintained. Bring lunch and stop near the shelter for a break! Scouts have constructed benches near it and they give a nice break in the hike.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Great trail the three mile loop. Take the 3 mile loop sign first not the campsite one. The first 1.5 is a killer, then the last 1.35 is flat ground. My scout troop did the trail 3 1/2 tines for ten miles Monday and Wednesday.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Close to home, I'm pretty new to hiking but am finding it to be quite a challenge. Lot of storm damage, but if I wanted a nice neat trail, I'd go walk in a city park. The steps up hill will kick your butt!