Window Cliffs

Window Cliffs is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Window Cliff Estates, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Note: Pets are not allowed. Camping and climbing is prohibited. For more information please visit: https://tnstateparks.com/parks/info/burgess-falls Please be mindful that this trail is rated as "Hard" because it crosses a creek. Water levels vary depending on weather conditions. After periods of rain, the water level will be higher and the creek may be difficult to cross. Park opens at 8am.

VERY STRENUOUS!! VERY WORTHWHILE!! Please make sure to bring a backpack with hydration & snacks. Heavily inclined.

I wouldn't consider the trail hard. There is hardly any elevation gain and the creek crossings weren't terrible. I went late July and some of the creeks were dry or hardly had any water. Definitely wear water shoes, otherwise your shoes will be wet the entire time. I had a hard time locating the viewing area of the window cliffs. It says overlook, but usually when it says that you assume it's below you, but instead you need to look up and you will see them. Definitely missed that and had to ask another hiker. So be sure to look up!

This is a marvelous hike. Wear proper shoes and clothes for getting wet. Depending on the levels, the creek can be high or low. If current is mild, great swimming holes. Pack a lunch and enjoy the view. Before it was a park, it was not as diverse as now. Great low lands to enjoy. State has done a great job putting in split rails to keep you from sliding down the hills (thanks)! If in the area, please enjoy but know this is a hike, not a walk in the woods. The hard rating is earned

Closed for today due to strong currents

This is a great trail. I liked it better before it became a park due to all the people that are now on it. But it's a great place with beautiful views. Just remember if you go to the bottom, you will be walking through a creek most of the way, so wear appropriate shoes.

It’s really nice hike overall. I took my 7 year old and she got through all the creek crossings just fine and we hiked all the way to the cliff. Just wear shoes made for hiking and getting wet and you’re good. The only bad part is the hike back to the parking lot because it is steep!

Beautiful hike. But please be cautious, especially with children. The cliffs have no railing and four of the nine river crossings lack guide wire as they have flooded. Otherwise a wonderful experience

what an awesome hike. very hot and the water crossings were great. hardest part for me was the incline coming back out, had to just take my time. and yes the wild blackberry's were a very nice treat. most likely will be our annual 4th of July hike.

Went today and loved it. The hike was great and the creek crossings were a welcome sight. 97 degree temps made the creek that much better. Oh , and the wild blackberries were awesome.

Great hike!! You will definitely get wet, great on a hot day. I would rate moderate, but the hike from the last creek crossing to the parking lot is steep. Poles or walking stick are a must. Will definitely be back.

Did the hike in about 1 hour 30 min. The water level was low when I went so no need to remove my steel toe boots. The hardest part of the hike was at the front of the trail after that it's smooth hiking. Looked around the cliffs a little and the signage is there for a reason, the limestone is extremely fragile and no good footing around it. Explore at your own risk

Great trail, did it in a little over 2 hours. Bring extra socks, you cross creeks 9 times each direction so your feet will get wet. Not necessarily worth going all the way to the top, but there’s a nice lookout of the formation and then a little further is a waterfall, I’d stop there if I were to go again. But definitely recommend!

A friend and I did the trail in 4 hours from 11 AM to 3 PM. We are middle-aged women in decent shape. We took our time and were in no hurry. We ate lunch at the second creek crossing and took time to sit in the creeks when we got hot. This was the hottest day of the year this summer. There are some portions that required us to walk in the full sun, so sunscreen, hats, bandanna, and sunglasses are a good idea.

There is one trail and it is well-blazed and marked with signage that tells you how far to the actual cliffs and how far back to the parking lot. The trail is well-maintained although it narrows in parts. It wasn't too overgrown and the proof was that I had no ticks at the end of it. I have had ticks on other trails this summer (Bearwaller Gap in Carthage , TN).

There are only 2 strenupus parts. One is the ascent up to the cliffs, which is 0.75 miles. The other tough part is the climb out at the end of the hike. Even with the switchbacks, the last mile is steep and I had to stop and catch my breath several times. I am not that out of shape, but it was HOT!

There are 9 creek crossings - marked as "CC" on the trail. Only crossings 3 and 4 were dry. The rest had water. It was so nice to walk through the cool water. You get to go through these same 9 creek crossings on the way back. My friend and I wore water shoes. I wore Chacos and she wore Keens. I checked out other hikers on the trail and the majority wore some kind of water shoe. Most also wore clothes that would allow them to get wet.

There are no bathrooms at the trailhead other than port-a-potties. No vending machines, so take a lot of water, at least a liter. I take two just to be on the safe side. Pets are not allowed on the trails. This is a kid-friendly trail until you get to the actual cliffs, which are very narrow. I would not want to take young kids up on the cliffs.

We had a good time and will definitely go back!

Great hike. Water was low so I was able to cross creeks without removing waterproof boots. The Cliffs views were cool.

Great all around hike. Somewhat challenging but well worth it once you reach the cliffs. The really only difficult part of the trail is a good deal of switchbacks near the beginning of the trail, it’s comparable to the fall creek falls staircase but shorter. You do have to cross about 9 streams so be wary of high water. I did this hike entirely in my chacos in case you were wondering about footwear. This hike is also in a great location!About 15 minutes from burgess falls and also very close to Cummins falls! Overall it is a great hike and I would certainly recommend it!

Great trail but not for everyone.

I am 46 years old and I try to hike once a week. I would rate this a easy/moderate hike, not hard. I did the entire hike in my chacos. There are 9 cable creek crossings so you have to have water shoes. The deepest creek was knee high in certain spots. Great hike with a beautiful waterfall and insane view. Would love to do it again!

Great hike. Water wasn't too high in October, below our knees for sure. The window cliffs were a great spot to chill out and eat lunch. Hiking out on the switchbacks was the hardest part, but it wasn't very difficult or long. Close enough drive to Burgess Falls to add that on as well for a full day.

Awesome place to hike. Don’t be afraid to go a little off trail to check out the nature itself around the creeks. Also warning-on the cliffs, when you get there, don’t let a weak stomach get to you and stay in the cable area. Me and my friends went around the cable railing and climbed the side of the cliff to another cliff rock. Very nerve wracking and intense even if you are careful. Awesome hike to take friends!

Such a great hike! Relatively easy too!

A must do hike if your in the area- you will get wet, depending on how much rain the area has had the water could be high, my 6-year-old son loved it but if the water had been higher, there is definitely enough current it could be an issue for smaller kids(even with the cables). The area is gated so check the posted hours and plan accordingly but it is well worth it

Nice water fall can’t get close

Luckily The water wasn’t too high, our feet did get wet. The hike back up gets you a little on the way out. Very nice trail and the cliffs were stunning. Overall we had a great time!!

did not like having wet feet the whole hike. And I have seen better views.

I really liked it. But since it had rained the day before, crossing the creeks was extremely difficult. The water got up to my waist in some parts. 9 total so you go through creeks 18 times. IMPORTANT!! So I got there at 6:30, but the park was closed and I didn’t see a sign with the hours of operation. I ended up going down the road to Burgess Falls. There was a state park officer, he told me Windows Cliff OPENS AT 8:00 am!!!! Plan accordingly!

Great hike the creek crossings were more like river crossing though would probably hike again if I could bring my dog but until then probably won't

Very nice way to spend 2-3hrs. Nothing super special and you have to cross 9 creeks twice so its not super convenient but is very close to cookeville is quite nice when you finally get to the top.

beautiful area and amazing waterfall. just a warning, the cable at Crossing 6 is out, be careful crossing it