Window Cliffs

Window Cliffs is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Window Cliff Estates, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

I went here based on the hard rating. Middle of July, 90 plus temp, day after it rained in our area. Small gravel walk up to get to the trail. Zigzag down ridge. Kinda treacherous, but doable, taken slowly.

Then it's just a long, easy walk crossing 9 creek crossings. Bring a change of shoe, or bring some hybrid that can handle water and hiking. I brought sandals and switched to them at CC1. I never found a need to switch back to hikers until I got back to CC1 on the return. Definitely want something other than a sandal for the ascent at the end.

The ascent to the Window Cliffs is a decent incline, but I would rate this more of a moderate, unless it had been storming recently, or had steady rains the previous days.

My scoring of this trail may be colored by my disappointment at the lack of difficulty. I had done the Fiery Gizzard loop 2 days prior and was looking for a similar, though shorter, challenge. So, if you aren't looking to test your abilities on the hardest trails you can find, this may be the trail for you. Personally, my next goal is Mount LeConte, or completing the Gizzard full trail.

nice trail,fun walk. Needs overnight camping, and no dog rule enforced.

Def. be prepared
Strenuous hike,pack plenty of drinking water

Nothing says they close at 7pm.

view wasn't necessarily worth the hike

Was a great hike. Be ready for the water crossings as there is 8 total. But there are ropes and if you take your time they aren't bad at all. The Cliffs are great. I am not the biggest fan of rock climbing and cliff bluffs but I did enjoy the top of these. Not too tough of a climb back either. Pay attention to the path as I did come up on a couple snakes crossing the trail. Path is very well marked, several places to stop and splash around and the gorge is just spectacular.

Great trail, my kids loved it!

Water levels are high this summer, so the creeks and falls are magnificent. I was glad I read the advice to bring shoes appropriate for water. We saw others who lost shoes at one of the 18 cable crossings and ended up barefoot on the trails. Go ahead and hike out to the window cliffs; it is worth it! (Be aware that the full out and back route is 5.5 miles)

Good trail, 9 water crossings, 1 water fall, and amazing views... my recorder stopped recording halfway through the hike... bummer...

Coolest trail I've done in Tennessee. Proper footwear for the creek crossings is absolutely vital. Can't wait to do this one again!

Very easy trail and it was well marked. I just didn't really care much for it. If it weren't for the creek crossings it would have been downright boring.

Love this trail. Took my kids and they had a blast on all of the water crossings. As a parent, the cliff part at the end is a little unnerving, but I would still do it again!

This if a great hike. The trails are all marked very well. The hike is about 50/50 shade and sun. There's plenty of places to stop and rest or stop and enjoy the water. All water crossings have cables so you can hold on and not slip. Water shoes are a must or be prepared to have soaked shoes. I brought my hammock and there were plenty of places throughout the hike to Hammie. My favorite was by the small waterfall. If you're just hiking to the overlook, I would suggest going in the fall. I went in June and couldn't see the window because of the trees.

This is the best it gets for 100 miles! The hike is not too strenuous. Water shoes are a must. The 18 river crossings are a blast! The hike down and up the cliffs are enough elevation to get your heart pumping. The scenery is stunning. love, love, love this hike. the trail is marked very well and the cables over thwe rivers are a great help. I will definitely be bringing friends and family to spread the joy!