Window Cliffs

Window Cliffs is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Window Cliff Estates, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Fantastic hike and views, wish I had brought my below the knee waders. Would have helped with all the water crossings, but managed to keep my feet dry. Great day with my Hilltop Hikers!

Absolutely beautiful! We went in the begging of December and we had the whole park to ourselves. We arrived at 2:00 pm and the winter hours the park closes at 4:00 so we had to rush to do the trail. This trail was a little more vigorous than expected; however, being 4 months pregnant and rushing through it, it could just be me! Every .25 mike there is a different scene. I️ look forward to going next time when we have more time and I’m not as pregnant :)

Love this place. The log on the waterfall was washed away with the heavy waters last month. The cables that were damaged are repaired now.

FYI dogs are not allowed on the trail.

Great hiking with my German Shepherds!

Beautiful trail. Be ready to cross several creeks and maybe even get wet.

There are 9 creek crossings one way, so 18 all together, and they are numbered (e.g., CC 7). The creek is wide enough that, unless water levels are very low, there's no way but through the water. I wasn't sure how that would go, but the creek crossings ended up being a neat feature of this hike. We wore boots or sneakers at first and then switched to chacos once we reached the 1st crossing. It was in the high 50s, so the water was cold enough that we didn't dawdle. Surprisingly, only creek crossings 8 and 9 were slippery at all. The water was higher than normal due to flooding 5 days prior, but it wasn't too deep for wading. The deepest spot we traversed was maybe 2.5 feet. I developed a blister from the chacos and was thankful we were prepared for that. The window cliffs are amazing, and walking on the initial top section is fun and safe if you're very careful. There wasn't really room to picnic up there, so we backtracked and ate by the creek. Roundtrip hike took us about 3 hours. Fun time doing something different!

Great hike with several major rewards along the way if you love waterfalls, swimming hole and great views from way up high.

We really enjoyed the trail! Well worth the hike and wading the creeks. Dry weather made a easier trail than it would been if we had rain. Some creek crossings were dried up but you still get wet.

So beautiful.. multiple river crossings like other people said the first climb in and the back out is the toughest but the rest is moderate. I wore lightweight quick drying sneakers and felt they were a great choice with the river crossings. The view is really worth this hike.

Remember no dogs! This is a challenging but rewarding hike. Be prepared to get your feet wet, but also to have your breath taken away by the amazing rock windows!

Really enjoyed this hike

Pretty awesome hike! I could see why this could be rated as a hard hike, since you have to walk across 4-6 streams and then some elevation gain. However if it hasn't been raining to much I would rank this a moderate trail, the water line never made it to my knees. They have wire rope that you can use to help cross streams, water was pretty cold but felt great since it was a warm day. I had mesh tennis shoes on and that worked out perfect. When you get to a sign that says "overlook," take a look at the cliffs above that is where the trail ends. When you make it to the top of the cliffs, it's a beautiful 360 degree view of tree lines. I'm sure it would be beautiful in the later part of fall with all the trees changing colors.
Also, I highly recommend to do Burgess Falls Trail after this trail it was about a 10 minute drive from trail head to trail head. Only a 1 mile hike but the waterfalls left me speechless! I started at 11am and finished both hikes by 4pm...it was worth the drive from Nashville.

Wonderful trail. Not too difficult but make sure to use the cable crossings. Creek rocks can be very slick and depending on when you go the creek may be high. CC 3 and 4 were dry while I was here. Beautiful overlook at the end, though it may be more picturesque in the winter. Overall great experience. Make sure to get here early, as this trail tends to fill up quick.