Window Cliffs

Window Cliffs is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Window Cliff Estates, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

13 minutes ago

Great trail, did it in a little over 2 hours. Bring extra socks, you cross creeks 9 times each direction so your feet will get wet. Not necessarily worth going all the way to the top, but there’s a nice lookout of the formation and then a little further is a waterfall, I’d stop there if I were to go again. But definitely recommend!

A friend and I did the trail in 4 hours from 11 AM to 3 PM. We are middle-aged women in decent shape. We took our time and were in no hurry. We ate lunch at the second creek crossing and took time to sit in the creeks when we got hot. This was the hottest day of the year this summer. There are some portions that required us to walk in the full sun, so sunscreen, hats, bandanna, and sunglasses are a good idea.

There is one trail and it is well-blazed and marked with signage that tells you how far to the actual cliffs and how far back to the parking lot. The trail is well-maintained although it narrows in parts. It wasn't too overgrown and the proof was that I had no ticks at the end of it. I have had ticks on other trails this summer (Bearwaller Gap in Carthage , TN).

There are only 2 strenupus parts. One is the ascent up to the cliffs, which is 0.75 miles. The other tough part is the climb out at the end of the hike. Even with the switchbacks, the last mile is steep and I had to stop and catch my breath several times. I am not that out of shape, but it was HOT!

There are 9 creek crossings - marked as "CC" on the trail. Only crossings 3 and 4 were dry. The rest had water. It was so nice to walk through the cool water. You get to go through these same 9 creek crossings on the way back. My friend and I wore water shoes. I wore Chacos and she wore Keens. I checked out other hikers on the trail and the majority wore some kind of water shoe. Most also wore clothes that would allow them to get wet.

There are no bathrooms at the trailhead other than port-a-potties. No vending machines, so take a lot of water, at least a liter. I take two just to be on the safe side. Pets are not allowed on the trails. This is a kid-friendly trail until you get to the actual cliffs, which are very narrow. I would not want to take young kids up on the cliffs.

We had a good time and will definitely go back!

Great hike. Water was low so I was able to cross creeks without removing waterproof boots. The Cliffs views were cool.

Great all around hike. Somewhat challenging but well worth it once you reach the cliffs. The really only difficult part of the trail is a good deal of switchbacks near the beginning of the trail, it’s comparable to the fall creek falls staircase but shorter. You do have to cross about 9 streams so be wary of high water. I did this hike entirely in my chacos in case you were wondering about footwear. This hike is also in a great location!About 15 minutes from burgess falls and also very close to Cummins falls! Overall it is a great hike and I would certainly recommend it!

Great trail but not for everyone.

I am 46 years old and I try to hike once a week. I would rate this a easy/moderate hike, not hard. I did the entire hike in my chacos. There are 9 cable creek crossings so you have to have water shoes. The deepest creek was knee high in certain spots. Great hike with a beautiful waterfall and insane view. Would love to do it again!

Great hike. Water wasn't too high in October, below our knees for sure. The window cliffs were a great spot to chill out and eat lunch. Hiking out on the switchbacks was the hardest part, but it wasn't very difficult or long. Close enough drive to Burgess Falls to add that on as well for a full day.

Awesome place to hike. Don’t be afraid to go a little off trail to check out the nature itself around the creeks. Also warning-on the cliffs, when you get there, don’t let a weak stomach get to you and stay in the cable area. Me and my friends went around the cable railing and climbed the side of the cliff to another cliff rock. Very nerve wracking and intense even if you are careful. Awesome hike to take friends!

Such a great hike! Relatively easy too!

A must do hike if your in the area- you will get wet, depending on how much rain the area has had the water could be high, my 6-year-old son loved it but if the water had been higher, there is definitely enough current it could be an issue for smaller kids(even with the cables). The area is gated so check the posted hours and plan accordingly but it is well worth it

Nice water fall can’t get close

Luckily The water wasn’t too high, our feet did get wet. The hike back up gets you a little on the way out. Very nice trail and the cliffs were stunning. Overall we had a great time!!

did not like having wet feet the whole hike. And I have seen better views.

I really liked it. But since it had rained the day before, crossing the creeks was extremely difficult. The water got up to my waist in some parts. 9 total so you go through creeks 18 times. IMPORTANT!! So I got there at 6:30, but the park was closed and I didn’t see a sign with the hours of operation. I ended up going down the road to Burgess Falls. There was a state park officer, he told me Windows Cliff OPENS AT 8:00 am!!!! Plan accordingly!

Great hike the creek crossings were more like river crossing though would probably hike again if I could bring my dog but until then probably won't

Very nice way to spend 2-3hrs. Nothing super special and you have to cross 9 creeks twice so its not super convenient but is very close to cookeville is quite nice when you finally get to the top.

beautiful area and amazing waterfall. just a warning, the cable at Crossing 6 is out, be careful crossing it

Awesome trail, beautiful view! Did this one during the warmer months, prepare to trek through the creek more than a couple times.

Had a blast on Sunday!

I’m only giving this a four due to the fact that the creeks were so high that we had to take our shoes off and cross the first cold creek...we ran into another couple coming back who turned around at the sixth creek crossing and they were equipped better than us. So we left...I was extremely bummed. The water level is still pretty high...bring some waterproof boots or come back when the water level is a lot lower. We came out her on a whim, will definitely come back but better prepared.

Only giving it one star because we drove 2.5 hours, only to find the park closed. There was no mention of a closure on the website or social media. It was closed due to flooding and according to a ranger who we spoke to at another park , it will remain closed through Monday, December 26. Can’t wait to come back when it’s open and see the cliffs... and give it more stars!

One of my favorite day trails. Have had the trail to myself both times I have done it. Incredible views from on top the cliffs. (watch your step). Great waterfall. Love the river crossings. The only difficult part about this hike is getting across the streams without slipping.

A truly beautiful hike. There are a lot of creek crossings so be sure to wear adequate footwear. I wasn't aware dogs weren't allowed on the trail and I had my 2 with me, luckily we only ran into a few other hikers. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be allowed if leashed.

Fantastic hike and views, wish I had brought my below the knee waders. Would have helped with all the water crossings, but managed to keep my feet dry. Great day with my Hilltop Hikers!

Absolutely beautiful! We went in the begging of December and we had the whole park to ourselves. We arrived at 2:00 pm and the winter hours the park closes at 4:00 so we had to rush to do the trail. This trail was a little more vigorous than expected; however, being 4 months pregnant and rushing through it, it could just be me! Every .25 mike there is a different scene. I️ look forward to going next time when we have more time and I’m not as pregnant :)

Love this place. The log on the waterfall was washed away with the heavy waters last month. The cables that were damaged are repaired now.

FYI dogs are not allowed on the trail.

Beautiful trail. Be ready to cross several creeks and maybe even get wet.

There are 9 creek crossings one way, so 18 all together, and they are numbered (e.g., CC 7). The creek is wide enough that, unless water levels are very low, there's no way but through the water. I wasn't sure how that would go, but the creek crossings ended up being a neat feature of this hike. We wore boots or sneakers at first and then switched to chacos once we reached the 1st crossing. It was in the high 50s, so the water was cold enough that we didn't dawdle. Surprisingly, only creek crossings 8 and 9 were slippery at all. The water was higher than normal due to flooding 5 days prior, but it wasn't too deep for wading. The deepest spot we traversed was maybe 2.5 feet. I developed a blister from the chacos and was thankful we were prepared for that. The window cliffs are amazing, and walking on the initial top section is fun and safe if you're very careful. There wasn't really room to picnic up there, so we backtracked and ate by the creek. Roundtrip hike took us about 3 hours. Fun time doing something different!

Great hike with several major rewards along the way if you love waterfalls, swimming hole and great views from way up high.