Window Cliffs

Window Cliffs is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Window Cliff Estates, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Great hike the creek crossings were more like river crossing though would probably hike again if I could bring my dog but until then probably won't

Very nice way to spend 2-3hrs. Nothing super special and you have to cross 9 creeks twice so its not super convenient but is very close to cookeville is quite nice when you finally get to the top.

beautiful area and amazing waterfall. just a warning, the cable at Crossing 6 is out, be careful crossing it

Awesome trail, beautiful view! Did this one during the warmer months, prepare to trek through the creek more than a couple times.

Had a blast on Sunday!

I’m only giving this a four due to the fact that the creeks were so high that we had to take our shoes off and cross the first cold creek...we ran into another couple coming back who turned around at the sixth creek crossing and they were equipped better than us. So we left...I was extremely bummed. The water level is still pretty high...bring some waterproof boots or come back when the water level is a lot lower. We came out her on a whim, will definitely come back but better prepared.

Only giving it one star because we drove 2.5 hours, only to find the park closed. There was no mention of a closure on the website or social media. It was closed due to flooding and according to a ranger who we spoke to at another park , it will remain closed through Monday, December 26. Can’t wait to come back when it’s open and see the cliffs... and give it more stars!

One of my favorite day trails. Have had the trail to myself both times I have done it. Incredible views from on top the cliffs. (watch your step). Great waterfall. Love the river crossings. The only difficult part about this hike is getting across the streams without slipping.

A truly beautiful hike. There are a lot of creek crossings so be sure to wear adequate footwear. I wasn't aware dogs weren't allowed on the trail and I had my 2 with me, luckily we only ran into a few other hikers. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be allowed if leashed.

Fantastic hike and views, wish I had brought my below the knee waders. Would have helped with all the water crossings, but managed to keep my feet dry. Great day with my Hilltop Hikers!

Absolutely beautiful! We went in the begging of December and we had the whole park to ourselves. We arrived at 2:00 pm and the winter hours the park closes at 4:00 so we had to rush to do the trail. This trail was a little more vigorous than expected; however, being 4 months pregnant and rushing through it, it could just be me! Every .25 mike there is a different scene. I️ look forward to going next time when we have more time and I’m not as pregnant :)

Love this place. The log on the waterfall was washed away with the heavy waters last month. The cables that were damaged are repaired now.

FYI dogs are not allowed on the trail.

Beautiful trail. Be ready to cross several creeks and maybe even get wet.

There are 9 creek crossings one way, so 18 all together, and they are numbered (e.g., CC 7). The creek is wide enough that, unless water levels are very low, there's no way but through the water. I wasn't sure how that would go, but the creek crossings ended up being a neat feature of this hike. We wore boots or sneakers at first and then switched to chacos once we reached the 1st crossing. It was in the high 50s, so the water was cold enough that we didn't dawdle. Surprisingly, only creek crossings 8 and 9 were slippery at all. The water was higher than normal due to flooding 5 days prior, but it wasn't too deep for wading. The deepest spot we traversed was maybe 2.5 feet. I developed a blister from the chacos and was thankful we were prepared for that. The window cliffs are amazing, and walking on the initial top section is fun and safe if you're very careful. There wasn't really room to picnic up there, so we backtracked and ate by the creek. Roundtrip hike took us about 3 hours. Fun time doing something different!

Great hike with several major rewards along the way if you love waterfalls, swimming hole and great views from way up high.

We really enjoyed the trail! Well worth the hike and wading the creeks. Dry weather made a easier trail than it would been if we had rain. Some creek crossings were dried up but you still get wet.

So beautiful.. multiple river crossings like other people said the first climb in and the back out is the toughest but the rest is moderate. I wore lightweight quick drying sneakers and felt they were a great choice with the river crossings. The view is really worth this hike.

Remember no dogs! This is a challenging but rewarding hike. Be prepared to get your feet wet, but also to have your breath taken away by the amazing rock windows!

Really enjoyed this hike

Pretty awesome hike! I could see why this could be rated as a hard hike, since you have to walk across 4-6 streams and then some elevation gain. However if it hasn't been raining to much I would rank this a moderate trail, the water line never made it to my knees. They have wire rope that you can use to help cross streams, water was pretty cold but felt great since it was a warm day. I had mesh tennis shoes on and that worked out perfect. When you get to a sign that says "overlook," take a look at the cliffs above that is where the trail ends. When you make it to the top of the cliffs, it's a beautiful 360 degree view of tree lines. I'm sure it would be beautiful in the later part of fall with all the trees changing colors.
Also, I highly recommend to do Burgess Falls Trail after this trail it was about a 10 minute drive from trail head to trail head. Only a 1 mile hike but the waterfalls left me speechless! I started at 11am and finished both hikes by 4pm...it was worth the drive from Nashville.

Wonderful trail. Not too difficult but make sure to use the cable crossings. Creek rocks can be very slick and depending on when you go the creek may be high. CC 3 and 4 were dry while I was here. Beautiful overlook at the end, though it may be more picturesque in the winter. Overall great experience. Make sure to get here early, as this trail tends to fill up quick.

Beautiful trail

A little over 5 miles in and out makes for an uncommonly pleasant walk in the woods. There are essentially three sections: The drop into/ climb out of the creek bottom made up of four switchbacks down an otherwise very steep slope; the sunny glade walk through the brushy bottom lined this time of years with goldenrod, coneflowers, and other yellow flora I can't identify; and the deeply shaded forest trail you pick up after creek crossing 5. The last of these eventually makes a relatively short climb up to the cliffs themselves. TEVA or similar supportive sandals are the right footwear - plenty for the steeper sections and essential for the creek crossings. Bring plenty of water for hot days.

Nice trail!

Beautiful trail! Lots of changing scenery and a nice length. The trail was beautiful and not too easy, not too difficult.

Really great hike. Had everything that you would hope for. Save your energy for last hill out though.

It was a beautiful hike. There are several creek crossings, which made it a lot of fun. It has some very unique plants. I can't wait to go back.

Great trail. very well maintained. awesome feeling standing on a cliff with 200ft drops on either side. save your energy for the final 748 ft out of the gorge to the parking lot. creeks were refreshing on a 90°day.

Unique and lovely hike. The trail was relatively easy but for the exit up and out of the canyon/gulf which is moderately difficult. The trail up and out has nice switchback that limit the difficulty. Windows Cliffs is 2.75 miles in and 2.75 miles out. The river crossings were pleasant in August but mind the slickness of some of the rocks. A coated steel cable is provided to hold on each crossing. The limestone geology is beautiful and the cliffs are a wonder to see. A nice waterfall is proximal to the #9 river crossing. Try to follow the trail and do not take shortcuts as it will cause erosion and unsightly scarring of the land. It is a good principle to do the harder right thing than the easier wrong. Lets leave this place nicer than when we came.

the first leg was all downhill. please make sure you bring water shoes and extra socks. the trail goes through 9 different water crossings. there is a wire to help you get across. I would not recommend small children on this hike. The trail was beautiful!!!