White Rock Loop

moderate 187 reviews

White Rock Loop is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Johnson City, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a nice place to hike when you don't have a lot of time to get out of the city. The view is great, especially on a clear day. The hike isn't difficult, but if you take the White Rock trail, it is easy to get off the path. At a sign marking the direction of the access road, the trail seems to follow the stream, but this simply leads back to some small waterfalls. It is definitely worth a look if you have time, but the trail to White Rock actually goes uphill at the sign. If you stand with you back to the sign, the trail goes up the mountain over some tree roots, then curves back to the right. May/June is a popular time to visit this trail, as the rhodedendrons are in bloom. You can make the hike a loop if you take the Tip Top trail back to the parking area. Word of caution: This may not be the best place to hike alone, especially for females. Sometimes there are strange people hanging around the picnic area.

Great trail! I took my dog their today hardly anyone. She loved it had a good time. It’s her first hike actually.

Not even close to being in my favorites, but a good workout in the woods anyways. Try to avoid the trail after the leaves have fallen, as there are places that become a little treacherous footing. Lots of human imprints on the landscape and views, which add to my own particular dislike of the trail, but which is to be expected being in close proximity to a large town. Not well maintained with lots of blowdown and litter.

Uncrowded, slippery trail in parts due to wet leaves covering trail hiding rocks. Trail hard to pick up in spots due to the fallen leaves. Very nice views and look out spots. Moderate hike with some difficult climbs due to the slippery conditions

Trail wasnt too difficult to follow IMO, follow the white blazes and have the Alltrails map handy and you should do fine. Great hike to do if youre in the Johnson City area and dont want to drive too far. Eastern side of White Rock trail has some beautiful views, unfortunately there is some graffiti and beer cans on some of the easier to reach views, how people think this is ok is beyond me?? I went early morning on a friday and the had most of the trail to myself, only passed 4 other hikers, Im sure this isnt the norm but was a nice surprise. Trail can get very narrow with some steep drop-offs so I wouldnt recommend this hike for children.

Due to lack of rain the creek beds were mostly dry, the occasional trickle of water could be heard and seen. This was early October, trails were wide and rocky with slow climb in elevation. This time of year the trails in the woods get dark fairly early. Very quiet and saw only an occasional hiker.

Great little loop if you live in Johnson city and wanna do something close by

I have hiked this place several times over the years, however, today was the first time I've actually come across a black bear. It was rather large too which caught me by surprise. My girlfriend and I turned around, safe to say. They might be coming farther down the mountains cause of the lack of rain as of late. Just be on the look out. Bear was spotted near the service road, halfway up.

Some poison ivy patches halfway up the spur to tip top. Trail has recently been trimmed, helped it out a lot.

There was no waterfall.

It was more difficult than I expected, with some sections very steep and rocky. Would not recommend with children. Trail markings were okay until the end. We were trying to diligently stay on the white trail but were forced into a section of blue trail which was confusing. Ended up getting a bit turned around which added an extra mile to our day. Tried using Google maps to guide us also but was not always accurate. At one point there was a fork with three options (plus the trail behind us that we were following) and Google didn't show them all. If you're looking for something moderate with nice views I would recommend hitting cascades, top tip, and white rock and then turning around and going back the way you came. The rest of the loop after white rock was difficult, confusing, and had no views (although there was a creek towards the end but we were too exhausted to enjoy it).

This was a good hike however there are some spots it’s hard to navigate. We had to backtrack some and kind of guess where to go but when we eventually made it the view was amazing!

Some poison ivy near the tip top that is difficult to avoid.

Great hike, take your time and stop at the overlooks. Well worth the time. If you don't like cliffs and narrow trails along cliffs dont take this hike. We loved it. Some people complained about trail markers. This was one of the best marked trails we have been on. We hike every week and had no issues.

Was a fun and challenging trail with elevation at some points. Markings weren’t the clearest but the map on the app saved us more than once. Would do again.

Fun trail for hiking with the dogs

I think that the trail had a lot to offer. I think that the overview is truly amazing. Some parts of the trail had overgrown trees and the trail wasn’t clearly marked. I would definitely travel the trail again.

love the rocky, tooth, steep trail. however, PLEASE, PLEASE add trail markers. Lots of confusion when 2 or 3 trails intersect and NO signage. Had to back track more than once, takes some of the joy out of the hike.

good trail. nice view of the city.

Nice trail, good view of Johnson City. Trail is kinda hard to follow at times.