Volunteer Trail

Volunteer Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hermitage, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

old growth

From Mt Juliet, Tennessee, take Highway 171 south. This starts out as S Mt Juliet Rd and then becomes Hobson Pike just north of the Wilson-Nashville/Davidson county line. After you cross the county line, there are signs for the Volunteer Trail. Turn right onto Bakers Grove Lane and then left on Granny Wright Lane which dead ends at the trail head and parking lot. If you pass the park's main entrance on the left you have gone too far.

My favorite place around Nashville for trail running. The terrain varies from hilly and pretty technical along the Day Loop to relatively flat on the outer portions of the Volunteer Trail. Past the split at the bulletin board the VT can be hard to follow (especially once the leaves fall) since it is not well marked.
People have made comments about trash. A lot of it visible in lower trail elevations is from flooding which happens to varying degrees every year. The flood of 2010 which brought the lake up 10 feet above standard summer pool level. This washed flood debris far into the woods... I have seen navigation bouys 50+ yards inland. "Party Cove" along the trail is a popular weekend spot for boaters in the summer and it can get noisy. Early morning and weekdays are your best times if you want quiet.
Note: Parking at the trail head is very limited and will fill up on nice days, particularly on weekends

Loved the hike to the very end of the trail. The only thing we didn't like was the amount of trash and the bags of dog poop left behind from the owners walking their dogs. The views was beautiful to see.

Enjoyed the length and moderation of this hike and the scenery. It was very well marked and easy to navigate. Unfortunately, I second the earlier reviews in regards to trash. It was unbelievable how much trash there was! As a gal solo hiking this one, I felt very uneasy about how dumpy parts of the trail were. There was even an abandoned sleeping bag at one point (or at least I pray to god it was abandoned!). Not cool. Parts of the trail were very overgrown and neglected. I still enjoyed myself, but probably won't return unless it's with a volunteer group to clean up all that garbage.

Not much elevation and not a difficult trail but it is longer (if you do the whole day trail in addition to the Volunteer trail it ends up being around 13 miles). I'd echo earlier complaints about garbage; this hike could be much nicer but there's a lot of trash and people on the boats by the lake are often very loud so you might want to try to hike this on a weekday. There's no payoff; it just sorta ends at the campsites and then you walk back. The trail's pretty badly overgrown at parts especially near the end. If you're feeling tired you won't miss much by turning around early.

I really enjoyed this hike with varying elevation and footing. HOWEVER, dog owners PLEASE BEWARE - when I returned home with my dog, he was utterly infested with ticks. Over the span of 10 days I was able to find all of them, occasionally finding some crawling across my floor and the pin-sized ones between his toes. I ended up counting about 50 total that I picked off of him. Do not take your dog on this hike without flea/tick prevention and even an additional spray (like Adams flea and tick).

It was a nightmare, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the hike,

Nice, long trail. A little trashy here and there, but hey, we're in the city, where all sorts of garbage people live. So what do you want?

I hit the trailhead and headed straight for the camp. Not the most scenic hike, but I was in it for distance.

It's a little overgrown just short of mile 5 for a bit, but it's doable. Mostly plants encroaching on the path and hard to see path in places, nothing horrendous.

There's a spot where a backpack and a sleeping bag is. Kinda creepy. Can create your own story there. Mine played out perfectly with the scene.

Not much beyond that. I took the 2.6 back on the loop, and I think I did about 13 miles total. Phone died near the end of mapping the trail.

If it says anything, I went back the next day with my daughter.

The Volunteer Trail is littered in trash. If you hike this, please take a trash bag and help clean up the trash from boaters and a few inconsiderate campers. The campground appears to have been trashed by boaters as well: abandoned backpack, roller bag, inflatables, hammock, sleeping bags, bottles, steel cans, beer cans and plastic bins far to large to carry 5.5 miles. I carried out what I could. I'll notify the parks service about the camps.

A lot of trash- literally and figuratively. The beautiful lake views are tarnished by the sounds of loud and obnoxious humanity coming from the lake, and- to a lesser extent- the bottles and other trash that's been washed ashore. This will be a nice hike after the plague.