Virgin Falls Trail

Virgin Falls Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Hill, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

It had been a few years since I’d hiked this and I’d forgotten what an absolute treasure this hike is. The falls are gorgeous, the hike itself is tough but reasonable. Need to do an overnighter here soon.

Great trail! I recommend taking the split to the right and going to Sheeps cave first. I also recommend resting at virgin falls for a few minutes before you head back. The return trip back is tough, uphill for about 2 miles. My runkeeper app said I hiked 8.05 miles. Trip took me 3 hours and 25 minutes. My new favorite trail.

I had forgotten how technical this trail could be! We hiked to the Virgin Falls campsite over the weekend and had it all to ourselves. Taking the short spur trail to the top of the falls made for easy water gathering (don't even think about trying at the bottom). The scenery at the camp this time of year is my favorite - all the leaves on the ground, no underbrush, dramatic terrain - and the waterfall will lull you to sleep. We didn't get to see Sheep Cave because my partner sprained his ankle at the start of the second day - ouch! Pay attention to leaf litter on the trail because it covers a lot of rocks and roots that can trip you. This is a great hike and great camping experience.

We hiked on Sunday Dec 1st. Great way to get the month started. It had rained the day before, so we knew the water feature would be flowing good! Some small water pooling at the start of the trail, but not too bad. The hike has the most intense elevation change at the 1.5 mi mark. Taking you down to Laurel Creek, where the cable crossing is located. We had dogs and it was rather intense to cross the creek with them. The rest of the hike is nice with a gradual decent to the Falls. You do get rewarded with a water feature every .75 mi after the cable crossing which makes it that much more enjoyable. Took us about 5 1/2 hrs with a 15 min break at Laurel Falls and a 45 min at Virgin Falls.

Epic. Just went today and there was only two people out there. It is very well marked, no worries there. It’s gorgeous, so much water and like 4 waterfalls on the trail, Virgin Falls is amazing. One of the most stunning waterfalls I’ve ever seen. I’ve hiked nearly 10,000 miles and this was a kick ass hike. I would definitely do it again, a place so sweet you could propose to your girlfriend here! Watch your footing, roots hidden under leaves this time of year. Nature heals all.

Well marked, a little damp as is rained the day before but water was flowing great. A moderate hike at most. Great trail.

Great trail. I did just a small overnighter at MPP. Highly recommend doing this over any weekend. Bring warm, dry clothes.

Great trail! I would say it is rather difficult or strenuous than “moderate”.

Mostly downhill to make camp down by the river. Great views. River is flowing well.

Such a good hike. Beautiful views along the way. Definitely strenuous but well worth it!

Great hike. Moderate is the correct designation. Well marked trail. Decent amount of foot traffic. Good camp sites. Best after a rain. Cave was fun. Waterfall was cool. Down hill out to the waterfall which means it uphill all the way back. Second half of the trip is a lot tougher than the first. Worth it. Will return.

One of my favorite trails! Waterfalls, caves, river, rock formations, overlooks, and lots of wildlife. What else could you want from a hiking trail!

Take always: first half is pretty easy going. Second half gets rough with rocks and roots, ups and downs. Hiked on 10/9 with a lot of green and not as much fall colors. Trail is easy to follow with signs throughout. Virgin falls was super neat though! Crazy how far down the water goes, couldn’t even see the bottom of it. we really didn’t see much water until we got to the falls. We went straight to and from the falls, so for us It was a hike that pretty much kept us inside the forest, so there weren’t really any lookouts out in the open.

Did this one yesterday with a friend and it was an amazing hike!! It was quite strenuous on the return trip! It was another hot day, so I would definitely wait and do this one when it’s cooler. Lack of rain in the area has caused the smaller falls to be dry, but this drought also made it possible to hike all the way down under the falls! (It is typically a pool filled with water!) It was spectacular!!! Just be careful because that part is VERY slippery! Definitely go see Sheep’s Cave (closed right now) but fun to explore the area and cool off with the very noticeable and welcomed temp change!! Also, take a short drive to the right of the main parking area down the gravel road to see the overlook at Welch’s Point, stunning views!!!

We hiked this trail today. This trail was a great trail; however it is definitely not moderate by any means. It was by far one of the most strenuous trails I have hiked so far. We hiked the trail to virgin falls along with the loop to Sheep’s cave and back. (9.12 miles by our gps). The falls at Big Laurel was at a trickle. But The falls at Virgin falls and Sheep’s cave was flowing much better. If you go I suggest turning right at the junction and seeing sheep’s cave before virgin falls as the trek out would be better than if you did it the other directions. Also do not, I repeat DO NOT bring young children on this trail! It is too dangerous. I was surprised when the previous hiker said he had his three year old on this trail. After traveling it, I will say it is too dangerous for kids and for pets. As others have said the trek out is tough. Pretty much straight out. The views on the trail are great. But you have to watch your step the whole way. I did see a cute chipmunk within hands reach. Thankfully no snakes. If you are in shape and up for a challenge you will love this trail. The falls at the end were beautiful and I bet are even more spectacular when they are flowing full force.

Nice trial. We camped at site number 3. We didn’t make it to the big waterfall because we have smaller kids. Not a lot of water since it’s dry but the kids had a blast. We did hike to Martha’s point. Be careful on the ladder coming backdown. Our 3 year old fell and scared the crap out of me. I want to go back when it’s rained and cooler.

One of my favorite trails. The overlook is not to be missed!

Nice long hike. First mile or so is mostly flat with many ferns. Most of second mile is strewn with gigantic boulders that amaze, and trail turns more strenuous up-and-down scrambling over rocks and roots, etc. Laurel Falls' massive dome is really cool, and the small falls was a nice cool break. Most of creekbed was dry the entire path. Sheep Cave was fun. You need to bring headlamps, it goes way back! We had lunch at the naturally air conditioned cave on top of Virgin Falls... really great spot. The falls are beautiful of course. They're really tall, then drop into this pit that looks as though it has no bottom. I've seen videos of this falls when it's much greener, with much more water. But we still really enjoyed our day/trip/hike. The 8.5 miles is no joke, but it's doable and makes you feel like you spent the day well. Most all of the trail is shaded. Easy to get to. Decent size parking lot at trailhead, with 2 toilets.

Hiked this trail today. The hike back was definitely more strenuous. Beautiful waterfall, well maintained and marked trail. Took exactly 4 hours to complete

Beautiful view of the falls. Awesome cave. The last two miles in the return trip are the hardest due to inclines and terrain. Highly recommend this one!

I hiked this trail over the weekend for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was rocky at places but not as bad as fiery gizzard. Virgin falls is the most beautiful part of the trail and it felt noticeable cooler there. It takes 4.3 miles to get to the falls but the first 1.5 miles is pretty mild. It gets more difficult and the surrounds more beautiful after the 1.5 mark. I actually felt the hike back wasn't as bad as the hike to the falls but it depends on your body. Going down is harder on the knees. Great hike, took me 5 and a half hours but I lingered at the falls and took lots of breaks along the way.

Great trail!! Very Rocky. Falls an overlook were awesome