Twin Creeks Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 790 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There is a small pull-off at the Twin Creeks trail head. It may be a better idea to leave your car Mynatt Park just before the entrance to Cherokee Orchard Road. As this is a point-to-point hike, make sure you have made arrangements to get back to your car from Old Sugarlands Trail.

Trail is not as easy as we thought it would be with all the slippery rocks with creek crossings. We didn’t see a single person on this trail and it is obvious it is less traveled. Lots of knots, stumps and roots can be hazardous in low light conditions. We had a snake encounter around 1.2 miles into the trail. Small and fast. I didn’t see it but my wife saw it cross right in front of me. Once you get to the nature trail loop there are several cool buildings, the Ogle House and an old shed next to the creek with a flume.

Fire damage everywhere.

closed

We parked our car in the small pull off opposite the trailhead. Hiked straight up the trail and in about one mile there was a No Trespassing sign put up by the US Government. They have some type of very tall metal tower, maybe a satellite or fire monitoring tower, I'm not sure. But the trail was definitely off limits so we had to turn around and walk back to the car. Very disappointing hike. After reading other reviews for this trail I feel we were on a different trail than everyone else, but we followed the alltrails app map so, really not sure.

This was my first actual hiking experience and it was a great trail for an absolute beginner. There was an inch or so if snow on the ground and more falling which made the experience even better. The biggest downside was there had been significant rainfall a couple of days before which made one of the stream crossings impassable considering the cold weather. If it had been warmer it probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal. We had started at the Ogle farm, did the nature loop there and then started the descent toward the trail head. Once we reached the impassable stream we turned around and went back to our vehicle. From there we drove down to Myatt park and started from the other side eventually making it back to the point where we orginally turned around. There are a fair number of trees down across the trail. The fire damage is still very evident which made for a somber, yet awe inspiring hike at times considering mother nature's sheer power to destroy and rebuild. The ascent, while gradual, did zap my legs considering I've never hiked before. All in all we did a little over 6 miles with a total elevation change of around 900 feet. We never did find the House of Fairies as nightfall was approaching. We'll head back for that another time.

Easy in and out trail from Mynet Park to Noah Ogles cabin.

I would rate this as an “easy to moderate” trail given the large number of downed trees and unsteady footing. Trail is poorly marked in some areas but ultimately relatively easy to find. Didn’t make it through the entire trail due to the stream being high (there is a portion where you have to cross), but hoping to hit it from the other side. Passed an interesting ecology center and lots of CCC remnants along the way.

bridge out

Interesting pioneer area

Great trail really easy for all! We hike off trail some along the creek, also found a mill, the best part was the bear in the creek crossing got great pictures. Our goal was to find the fairy house, which took some doing. It is not on this trail it is behind the fenced in area by the park ranger stuff before you get to the Ogle place. It is overgrown and very muddy, wear good shoes and long pants for this portion.

Decent little trail. Overgrown at points. Keep an eye out, saw a snake on the trail a ahead of me.

If you like great views and to really get into nature this trail is pretty awful. Very narrow mud trial with lots of poison ivy. It follow along a busy road for most of it's length so you see and hear cars mostly. Has a couple creek crossings and the creeks are nice. But overall disappointing.

Thu Feb 21 2019

Was not a bad trail but there are definitely nicer ones to walk. Lots of trees down and is a bit of a sad walk because of the forest fires.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Gentle upward climb. We continued on to the Bud Ogle cabin, but did not complete the loop. This area had been burned in the fires and with the recent high winds, several trees covered the path. For the most part, the creek crossings are very easy (two have bridges), but at one point, we had to cross on a log that was about three feet above the water. We accidentally followed the wider path to an off-limits science observation area. We had to retrace our steps and find the smaller path to the cabin. Most of the trail was shaded, even in February. The creeks provide a pleasant background noise throughout the trek.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Read below review by Tracy Rice, as of today, very accurate. Lots of blow downs across the trail with branches which added a lot of time to the trail. We completed with kids ages ~4-12, but I stood in the creek (after slipping myself ) to help them across the creek as they walked on a fallen log. Water is down from a month ago, but still came over the tops of my boots. A groups behind us turned around when they got to that crossing because they did not want to risk getting wet. Nice walk In the woods though.

Mon Dec 17 2018

We were there today. The trail has a very easy incline bit unfortunately there were many fallen trees across the trail that made it difficult to maneuver. A lot of widow makers, full tree tops and elevated falls. We pushed through to mile 1.5 to the first ford and due to so much rainfall and the fact that there was a log laying on the downstream side, creating a pool, we could not cross without getting soaked. We spent 45 minutes going up and down the creek looking for a suitable crossing but have up on it. Hopefully when the water recedes and the trail is cleared it will be doable. At this time I would not recommend children on thos short trail.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Hello twins:)

Tue Oct 09 2018

A good hike with kids. We saw turkeys along the path and there are a few small river crossings.

Thu Sep 20 2018

Loved the hike but the bugs were so bad we had to turn back after about .5 mile.

Sun Jul 29 2018

This is just an ok trail. It isn’t exceptionally beautiful or exciting. It was our first hike on our vacation. It is a gradual ascent and I was packing out my 3.5 year old on my back, not because she couldn’t have walked, but the trail was really narrow and I couldn’t hold her hand. And so with a 35lb kid on my back, it was challenging enough for me for a quick hike. ;) We also had a 5 and 7 year old and it was just right for them. So while it wasn’t MY ideal hike, it was good for younger kids.

Fri May 11 2018

Easy hike. Narrow footpath with poison ivy lining the trail. Bear sited yesterday, 5/9, about half a mile from the trailhead but we gave it space and waited for it to leave the area before moving on and Several trees along the way that had been burned in the fire.