Turtletown Falls Trail

Turtletown Falls Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Farner, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful hike! Love that you can hear the river throughout the first part of the hike.. beautiful falls. I used the address below to get there (1234 farmer road) and did t have any issues.. you’ll want to pull on the dirt road and follow that until the end.
*** Be careful driving on the dirt road, I saw a dead dog on the side of the road, not sure if it was hit by a car or attacked by some stray dogs I saw near the body.. definitely a somber start to a beautiful hike.

UPDATED DIRECTIONS (5/13/18) I read previous reviews and plugged 1234 Farner Rd into my GPS. It would have taken me there but when I was about 0.6 miles away I could not go any further because the road was completely closed due to construction. Luckily, a resident watched me as I got out of my car looking very confused/frustrated and walked down his driveway and asked if I needed help. He gave me great directions to get to the falls from the other side. So, if you are on TN-68 S follow these instructions instead:
When you get close you will go over a set of rail road tracks on TN-68 S
Very shortly after crossing these tracks you will take a LEFT on Mountain Vista Rd
Stay on this until you come to a T in the road+Stop Sign
Here you will take a LEFT on Underwood Dr
You will then cross over a second set of railroad tracks
Very shortly after crossing these tracks you will take a LEFT on Duggan Rd
Then you will take a LEFT on Old Farner Rd
On your right hand side you will see a sign for Turtletown Falls and the dirt road will come up shortly after the sign, take that the rest of the way! It was such a wonderful hike and I’m so glad I was able to find it despite the construction—SO worth it! My Honda Civic made it across the creek but I noticed a car parked just before the creek on my way out, and that would’ve been a suitable option too (for those of us with small cars), as it’s not far from the trail head. As others have said, I highly recommend going left to see the “twin” waterfalls first and then going right to see the other big waterfall series. When I was coming back from the second waterfall I veered slightly to the left instead of going right and took the path along the ridge back—doing a loop instead of an out and back. It was uphill (more so than not) but clearly labeled and easy to follow.

Great scenic trail! Definitely a must see! It is a loop and one tip that I can give is when you pass the first waterfall you will find the split. If you keep right you’ll be continuing the main trail and if you go left you will see the second waterfall. I’m so glad we went left because we would have missed the second gorgeous falls. The trail is not very long but it is pretty steep on the way back from the second falls. Hope you enjoy the trail as much as we did.
P.S.: Please, read previous comments on correct directions as the map in this app takes you to some private property.

This is a very rewarding hike with plenty of blooming wild flowers this time of year. The previous reviews were very helpful. To add to what was already said, the 1234 Farner Rd address is accurate and led me directly to the dirt road which leads to the parking lot. There are no additional signs to the trailhead but keep going, the road will dead end at the parking lot. There is a small creek you have to cross with your vehicle just before arriving. I was in a Honda civic and this was no problem for me. The trail which leads to the falls does not have a sign but it is marked by white blazes just beyond the entrance. The loop begins at a fork with a small brown hiker's sign marking the trail on the left which goes to both waterfalls. The trail on the right is unmarked but is apart of the loop which I took on my return trip. The falls are running strong. I saw what I believe was coyote poop on 2 occasions. But no other wild life. I saw very few people and my chihuahua and I enjoyed this peaceful hike. Go check it out!

Really nice trail. Big surprise was there are two really neat falls to see. The first falls appear to be twins. Once you see this falls continue on the trail to the second one which is really gorgeous. For your return to the trail head you can go back the way you came along the creek. We choose to make the loop so we took the high trail which is
very easy to walk. It is up hill for a ways but
It levels off and your walking the ridge line. You really don't get a good look at the Hawassee river but the gorge is quite interesting. From the hard top road it's several miles on a good dirt road. Go hike this trail it's really a pleasant experience .

Another beautiful walk. A wild turkey flew over us just as we were starting out around 4pm. I’m glad other reviews said to go to 1234 Farmer Rd to find the USF rd because where the App directions took us looked like it could have been a scene from Deliverance.

Perfect place for a day hike with the family. Other than a few steep climbs, not a bad trek at all— plus the AMAZING views will keep you pretty distracted, and triggers a strong sense of motivation to explore more! We went in mid March 2018 while it was a bit chilly + snowy and had a blast!

Trail head parking can be sketchy after a rain. Easy trail to follow. Make sure you do the entire loop and visit both falls.

Great falls!

great trail with 2 nice but not high falls. could use better signs, but we manage to figure out where the loop went afyer reaching far falls, to return after hiking the wide and easy outbound path. but found the more traditional narrow trail splitting from main path on the right after hiking back up, away from the falls.

Great length hike for me with a great waterfall.

Turtle town is a great day hike spot. We loved the falls, the trail was easy to follow and a good place to take people just getting into hiking.

We went yesterday. Unfortunately, there was no cell service and I failed to go to the end of the road where the trail started. Instead, pulled off and took an old logging road which eventually brought us to the trail but only added a mile or so to our hike. As we hiked, I noticed a burnt log and a second later, thought it was a bear cub until it turned and saw it was a very huge wild boar! Fortunately, he ran down the mountain and not at us!

When we got to the loop, we opted to make our way out, but the river and falls were stunning and we will do the full loop soon.

Did the full loop, saving the falls for last. The twin falls were breathtaking! With the various rapids and smaller falls, I lost count of how many falls were on the trail.

This is a great place!

1.14.18 - Farner Road was closed due to bridge construction. Found an easy reroute and made it perfectly. The FSR was in great shape going to the trailhead, a few small bumps, but it's a dirt/gravel road, no problems at all. Creek crossing was easy, no problems there. I was driving a two-wheel drive truck (toyota tacoma). The trailhead parking area does have a large spot in the middle that with a bit of rain, could become a massive mud hole. Fortunately on the day I went the ground was frozen and it wasn't an issue. Keep in mind for warmer wetter days. When I got to the fork in the trail, I went right, I wanted to do the loop and have lunch at the falls on my way. Worked out perfect. I'm not real sure why other reviews say it's hard to navigate. If you look for and follow the blazes you'll find it perfectly. Not that confusing at all. I found the two grave sites at the top. Just keep following the trail (you will not have blazes along this route). You'll get there (you can also see the way I went in my recorded map). I included pictures with all this info in "photos"
The falls were majestic! Absolutely stunning. There is a great little camping spot located near the lower falls. Had a nice hot lunch at the upper falls on a beautiful sunny freezing day. Lots of coyote poop along the way. PLEASE follow the 1234 Farner Road address in your GPS, it will take you right in front of FSR 1166, literally across the street from this address. One other thing, most reviews say the house at 1234 Farner Road is white, it's actually a very light blue grey color, so don't let that confuse you. I rate this trail a 5 because my trip was amazing. Only hiccup the whole day was the bridge being out, like I said, easily rerouted. You can not go wrong with this trail.
Enjoy! Happy Hiking!!!

Made it back today,hiked the whole loop and saw both falls! One of my favorite places to hike! It is definitely worth the drive!

At 20 degrees it was a Frozen Wonderland,I would be happy to hike this trail anytime of the year!!

Surprising gem tucked away in the Tennessee mountains. This hike is not difficult however you are rewarded with a large beautiful waterfall roughly 30 minutes into the hike. I’ll come back to complete the full circuit!

Love this trail! So much fun to stop and put your feet in the water half way through at the gorgeous water fall...

Beautiful!
Don’t get discouraged by the gravel road drive, and do hike all the way. The falls are gorgeous!

Great hike. All the uphill bits were pretty short and even out for a bit before the next uphill. We did the loop and saw both Falls. We stayed to the right at the fork, so did the loop counterclockwise. Was a little tricky finding the right way to go after the first falls, as you have to backtrack a short ways and then cut off to the right, but we figured it out. Shaded, and trail goes along the creek a good part of the hike. It was really lovely. The road was out about a mile before the turn off getting there so we had to turn around, ho back out to 68 and turn on Mountain Vista Road and work our way in from there. Don’t turn on Newman, as other reviewers have said.

My daughter and I hiked this trail a few days ago. We loved it! Fairly easy hike. We but a short video together of the hike. The end is really good!

Beautiful falls at the end of the trail, which is not a bad hike. pictures don't do it justice! shallow pool for wading/swimming. before Newman Road, look for signs to Turtle Town Falls, and turn on the gravel path. highly recommend.

I really loved this trail.
Shout out to the crews who take care of the blown down tree on the trail. Thank you for all you do so the we can enjoy the trails.

The waterfalls on this trail were truly gorgeous. I echo everyone's reviews on it being hard to find and encourage you to screen shot some of the more logistics-minded reviews to help you get where you want to be. There was a storm not long ago so the trail was a little rough with some fallen trees, but nothing we couldn't manage. Like some others, we couldn't locate the loop connecting trail, but it was still a perfect, secluded hike.

Well worth the drive! We met 1 group of people on this hike. Got in our cardio on this well marked trail. The falls was just stunning! The directions on this took us to someone's house. There is only 1 sign for this and if you turn left on Newnan you have gone too far! Be looking for the brown sign on Farner.

Great easy trail to some beautiful double falls. Not very deep but a blast to romp around in with the dogs.

This is a great hike. We went on Sunday afternoon and only came across a handful of others hiking.
Be prepared to stop along the way to admire the views and play in the waterfalls. We took to the right at the first split- thank you for that advice. Returning from the lower falls at the split (left) for the loop there is a huge pine tree down right on the trail. Took us a bit of back and forth before we just cut across the woods to find the trail. The blaze is not well marked at this split.
We will definitely do this one again.
Be warned gps says to turn on Newman Rd then turn again on Newman B- that is not correct. Go pass Newman about 100 yards down you will see the brown sign to turn onto the forestry service road.

Beautiful falls. We went on a Saturday and saw 7 other people on the trail. It was worth the drive from the Knoxville area.

Great trail! Trail is pretty narrow, not ideal for poorly trained dogs. Trailhead is a bit difficult to find, keep your eyes peeled for signs.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Make sure to turn right if you do the loop... the sign makes it seem like you can go left or right ... go right !!!! After the trail you have done with the falls ... that's the loop trail .... if you keep going straight they is a grave if u see this grave turn around !!!! I kept going and it took nowhere !!!