Timberland Park Nature Trail

Timberland Park Nature Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fairview, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 147 feet Route Type: Loop

Inman Hollow Trail -> Dry Creek Trail -> Ravine Ridge West Loop

This trail is great. It’s not over crowded. There is a great nature center with information and a friendly staff. There are lots of trails that connect to each other. Just know that there is part of the trail that leads on to a mature reserve with more trails. Those trails are great, but the nature reserve part does not allow pets.

Beautiful trail, even in winter. Excellent markings-no way you'll get lost. Very quiet with little foot traffic- a hidden jewel! Varied topography and options to hike a mile or about 3.Lovely small waterfall with bench to sit and enjoy. Watch for the Big South Fork Trail midway and add another mile. Challenging enough, but not strenuous. Probably not for toddlers unless they can fit in a backpack, and not for mobility impaired.Nice visitors' center with bathrooms and picnic area. Highly recommend for a 1-2 hour hike. Cute town of Leiper's Fork is worth the 15 minute drive to get melt in your mouth comfort food at Puckett's.

I'll give it 5 stars. Why? Because it's so peaceful. Now those who say it's not strenuous are not 63 years old, Are not 40 pounds overweight, either. Yes, there are a few hills that I found really strenuous. I have not hiked in 10 or 15 years, that's one reason it is so strenuous. But, in the fall of the year like it is now, this is absolutely in credible. I highly recommend that you fuel up by getting some biscuits and gravy at the loveless cafe before you come here. The guys at the visitor center are incredibly friendly and one of the guys looks and awfully lot like Santa Claus. The trails might be easily marked, but as I sit on this delightful little bench, I'm lost. I have been following the signs to the dry keep Creek trail and ravine ridge West loop and another sign that said back to the visitor center, but I'm lost. I've been lost for about 45 minutes. I've taken a few trails by following the signs only to find out that 30 minutes later I'm back at the same sign. I'm not worried, not at all. Getting lost is something I enjoy doing. So, I'm pretty happy right now.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

We had a great time. We were able to run or jog most of it. Lots of options for different trails as well.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Monday, December 11, 2017

This park has 9 short trails, all of which are under 1 mile. The total mileage for the park is 3 to 3.5 miles. It's not a big park, but it is delightful in many ways. For starters, it is in the town of Leipers Fork, a trendy, artsy town known to attract people in the music biz. Enjoy its restaurants and shops. Puckett's Grocery is a great place to eat, as is the Loveless Café. Check them out after you hike. The trails at Timberland are close to other trails on the Natchez Trace, namely the Old Trace and Garrison Creek Loop trails. You can easily do both in the same day. Warning: GPS's are not the most dependable in this area. But even if you drive around in circles, it is scenic. No commercial businesses on the Natchez Trace..no McDonalds, nail salons, etc. It is a pretty drive. The park has great parking and a visitors center. Folks in the center are happy to chat. I could just hang out there, quite honestly. There is a nice fireplace, bathrooms, maps and brochures, and free walking sticks to borrow. The trails are short and a person can configure various hikes. Make your hike long or short. There is variety to the trails. They go down to a dry creek bed and then up to a ridge- many times. You can get a bit of a workout, but it isn't strenuous, because the trails are short. I still recommend a stick or trekking poles. The trails are super-well marked with color-coded metal blazes that correspond to the map. You won't get lost here. The trails are quiet without much traffic. My friend and I only passed 2 couples and 1 single. There are benches along the way. These trails offer a good introduction to hiking. They are also good for Nashvillians like me who just want to get outside for a few hours. Bottom line: Beautiful natural area. Easy hike for those who are used to hiking, but there is enough ascent/descent that it could be difficult for folks who don't walk much. You will come upon trails that are on private property: Big East Fork Reserve. I have hiked on these trails too, but being on private property, they weren't well-marked the last time I hiked them, so I stuck with the trails in Timberland. I will be back and plan to make this a place where I hike regularly. No crowds. Just peaceful and pretty.

Thursday, August 30, 2018