Thunderhead Prong Quiet Walkway

Thunderhead Prong Quiet Walkway is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking.

My review is from the perspective of an amateaur landscape photographer.

The trail is easy to follow even though it is unmarked. Very little tree roots, rocks, or mud on the trail. The trail was very easy with one major exception. 0.2 miles from the end of the trail, a bridge over a small ravine/creek has washed out and has not been repaired as of Feb 2018. This means you need to negotiate a 6ft rock wall down, then back up on the other side. If you are not confident regarding your rock scrambling technique I suggest you find another trail and skip this one.

The cascade at the end of the trail is very pretty and more photographic than I anticipated. There are no falls as such, but rather a series of small water chutes over and around the rocks. If this doesn't interest you then there's really no reason to hike this trail and I would look for something else.

I have posted the pictures I took at the end of the trail. You can decide for yourself if that type of scenery interests you. Access to the creek is fairly easy but does entail the usual rock and fallen tree scramble.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Great for kids. We didn't make it all the way due to the age of our kids but a couple good bridges. A nice area near the skinny bridge where we went near the river and climbed on rocks.

Friday, August 05, 2016

It was nice hiking along the rushing water. There is a bridge at the beginning of the trail near the parking area. Then you will see a sign "Middle Prong Trail" and should go to the right of the sign.

Thursday, June 15, 2017