Suck Creek Road to Mushroom Rock

Suck Creek Road to Mushroom Rock is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We loved this Tennessee River Gorge Segment of the Cumberland! Was an amazing hike with Kenny ❤️

Great hike, have hiked this trail several times this year. Took my fly rod one trip and caught several small shell cracker at North Suck creek camp site.

We loved this trail! The only bad part was actually getting to the trailhead of Suck Creek Rd. The cars and curves had me nervous, since we had our kids. But we made it to and from safely. Lots of window glass on the shoulder from cars being broken into also had me a little on edge. Once making the steep trek up the mountain, it was smooth hiking! Beautiful scenery, nice cool breeze. The swinging bridge and river were my favorite! I'm hesitant to post to not attract a ton of people (Come on, none of us nature people just love heavily populated getaway spots lol) but I believe I've found one of my favorite places on this side of the earth.

sorry for the double review but you need to know Do Not Leave Valuables in your car!!! Our was broken into and the sheriff said it was the 4th one that day in that area! Leave a window down if possible, they broke mine out

Great trail! major workout on the last mile, the grade goes straight up it feels like. Awesome camping spot right on the creek after the suspension bridge. Recent storms have knocked down a couple of trees, just go over them, the rest of the trail is clear

Wish we could have gone on the trail-large tree out at first thirty feet.

Was a great day and nice trail

I took my 8 year old on this. It was easy dried out. Good views and breezes helped on the journey.

This in NO WAY was an easy hike! Please be prepared for sweat and toil to the top as the road to Mushroom Rock is seriously washed out. Great spring hike for a "moderate to difficult" day trek.

Not an "easy" trail, more like a moderate. Not good for dogs.

As some others have said finding this trail is the hardest part. If you are heading up Suck Creek road the trail is going to start on your right. Heading up Suck Creek road near the top, before you reach the Walden Ridge community sign, you'll just barely spot a set of stairs leading to a trailhead on the left side of the road. There are typically a few cars parked in the location so that's your best marker. The trail to mushroom rock has nothing to do with the stairs, just a good place marker to find where you need to be. The only thing marking the location you want is a hard to spot "trail crossing" sign on the Creek side just before the stairs when driving up. Hop over the guard rail and you'll see the start to your journey.

The trail itself comes quickly down to a bridge from the road then up an incline followed by a nice leisurely flat stretch. After a mile or so you'll start heading down the back side of the ridge you just climbed, down to a long suspension bridge over North Suck Creek. On the other side of the bridge you can either chose the more strenuous red blaze course directly In front of you, or follow the white blazes to the right that pass through the little camping area. Either way you chose this is the hardest part of the trail. It has a decent elevation gain. A short hike later (30 minutes?) you'll be greeted by Mushroom Rock.

If you do a google search for mushroom rock Chattanooga you'll likely see lots of 1900's era pictures of tourist and locals alike perched all about and on the rock formation. Most the time fully suited in their Sunday best. Anyhow... it's a nice little piece of Chattanooga culture.

Enjoy YOUR hike!