Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Stinging Fork Falls Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(210)
Spring City, Tennessee

Stinging Fork Falls Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spring City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 344 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. This pretty trail is short, fast and steep down to the creek. It is beautiful down at the bottom by the falls. The rock-strewn path becomes heavily shaded by the forest. The more you descend during this short hike, green moss starts taking up residence over the small boulder fields that become the path. Closer to the creek, you'll catch a glimpse of one of the smaller falls and, around spring, you may also see lots of mountain laurels in bloom. At the base of the creek is Stinging Falls, one of the many lovely spots for waterfalls in Tennessee. The cove is quiet and very serene. The water from the falls tumbled into a swimming hole that was equal parts clear, blue and green.

Very nice falls

5/17/20 Trail is open. Really beautiful trail and falls.

I went there the other day and it was one of the prettiest falls I’ve seen water was a bit cold but super clear and blue. Also was some left over trash that we picked up. Overall the only thing that was unpleasant was the climb back it isn’t impossible but I stopped a few times to catch my breath

closed

Drove out there today and the trail is closed due to COVID-19

The first 3/4 of the trail is fairly boring. Then you head down a rocky hill to the creek. Quite a few trees down too you can climb across. Also multiple stairs are broken on the way down so be careful! A good work out climbing up. It would have been handy to have my hiking stick.

trail was a little bland at first, then it drops quickly after the junction. gave my rating based on the overall hike, but the falls are a 5/5.

Great trail!!

The falls and cascades were beautiful yesterday. This is a lovely little hike. Watch out for a couple of fallen trees that you will need to scramble over and some loose and rotting wooden steps on the way up and down the gulch.

We enjoyed this one, but it was a little over 2mi round trip. That may be because there were two trails at the bottom. The steps were not in good shape, so be careful. Once we reached the water, we took the trail to the left marked with yellow blazes. Beautiful falls!

Great hike down to the bottom. A couple a trees to navigate around that fell. Definitely worth the trip.

If you follow the AllTrails map I do not recommend taking the trail to the left. It’s an overlook to nothing even in the winter with all the leaves down. You can hear the falls but the only payoff is the beautiful moss growing everywhere. However, stick to the right and you will take some rocks and sketchy stairs (3 sets) down to the bottom. Once at the bottom stay left and you’ll find an absolutely stunning waterfall. After all this rain Stinging Fork Falls was roaring and the water was so blue pictures don’t even do it justice. Very colorful hike with all the green moss and blue water. Highly recommend going after a lot of rain.

Great trail and even better falls! The falls were marvelous. The color was breathtaking. The trail was slippery, but it had rained. I would rate it more than moderate and not too kid friendly as it was a little tough with scrambling closer to the falls. Definitely a good work out, but it was so worth it!

Beautiful waterfall with blue/green plunge pool. Recent rains made for a very slippery hike - mud, wet leaves, rocks, wooden stairs. Use caution on the stairs, as some steps are in need of repair. Lots of water in the river & falls! I also hiked to the overlook (yellow trail), though the view wasn't especially great. There are a few fallen trees covering the trail. Though crossing the river at base of falls wasn't possible this visit, close access to the side of the falls is easy. Wear good shoes and hike deliberately.

A quick out and back. There are stone and wood steps along the way in and out of the river bed, careful as several wood steps are broken and some stones loose. I went with my 12 pound dog who did fine on this trail. It was nearly dark so we didn't take the time to see if you can easily access the base of the falls but still a pretty view from above.

The falls here are beautiful. The color of the water below the falls reminds me of the Caribbean ocean, even on a dreary fall day. It was rated kid friendly so we took our 5 year old grandson on it. As someone else mentioned, a few places are a bit sketchy and narrow on the side of the cliff for younger kids so watching them carefully is a must. We had to hold his hand in some places. Also be watch carefully going back up the trail when leaves are covering the ground, we missed the point to go up and followed the white blazes which took us further down and didn’t realize it until we started seeing things we hadn’t passed before since we were preoccupied with the 5 year old. We had to back track quite a ways. It would be nice if the trail had a sign point the way back up to the trail head (hence the 4 stars). Other than that, beautiful hike! Much to see and explore on the way to the falls.

I like this trail. Even if it's less than 2 miles, you get a good workout climbing back up the mountain after enjoying the beauty of the river and the falls. I especially like the smaller cascading falls.

Good trail, but definitely a moderate+ rating going right and all the way down to the falls. fairly steep with a lot of switchbacks and uneven rocks. the falls are spectacular with the recent rain. the left branch to the overlook was rather uninspiring, but helped to get the step count up! alltrails distance is off as it only gets you down to the river and not the falls on the right branch.

Did not get far along the trail before meeting a family that let us know there wasn’t any water coming off the falls. So we decided to leave and return another time after a good rain. Not much fall leaf color yet. This was as of 10/11/19.

it was a quick hike but literally no water

Well marked, shaded, cold water. Peaceful.

Apparently they are working on making more trails off of this one so be careful not to take a wrong turn. Follow the trail straight for awhile. You will start seeing white markers and can follow them. Once you go down all the switchbacks you will run into yellow markers on your left. That is the way you want to go to the falls. Not sure where the white markers going right go to. Watch out for baby ticks or as they are called seed ticks.

the overlook today was overgrown which was a little rough to get through but we had fun anyway.

The rocky portion of the trail was a little too dangerous for my 5 year old, as she realize the need to be careful. Parts of the rocky trail were too narrow for her, and I was very stressed just trying to keep her safe. I would definitely recommend it for older children and adults, but just not for younger children. I have an 8 year old that went on the trail, and he did fine. Once down at the falls, we had trouble finding the path that goes back up. We looked for an hour for it. But once we found it, we made our way back fine. The swimming hole is nice as long as you don’t mind the rocks. The falls are very pretty.

Well, I shouldn’t have trusted “kid friendly”, we arrived having read the 2 mile round trip reviews, def closer to 3 miles. Granted we were wearing sandals and flip flops, this was a decently difficult hike for people who don’t hike often. I wore a baby carrier and sandals and I was able To complete the hike, however I did have to go over and under and through a section of fallen trees blocking the trail. For the most part the trail was marked well, follow the yellow at the bottom to see the waterfall, bring something to swim in bc it’s def well deserved after the steep descent, jus retrace your steps to get back to your vehicle, ignore your gps and stop when you see the sign on the side of the road