Stiffknee Trail

Stiffknee Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vonore, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is NOT an easy trail and not recommended for out and back. After leaving Farr Gap you enter Wilderness and a steep drop - 40% grade - you don't want to hike up this trail. Great way to get to Slick Rock Creek and beautiful camping spots. Good for multi day trip to Yellow Hammer Gap, Nichols Cove, Big Fat Gap to Hangover, Bob Bald and Beech Gap. It was part of the Benton Mackaye Trail but BMT was rerouted because of the dangerous crossing (at high water events) at Slick Rock Creek.

Trail is to the right & there is a map.

Pretty insignificant trail. Very seldom trafficked makes you question if you’re even on the trail (+ no blazes or anything). Best views are from the beginning. Should be rated hard.

Getting there: Our map provides two ways and we took the shortest time option which was the longest in the forest... bad idea. We added 2 hours to our commute because we took this way and it’s mainly a dirt road with a bunch of holes and I drive my civic.

well to start with i would not rate it easy. the trail head is flat then all down hill from there, they do call it stiffknee. once you decend the walk through the hollers are great, the junction of little slick rock and slick rock creek is worth a sore knee. just remember what went must go up. i would plan a good day for this hike, take some hammocks and cook a meal and relax, you will burn the calories on the hike out. great trail last i was on.

I love this trail. However, giving it an "easy" rating is crazy. I've been on many trails I'd rate easy before I'd consider this one easy. My friends and I judge all other trails by stiffknee on our stiffknee scale. Just saying.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This trail is specified easy on here. It should be difficult! Unless your going in and not coming back out and going to the other side to get picked up. Lots of blow down in the cove on the way to little slick rock but worth it . Very beautiful.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Excellent trail with many scenic views. Trail isn't marked being in a wilderness area. Great access to Slickrock Creek after 3.7 miles down hill. The most beautiful campsite you'll find anywhere at the trail's terminus with the Slickrock Creek trail.

Saturday, June 10, 2017