Starr Mountain Trail

Starr Mountain Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tellico Plains, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Etowah: Travel south on Hwy. 411 to Wetmore. Turn left on County Road #163. Cross railroad tracks and bear right continuing on to the Forest Boundary and FDR #2014. Proceed to the parking lot (a dead end) and the trail begins near the gate on the right. This also serves the spur trail 190A.

rock climbing

Awesome trial with great views and rock climbing.

The pictures are NOT the same trail the directions take you to. If you want the views in the pictures you must go to a different Starr Mountain Trail. We went about 13 miles total for nothing. We had planned on backpacking but just hiked back out after we realized what had happened. If anyone knows the directions to the real hike let me know! Thanks!

Easy trail to do, even took my dog with me. Nice Sunday stroll

I heard awesome things about this place but couldn't find it. Anyone have info regarding the trailhead I'm down.

The trail is well marked for the first several miles. We made it up to the ridge then came back down, about 7 miles round trip. The views are probably amazing but it was super foggy for us. Will be hiking this trail again, hopefully to the end.

Trail begins right before Starr Mountain #190 sign and turns into the woods. Trail is marked good the first half. One sharp turn about a mile in is easy to miss. There are quite a few large lose rocks. Once to the switch backs your almost to the top of Starr Mtn. On top of the mountain it's a nice ridge walk.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

It starts on an old logging road, so it's easy to follow for the first mile or so, but the trail disappears around the point where its supposed to climb the eastern slope of the ridge. Since I only had a couple of hours to spare I decided to postpone a stricter search for another day. An alternate way to reach the summit is via the Coffee Branch Horse Trail starting out of the Lost Corral Campground.

Alltrails Pro doesn't show the trail on its GPS.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Much less exciting than Gee Creek. First mile just up hill.