Starr Mountain Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tellico Plains, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Hike down Chestnut Mountain trail until you hit the intersection with Coffee Creek trail on the left. Take Coffee Creek trail up Chestnut Mountain until you see side trail to the bluff. Starr Mountain is west of Chestnut Mountain and separated by Gee Creek.

the trail is overgrown and muddy. do not walk. it's pointless! when I came out on the road, I just turned around and went back down the trail to the Jeep and the lookout is directly off the road. so you're just going to see The overlook just keep driving and you will find it. the walk is not scenic.

The trail was very confusing and in marked. The maps took me to a long road which was horrible (very big deep potholes) we ended up just parking where we saw cars but had to ask someone where the trail was. It went up about a mile then we lost where the trail was. It is unmarked and hard to figure out if you are unfamiliar. I wouldn’t recommend this if you don’t go on many hikes. I hike very often and it was hard for me. (finding it & staying on the trail) It’s a beautiful view though.

bridge out

The pictures of this trail and the location on the map are not the correct location or pictures for “starr mountain”. “Starr mountain” is what everyone mistakenly calls chestnut bluff. So if you plan on going to the place in the pictures good luck because this isn’t the place you’re looking for.

recorded Starr Mountain Trail

I DID THE TRAIL NEAR GEE CREEK / RELIANCE on spring creek road. This is one of my favorite hikes nearby. The trail can be hard to find if you’ve never been. You really have to look for the cut out like parking in order to find it. It’s a really short hike but had outstanding views. If I were in the area, this is where I’d go.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Very short hike for such a good view

Wed Jan 02 2019

We took the trail past the Gee Creek campground. Carpooled and parked on the side. Crossed RR tracks and straight up we went. One of the more fun and technical hikes we have done in this area(our backyard) Loved it. Doing it again once the ground dries up a little. Midway up on main trail...there is a large boulder coming loose. Go around it.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Trail was marked in the beginning but then the blazes disappeared and the trail was overgrown. Ended up finding the road and coming back down. I was not impressed.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Don’t use the directions attached to the app unless you want to end up at the start of somebody’s driveway and no signal to be able to get yourself out of the rocky roads and steep mountain turns

Sun Feb 18 2018

Good trail you’ll have to deal with hiking up the mountain but it’s not to bad all in all good hike. We hiked this in mid February and saw lots of bear scat on the trail

Started at trailhead beside gee creek. Walked 1 mike then came back. Nothing to see but trees at that point

rock climbing
Wed Sep 06 2017

Awesome trial with great views and rock climbing.

Sun May 07 2017

Easy trail to do, even took my dog with me. Nice Sunday stroll

Mon Feb 27 2017

I heard awesome things about this place but couldn't find it. Anyone have info regarding the trailhead I'm down.

Sun Jan 01 2017

The trail is well marked for the first several miles. We made it up to the ridge then came back down, about 7 miles round trip. The views are probably amazing but it was super foggy for us. Will be hiking this trail again, hopefully to the end.

Sun Jan 01 2017

Trail begins right before Starr Mountain #190 sign and turns into the woods. Trail is marked good the first half. One sharp turn about a mile in is easy to miss. There are quite a few large lose rocks. Once to the switch backs your almost to the top of Starr Mtn. On top of the mountain it's a nice ridge walk.

Thu Mar 10 2016

Much less exciting than Gee Creek. First mile just up hill.