Squibb Creek Trail

Squibb Creek Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chuckey, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There is a parking lot on Horse Creek Road just before the blacktop turns to forest road. Continue up the the forest road following Horse Creek for .2 miles and take a left on the wooden bridge to access the path. In another tenth of a mile your will pass the Sampson Mountain Wilderness Boundary sign where Squibb Creek ours into Horse Creek. Continue another half mile crossing 2 well constructed footbridges until you take a sharp right over Squibb Creek. You'll know you have gone too far if you see the Turkey Pen Cove Trail sign. It's just 20 paces past where you should have crossed Squibb Creek. The next part goes uphill and you will cross the creek 12 times on the way to the falls. The approach is from the right side of Squibb Creek and you will notice a Z-shaped switch back after the final crossing.

The trail needs to be marked clearly. I ended up missing it and going down the Turkey Pen Trail ( I think that's what it's called). I'm going to try again soon.

Definitely some elevation gain but a good hike. Saw bear scat and tracks so that kept me on my toes. Had bear spray but really didn't want to have to use it.

I think some dissapointed hiker might followed the main map above, which actually incorrect in a way that it does not follow the Squibb creek trail all the way. It misses a right turn and it goes on the turkey pen trail. This will not lead to the main waterfall. See my recording for the trail, if you want to see the large waterfall. Note: I suggested an edit to the main map that may fix this

I was a bit disappointed. The waterfall was nice, but I don't think it was worth the hike.

I didn't think it was worth the hike

Monday, September 26, 2016

Monday, September 12, 2016

We did this hike 9-10-16 with two kids, 11&8 -great hike! Everyone loved it. There were lots of cars at the picnic area but almost no one on the trail. The waterfall is lovely and would have been even better if it hadn't been so dry lately. Two members of our party got stung by yellow jackets on the way down, there was a ground nest on trail. The kids wished we had brought a change of clothes or swimming suit, since there is a neat place you can swim near the picnic area. I'd come again in the spring, there was evidence that there would be nice wildflowers.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Saturday, January 02, 2016

This one gets the award for most creek crossings in 2 miles. More moderate as it is mostly uphill to the destination and the footing can be a little rocky in places. Overall a nice hike with lots of green even in the winter. Has a rain-forest feel to it. Mosses, ferns and water everywhere. The waterfall at the end isn't huge but it is pretty. The creek has multiple cascades along the way up.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

enjoyed the hike. it was really beautiful! this more moderate than easy, but the climb up is worth the effort.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A nice hike with a lot of fun stream crossings. The waterfall at the end is beautiful. My best friend and I saw so many different types of cool mushrooms,flowers, a feisty 12" snake, cute toad, and there was a momma bear with 2 cubs that scattered when the people in front of us startled them. It was a fun afternoon adventure. :)

Sunday, August 23, 2015

This was a nice little trail to an exquisite waterfall. The trail was easy to moderate with a small ascent on the second half of the trail leading to the waterfall. It ended up to be about 4.5 miles from the parking lot to the falls and back. The beginning of the trail is a shared access trail to each of Squibb Creek, Turkey Pen Cove and Middle Spring trails. It surprised me I saw no other hikers on the trail at 10 AM on a nice summer Saturday as the campground seemed active when I drove through it. I crossed a bridge about 2 tenths of a mile from the parking lot and then passed the wilderness boundary and 2 more bridges and an A-shaped cabin on the way to the fork of the trail. I actually missed the turn and ran into the sign for Turkey Pen Cove trail (# 15). I then backtracked 25 feet or so and crossed Squibb Creek. A short ways up this path there was actually a sign that said Squibb Creek trail (# 23). I guess this may have actually been the beginning of the trail but I had already walked about 3/4 of a mile. Shortly, I passed the sign to Middle Spring trail( # 4). From this point I crossed the creek a dozen times. There were many steps leading up and down the the creek crossings and plenty of rocks to keep my feet from getting wet. At the end was the treasure, a nice waterfall. I also saw many different colors of fungus and mushrooms, a tiny lizard with a neon blue tail and a fluffy white caterpillar. This was one of the easiest trails I have been on lately, covered in leaves and pine needles and few rocks except the stream crossings. I barely made a sound, even with hiking poles.