Spruce Flats Falls Trail

Spruce Flats Falls Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 413 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice rugged hike with lovely views!

Amazing waterfall and also saw a bear. I really enjoyed this one

Just finished this hike. I would rate it a HIGH moderate. would not advise small children as the trail is narrow, root, rocky and steep. I would never hike after a rain. would be slippery. However, having said that, the waterfall is beautiful. It was one of the best falla we've hiked. Oh, and we saw a small bear cub on the way to the falls. So that is always a plus.

My family and I hike this trail mid day and although it was 90 degrees outside, it was an enjoyable because the trail is well shaded. The trail winds up and down steady inclines, with a fairly moderate rocky and root filled terrain. The waterfall and creek below are a beautiful sight and a fun places to play around.

This was a awesome trail. Short but sweet.

Short hike along rooted and rocky terrain. The falls at the end were beautiful. We spotted a bear on the trail. Great start to our Smoky Mountains experience!

Rocky trail with lots of tree roots. Follows a cliff/edge the whole way. Gorgeous waterfall at the end. A shortie but goodie. Well worth the hike!

I would rate as moderate +. Beautiful Waterfalls.

It was a little more than moderate hike with rocks and tree roots but it was doable for this out of shape 45 year old from flat land Indiana!!! The end result is way worth it!!!! Sat there for 2 hrs or more!!! Push yourself to receive the reward!!!

I was pleasantly surprised by this trail. I didn't think it would be as fun as it was to hike. lots of rocks and roots to scramble over, pretty, deep woods with the trail cutting through the mountain side and a beautiful, decent sized waterfall at the end. just know that unless you go early in the day, there will be a lot of people at the waterfall. the last little section before the waterfall is the steepest to get down to the falls. if you don't like navigating and scrambling over lots of rocks and large tree roots, them this trail isn't for you, but I really enjoyed this little hike and will go again.

Gorgeous trail!!! Be careful as 2 bears were spotted but I have never seen a trail as beautiful as this one. Moderate with some steep spots so I wouldn’t bring children under 7 but it’s doable for most.

Beautiful trail. Plenty of rocks and roots, so watch your step. Short trail but steep in places. Waterfall is well worth the hike. There was a family there when we got there around 1 pm, but after they left, we had the place to ourselves until we left about a half hour later. Perfect place to cool off on a hot day.

Loved this hike! Fairly easy with an absolutely beautiful waterfall at the end! We spent about a hour at it just relaxing around it.

We hiked this with our three kids (10,7,4) and it was a rocky and root filled path. They did well but it was rougher than I expected. There were also yellow jackets along the trail. All that to say the kids did great and the waterfall was beautiful!

Decent hike not maintained on the off trail section in areas. Falls were beautiful.

Falls were beautiful. I only encountered one other person on the trail but also crossed paths with a baby cub. By the way, I thought I could use the road to reach the falls. Although there are other falls that appear to be in the same spot on the map, they do not compare to the one found on the trail.

Short easy trail with big views! Stunning waterfall. Went during the summer wasn't muddy when we went.

It was definitely challenging as it was an uphill climb in very Rocky terrain. Closed toe shoes a must. absolutely beautiful once you arrive but it's not an easy trail.

Nice short trail. The trail actually keeps going after the water fall.

Wife and I loved it. Perfect length with a great reward at the end.

Hike was very rocky but the waterfall at the end was amazing.

We took our 7, 5 and 3 year old. It was difficult for the 3 year old, she was carried most of the way. It was challenging for the rest of us. The path is narrow, rocky and exposed roots along the trail. I wouldn’t recommend this trail right after a rain with children. The waterfall at the end is beautiful and there is a swimming hole. Bring your bathing suits. The trail is not crowded.

Not crowded. Did see a snake however, so pay attention to where you are stepping

Trail is not crowded. Some trail parts were slightly challenging but beautiful ending. Waterfall is beautiful and worth hiking to view.

Beautiful waterfall that has multiple sections to it. I found this to be my most challenging hike so far, in terms of hiking over roots and boulders, and most rewarding considering the waterfall and view. I would definitely do it again.

Absolutely amazing! My three boys (ages 9, 7, and 5) all had a blast! This was a new hike for my husband and I, and it was fun to hear that it’s not even on the map. Because of that, it’s not very busy! The waterfall was our favorite to date! We packed water shoes and played in the water once we arrived at the end. It was breathtaking!

We are not experienced hikers but loved this hike and found it entirely manageable. It has some uphill areas and is a bit rocky. Closed toe shoes seemed quite necessary. You can swim or wade in the waterfall and if I was to do it again I would throw a pair of water shoes or waterproof sandals into my backpack because walking barefoot into the water was very rocky, so hurt my feet. It wasn't a crowded trail (Monday in July) but we certainly saw quite a few people, including a group of about 30 day campers and their counselors from a local camp. We loved it and would definitely recommend.

Great, short trail. A lot of people go to Laurel Falls for a short trail, but I really liked Spruce Flats better. Nice, not too difficult trail, nice waterfall at the end. It’s definitely a little difficult to track, but if you go to where the GPS takes you to the trailhead, follow the signs that say “Falls.”

No spruce flats fall sign. Just follow the trail to the signs that say “falls”. It’s a good work out for sure but even On a Thursday it was very highly trafficked and that really ruins a trail for me

Great day to hike this short trail. A few heavy rains help me cool off.