South Rim Trail

South Rim Trail is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near Gruetli-Laager, Tennessee. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Monday, September 05, 2016

South Rim trail is pretty easy, well marked, and relatively flat. It's very well shaded. I didn't put my sunglasses on once. There are a few decent overlooks but they are all prettymuch the same. The Stagecoach Road Historic Trail should be renamed the "Pecan Deathmarch." The trail is pretty steep and littered with baseball-size and larger LOOSE rocks. It was much more difficult hiking it downhill than uphill.

Monday, April 18, 2016

I started out at the Savage Gulf Ranger Station and headed over to the South Rim Trail to stay the night at the StageCoach Road Campsites. The trail itself is extremely easy and the scenic overlook trails off to the side are gorgeous. As far as the trail goes, there isn't much to look at. There is an old moonshine still and an overturned vehicle in the woods, but that's about the extent of it. The scenic overlooks make this trail totally worth it though. =) Just a heads up though the ticks are AWFUL this year. I probably pulled 20 off of me over the course of 24 hours.

If you plan to stay at the StageCoach Road Camp, It is very well maintained with plenty of downed trees for firewood. There is also a stream near by to filter water from. It was possibly the most well maintained back country site I have ever visited.

Happy Trails Everyone!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Thursday, July 23, 2015

South Rim is a little boring in comparison with North Rim and Big Creek Rim. The views just aren't as dramatic. The old moonshine still and old vehicle in the woods near the trail were interesting.

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Great hike. We hiked it by accident - intended to do North Rim Loop - but enjoyed this one. Saw lots of wildlife and my children (3 & 7) were able to walk it all with no problems at all. Trail ends at a campsite. You have to walk back to get to the ranger station.

Monday, September 05, 2011

This is a very enjoyable rim trail with quite a few nice overlooks and views. I don't think it is as popular as the north rim because I encountered no one both times I hiked the trail. All the Savage Gulf rim trails are worth the time for the views you will see.