South Cove Trail Loop is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Brentwood, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

I combined the South Cove Trail with parts of the South Lake Trail. As a beginner hiker, this was the most difficult hike I have attempted yet due to the steep elevation climbs, but this hike may have been the most rewarding. There is much to admire here in terms of wildlife. I saw chipmunks near the trail, and a deer crossed my path just 10 feet in front of me. There have been some safety concerns at Radnor with the recent attempted assault of a woman on the Ganier Ridge Loop Trail, but I came across another hiker who frequents the park who says she still feels very safe on the trails which made me feel better.

Great exercise in a hardwood forest terrain. The trails at Radnor are jewels that require continued public support. We love hiking there. Combined South Cove with Garnier today while training for upcoming Utah trip.

Excellent hike. Good elevation changes. We saw a snake, accidentally stepped on a lizard’s tail and saw it break loose, lots of squirrels and chipmunks, of course. It was a solid 20 degrees cooler under the shade of the trees on this trail than it was elsewhere. 8&9 year old kids managed this one easily, but it was a little scary for their mom as they wanted to run downhill with large drop offs on one side of them. No such worry for adults. Just know if you’re taking kids you’ll want to be sure they’ll listen when you tell them to slow down.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017