Sinking Waters Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kingsport, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Three loops comprise of this trail narrated by signs in the trail telling of the first settling family in the area. The boardwalk at the bottom of the trail circles a series of small sink hold where the water trickles into (perhaps more so in the rainy season).

Lil elevation change but a good trip with my new girlfriend and her child probably my 4th time here!

sinking waters is a moderately easy hike. there's shade along the trail, with very little uphill walks. I would consider it kid friendly for sure.

I live along this trail (that's our vineyard), so it gets a 5 for convenience. You can make it easy by staying on lower half of loops, or go high for climbs. Markings could be better. Its a fairly recent acquisition, so new growth still in some areas. Just past the boardwalk is golf course and riding stables. We often extend hike through there to Devil's Backbone trail and Fall Creek Loop trail. For that trip, plan for 3-4 hours. Done alone, this trails takes an hour for all 3 loops at 3 mph.

I did this hike in Autumn and was not very impressed. The views were not very good and at the time no water was found anywhere. Much better trails in the area. But if you are looking for something different then it’s a decent hike.

Friday, July 07, 2017

It's a nice trail. The decline isn't noticed on the first portion so the incline creeps up on you on the way back. There could be better markings on the trail, there are so many forks that you could get lost very easily, even with a map. The history told about in the signs is interesting.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I took our 2 youngest daughters and our husky on this trail today. Seemed easy enough, but coming back the incline sneeks up on you when you haven't walked or hiked for 3 months. We will definitely come back when the flowers and trees are in bloom.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Nice trip

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Nice little trail, went a little later n the evening than I probably should have....since it was dark on the way out and I had a 10 week old pup with me. However, it was well kept, for a trail not on the beaten path

Sunday, July 24, 2016

It was great, we got caught in a huge downpour that was concentrated right above us. This made the hike really fun and challenging because all of the water pouring off the mountains. It started lightning really bad and we had to turn back at the marsh, will definitely go back

Saturday, May 21, 2016

trail map says 3.0, my GPS says 2.4. regrdless, nice easy trail when not encountering loose dogs. there are always unleashed dogs, be forewarned

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Nice easy relaxing little hike. Kid and Dog friendly

Saturday, April 16, 2016

The views were beautiful and the terrain was just the right mix! Loved it!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Loved it. just the right mix.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Nice short hike! Informational signs were neat to tell the story of the area. Couple of steep inclines that felt the burn but enjoyable.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Nice short hike! Trail has some steep inclines but with the loops and informational signs, it's very nice.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I didn't know this trail existed. Very enjoyable short hike. There were lots of spider webs. Didn't see any animals. There are a couple of benches to rest at. There's a long bridge that goes over some boggy area that is neat. There are signs that tell you the story of the area. Like mentioned before it has some small inclines that get your heart going and the trail is a bit narrow. Didn't see anyone else there. Hiked in the morning it was nice and secluded.

Monday, June 29, 2015

This is a very nice trail. Actual total length is more like 2.85 miles if you walk all 3 loops. We walked the trail by keeping left at all forks. You end up on the golf course at the apex of the last loop. We didn't see any wildlife, even though we were quiet and looking hard. It was about 3PM on a warm Sunday. Lots of insects along the trail, so be sure to spray your bottom half with Deet, and take a web wacker, unless you like the taste of fresh web. ;-) The best part of the walk/hike is that the trail does not seem to be well know. The rest of the park was swarming with people and pets, the Sinking Waters trail was devoid of people. Great trail for a couple of hours out of your afternoon.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Enjoyable hike through various natural environments. There are some big trees to be seen including the Queen of the Sycamores with massive long branches that sweep out and touch the ground in places. Also, a 150+ year old boxwood gone wild at the site of a former settlement. A few decent climbs make for a good workout without being too strenuous. The boardwalk section of the bottom loop circles through a swampy area with sinkholes and cave-ins to be seen, hence the "sinking waters." It's pretty interesting to see and hear the water disappearing into the inner earth. We also spotted two nice sized deer cutting through the woods, paralleling the trail.

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Good trail for a quick exercise. It has the inclination to get the blood pumping. Old trail too. Unless someone takes you there or you looked it up, you will not find it. I grew up around these parts and did not know about it until 10 years ago. Someone showed me the trail. I still hike it. I liked it very well. I think maybe because of the discretion.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mostly easy trail with some interesting features such as a board walk thru a boggy area and sinks with small streams disappearing into them .. 3 loops plan to go back and do the ridgeline loop. Some interesting signs giving the history of the area.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Due to the light usage you'll have to contend with a lot of spider webs spanning the trail. Take a walking staff or tracking pole for web whacking! On the upside, if you're quiet you'll likely stumble upon some deer in the surrounding woods. The paths contain some narration about the first known family to inhabit the area.

Sunday, November 12, 2017