Sill Branch Falls

Sill Branch Falls is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Erwin, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,213 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The first part of the hike has an easy incline, when the trail forks, stick to the left and you'll immediately cross a small stream. Continue on up this steep section of trail and you'll soon arrive at the falls.

Great hike - the water falls were pretty. Lots of creek crossings, climbing over and around fallen trees. Leaves are changing so it was a treat. Trekking poles were helpful for the ascent.

My pup and I saw a black bear and her two cubs!! So be aware if you head out here in the near future. Lots of food and scraps left around the falls. If you’re actually looking for an easy 4 mile hike, this is not it. If you head to the right (where you get about 3 miles of distance) the trail becomes extremely steep with a lot of loose rocks I almost fell multiple times going up and down. So I’m only giving it three stars. Even though the bear was AMAZING!!!

My only complaint is that I went during a dry spell. The falls were more of a trickle. But still beautiful.

Short but pretty hike to the falls. There wasn’t much too the falls. Not much rain when we went. This was a good walk for our dogs.

Don’t use GPS directions, Google & Apple Maps were completely wrong. From Crossroads Country Store, you take 107 towards Greeneville, then turn left on Clark Creek Rd. Go straight until you go into CNF, keep going, you go over a bridge, then there is parking at the trail head. We took the left to the falls, which is only .5 Miles to the falls, the longer trail is to the right. It was pretty steep, but smooth, to the falls.

Warning ⚠️ Make sure you use google maps for directions to the place! We initially used Apple maps and ended up on private property!

Good trail with a moderate grade and the falls were gorgeous . The directions to the trail on google maps is incorrect . The trail access is off of hwy 107 then turn down Clark Creek Road and head into the Cherokee National Forest .

great trail for beginners and pet friendly

great hike I found a fitbit if anyone is looking for it.

We followed the gps directions from the app and it tried to take us to someone’s private property. If you go to the road that runs parallel, you’ll find the trails. We decided to do the shorter hike due to time constraints. If you want about a .6 mile hike to the falls (but very steep), keep driving about a mile after the road turns to gravel in the Cherokee National Forest. So about a mile further than the first trailhead. It’s a beautiful waterfall. We had the place to ourselves and it was surreal. I am 6 months pregnant and could still do the steep hike to the falls, just be careful if you aren’t great with balance. The longer hike has more switch backs and isn’t as steep.

Beautiful scenic short hike. The falls were lovely.

trail is great but definitely not accurate on here. lovely hike though!

Worth the view! Waterfalls are really pretty.

It's a short trail, only one very steep part that's like stadium stairs steep and thats only for 15-20 yards. But it's rugged and even though it's totally shaded it can be hot and muggy in July. The waterfall is much more impressive in person than in photographs. They usually are. As others said, take the North (on your left) trail at the fork to see the falls. There were a few folks enjoying the falls today. 5 plus me. I look forward to a return trip.

Easy hike to great falls!!

beautiful easy walk

Was a nice little hike. We had our 9 yr old with us and she handled it well.

I hiked to this waterfall for the first time two days after turning 65! I'm not in the greatest of shape, but this hike was hardly a challenge for me. One steep uphill climb (after crossing the creek) slowed me down, but nothing significant. It's a highly rewarding hike (I went after some recent heavy rains), as there were many places to stop and photograph cascades and mini-waterfalls. Sill Branch Falls is one of the best in this region (I've visited most of the others). I set out on the hike at nearly 9:30 a.m. on a Tuesday, and by the time I returned to my car a little over an hour later I had met only one group of three adults and four young boys. The beauty on this hike is an attraction, and I loved the solitude I enjoyed that day. My Google Maps on my iPhone took me straight to the trailhead. I promise myself that I will do this hike again. I noticed a couple of large patches of trillium, but they had already dropped their blooms - my loss!

See previous review by PJ for very accurate directions and description. Thank you PJ. This is an easy hike and quite picturesque. The gravel road to the trailhead is a rough is spots. Don’t need a 4x4 but I wouldn’t attempt with a low rider.

***This is on Clark’s Creek rd off hwy 107. Do not follow the directions from AllTrails.***. Very nice hike! Beautiful waterfall and much bigger than the pictures seem. Only about 1 mile round trip from the actual trail head. Follow Clark’s creek until you hit gravel and go about another 1.5 miles, pass the first parking area on the left and the trail head is ahead on left with some parking (brown trail marker). Hike to the split and stay left to go to the waterfall!

Short hike, uphill, moderate but short, so easy, one creek crossing to the left, not too difficult. Huge fall. Beautiful! A little muddy but definitely worth going after these heavy rains!

Looks like nobody documented it the way we did it. We took a 6 mile 6.5 hour hike and enjoyed every minute of it. The difference is we made it a loop. After the lower N. Fork Falls, we came back down to the S. Fork and headed up. We crossed the South Fork about 1/4 mile past split of the trails going to N. and S. Fork. Then climbed the steep overgrown old road to nowhere. Once we passed the wide spot with the view we did a traverse and steep, very steep, scramble down, back to the North Fork. We took in the upper Sill Branch Falls, followed along stream left up another old road near the trib. Crossed the trib, continued to an Upper Upper Sill Branch Falls, and then headed up to reach an old lateral road below the ridge. Found a right hand fork - unmarked - which is the top of the South Fork trail, and the rest is a lovely walk back down along the stream. Overall, there was lots of bushwacking - not easy. There was plenty of water - good flow, great pictures.

The falls were AMAZING. The south trail gets extremely steep and kinda is a path to nowhere. But the scenery by the creek(s) is really nice. Several creek crossing on south trail. Some easier than others.

Short easy hike. Do not go when water levels are low.

Mon Nov 05 2018

Beautiful hike. Well worth it when you get to the top and see the falls.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Short hike with an amazing reward! Getting to the falls is very easy a hike. Just make sure when you come to the split to stay on Sill Branch North that will take you directly to the waterfall. The south part of the trail follows the creek and makes for a great day hike.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Pretty easy overall. I’d recommend this for anybody looking for a high payoff for a short hike. Any skill level can do this hike. Those with knee trouble should take a sturdy walking stick as there is a steep incline/decline. I hiked this today (9/7/18) in a rush. It only took about 20 minutes of actual walking to get there and back. I will definitely go back and take the whole family.