Signal Point Trail via Signal Point Park

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(145)
Prentice Cooper State Forest

Signal Point Trail via Signal Point Park is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Signal Mountain, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of May 2020, users have reported this trail still has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Park and trails remain closed 5/25/20.

Signal point closed

This was an incredible hike! It was my first time on this trail and I am very out of shape. I almost died and my Apple Watch was consistently trying to call emergency services for me because my heart rate sky-rocketed. In between gasps of air, the views were beautiful! Kind of steep and rocky at some points, but beautiful nonetheless as I came in and out of consciousness. I can’t comment on Rainbow Falls because I didn’t make it even halfway, but the small children skipping past me as I vomited into the bushes were talking about how pretty it was at the end! Definitely check it out!

Beautiful spring hike with several wildflowers in bloom and plenty of water in the streams. The wooden steps at the beginning of the hike are way overdue for replacement. I slipped and fell since they were also damp. New aluminum steps with safety treads would be nice!!!!

closed

I went on this trail back in 2017 and it's still one of my favorites in Chattanooga. The trail was closed 1/4 of the way through because of all of the rain, but the hidden gems of waterfalls, caves, giant rocks and gorgeous views of the river made it worth while! I'd live to go again someday! Totally worth it.

Good all-around trail. Should be OK for dogs, would not be ideal for smaller kids unless they are outdoorsy. We didn’t follow exact trail for some of it but pretty much knew where we were going.

Steep and uneven stairs at the start, a bit of scrambling throughout. Large rocks that are fun to hop on. Huge boulders and caves to see from the trail! We tried scrambling up to see the inside of a cave but got spooked (thought I saw eyes of a critter living inside). Went during Thanksgiving break so plenty of leaves on the ground which made it easy to slip if you weren’t being careful. Beautiful views of the river throughout. Saw lots of people on the trail. There is a building by the parking lot that has bathrooms, but these are incredibly derelict. Toilets don’t flush but people have (understandably) been using them anyway. Broken glass on the floor. One of the bathrooms is just straight up locked. It’s sad that these public restrooms are in this condition considering how much private wealth there is in that neighborhood.

My 8 year old dog and I love to hike and he keeps up very very well, but we had to turn around because he was scared and couldn’t manage all the huge stairs and drops to even get down to the trail. Even for a 75lb big old boy those stairs and jumps down were too far. Wouldn’t recommend bringing a dog unless they’re really young and can hop around really easily.

We did this hike back in April.. as others have said it was not well marked and muddy (at the time) definitely a moderate hike but the bridge crossings are neat and the view at the end is stunning of our Tennessee River! Definitely a good hike if in the Chatt area!!

This was a great trail that lead to a spectacular view, a nice river and man made dam. The trail was fairly easy to traverse, except for some downed trees and rocky sections.

Tough hike with lots of rocks which makes it slow, especially if it’s wet. Be weary of going down to the waterfall. Other reviews have mentioned it and we tried it only because we missed the sign cautioning against it. With the recent rain it made finding a sturdy footholds impossible. We turned around after falling several times. Beautiful overlooks despite the trail being poorly marked.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Probably the best view of the Tennessee River in Chattanooga

Thu Nov 22 2018

Great trail! Variety of terrain. lots of rocks and tree limbs to traverse made it fun. Have to keep your eyes on the trail especially in the fall when the leaves cover

Thu Nov 01 2018

This was great trail with a couple of variations for length. Like others said, it seems to be minimally tended to so there are areas with trees down and a few spots you have to climb or traverse. Our 70 lb boxer was able to handle it well. The stairs at the beginning might be the hardest parts with really uneven step gaps. The waterfall is worth the short (but steep) off trail venture. Absolutely stunning. Views are outstanding right at the beginning.

Tue Sep 25 2018

This is one of my favorite hiking trails. Especially when you make it down to Rainbow Falls ;)

Tue Sep 04 2018

I'll be back to search for a safe path down to the elusive Rainbow Falls.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Unfortunately the trail has not been maintained at all. There are numerous washouts, several widow maker trees that block the trail and frankly make parts of the trail unsafe, and the worst part of the trail is closer to the dam. A large tree blocks the trail, so you have to climb down the edge of the gorge to pass, but its basically a muddy, and almost impassible, cliff edge. I would not recommend this trail until some serious trail maintenance has been performed. It's sad to see just how dilapidated it has become, since this was the trail that made us fall in love with hiking and Chattanooga. Until some serious trail maintenance is performed, this trail should be rated as difficult. Full trail review + pics coming soon to our hiking blog: www.Wander-Full-Life.com