Learn more

Cumberland Trail: Signal Point to Suck Creek Road

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(68)
Prentice Cooper State Forest

Cumberland Trail: Signal Point to Suck Creek Road is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Signal Mountain, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,359 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Like wtf I got so lost. AllTrails royally fucked me on getting where I want to go

We only went to mushroom rock and turned around (almost 12 miles). It’s a nice hike nonetheless. The swinging bridge is fun

We did this as a one way, point-to-point and it was about 8.5 miles. We started at Signal Point and ended at Suck Creek Road. It was definitely a difficult hike - especially for the first 2-3 miles. The stretch from Edwards Point to the Mushroom Rock is easier and you will make much better time. There are a couple of points where I thought the trail could have been better marked. I found it a little confusing to figure out which way to go. Luckily we had printed out the trail description from CumberlandTrail.org and it guided us in the right direction. Otherwise we may have taken a wrong turn.

Sun Jun 30 2019

Ride-shared to TN 27 trailhead from Signal Point. $25 well spent! Gorgeous trek to Mushroom Rock, then a favorite trace along Suck Creek Gorge with ample views of TN River Gorge. Very quiet and sparsely used. Edwards Point is a great lunch over spot then tough down and up to Signal Point. Lots of rocks and mud and then scrambling at Signal Point. Lots of day users here, too. Went ahead and stopped to remove downed brush and small trees blocking trail below retirement villas. Takes a village to run a village!

Very pretty but definitely difficult. I’d come back when I’m in better shape

Mon May 27 2019

I have actually hiked portions of this trail several times, in all seasons. Fall through early spring is best, in my opinion. By the time rhododendrons and mountain laurels are blooming in spring, you have to watch out for ticks. I found 3 on me this last time. The best views are in the Signal Point to Edwards Point portion, but you have to negotiate a little elevation change and some moderate rock gardens; rocks are small, but watch your ankles. If Edwards Point is your destination, starting at the Rainbow Lake trailhead on Ohio Ave. cuts of some distance and eliminates running into ATVs on other alternative approaches to the point. Edwards Point to Mushroom Rock is easy in terms of relatively flat terrain. Though utilizing the section from Mushroom Rock to Suck Creek adds some challenging elevation changes, it is much less scenic, and not long after Edwards Point, you are too far from the gorge rim to see much. A trail from Mushroom Rock lead back to Signal Mountain High School, which makes a nice halfway break, if you don't want to do the whole trail. Just be mindful that the trails around the school are not well marked in some instances. If you are in for the whole thing, starting at Suck Creek makes more of a climactic "finish" (remember you have to hike 8 miles back from there).

Thu Mar 21 2019

This would be a 5 star rating if I had done it backward. If you start at signal mountain, you get gorgeous views and pretty rugged up and down climbing for the first 3.5 miles out. Then, if you're ambitious and want to do the whole hike, you'll notice a steep incline and decline toward the farthest point at suck creek. The "prize" is not worth the extra miles and elevation as it is a highway over a pretty lame creek. So of you're a distance junkie, wanting to do this trail in its entirety (16.8 miles btw), it is amazing and gorgeous. It just might give you more satisfaction starting at suck creek and treating yourself with a delicious treat of a view.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Tough on beginners but well worth it if you can make it.

Sun Aug 12 2018

My favorite hike! Beautiful views, challenging but awesome! Takes you to other connecting trails if you want longer hikes.

Thu May 24 2018

beautiful!

Mon Nov 13 2017

great fall hike.

Mon Nov 06 2017

Beautiful this week for us with fall colors in full bloom, lots of trees down between Edwards and signal point.. beyond Edwards we only saw a few people, mushroom rock is really cool. The campsite at suck creek was very large and could accommodate several groups. We were dropped off at signal and picked up at suck creek road the next morning. Made for a nice days hike with a 20lb pack

Tue Oct 24 2017

Excellent out and back

Thu Jul 13 2017

This section of trail is an excellent example of what this region and the Cumberland Trail as a whole offers. Multiple unobstructed views, stream crossings, geological features, and decent elevation changes.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Awesome views! Signal Point was my first, true hike... I'm hooked! I'm ready for my next trail!

Fri May 05 2017

Great trail

Wed Mar 22 2017

fun and defiantly challenging with pug in tow.

ohv/off road driving
Sat Mar 11 2017

why is this marked with off roading?

Wed Jan 11 2017

we found this to be a bit harder than we thought but we're flatland erst from Orlando. Loved the overlook about .4 miles from the larger suspension bridge. Trail was pretty well marked. Even though the last .25 mile had some stairs, it was strenuous. Quite rocky but magnificent Vistas

Sun Nov 06 2016

Absolutely beautiful!!!!

Sat Mar 05 2016

Great trail! Had a hard time finding the trailhead by the road, not well marked. Hiked past mushroom rock and about 6 miles to get a good view of the Tennessee River then turned around.

Tue Jul 21 2015

My cousin and I took an overnight trip here and hiked from Signal Mountain past Edward Poin and Suck Creek and finished at the game reserve road parking past Poplar Springs Campsite. There are some beautiful views here but the hike is rigorous - definitely a lot of elevation change. If you want a 24-25 mile trip, add in Mullens Cove Loop, and Pot Point Loop which I believe is about 12 additional miles.

Mon Feb 02 2015

It is a beautiful stretch of the Cumberland Trail from Signal Point Military park to Prentice Cooper State Forest. Be advised that it will be more than a 5 hour trip. From Signal Point you descend into a gorge and climb back to plateautop and shortly reach Edward's Point. Follow the gorge rim until you reach mushroom rock then descend to a creek with a 225 ft. suspension bridge. Ascend again only to descend once more to the hwy. 27 road crossing. After crossing a VERY busy highway climb away from Suck Creek and out of the gorge. The view from Lawson's Rock is a good one. Continue on the ridge side and through the forest to reach the trailhead in Prentice Cooper. Whew.

Sun Nov 10 2013

First hike with my then to be husband. Easy to moderate. Recommend Indian Rockhouse, and Snoopers Rock, has incredible view of the Tennessee River. Great place to take pics, and have a picnic. A little used trail to the right of Snoopers, yeilds some nice little waterfalls. Also, if into history, take a side trip into Lusk cemetery, on the left going toward Snoopers Rock.

Sun Sep 15 2013

This part of the Cumberland Trail goes through the Prentice Cooper State Forest. Within the PC State Forest there are off-roading trails for ATV's and 4wd vehicles, however the actual Cumberland Trail does not allow any off road vehicle or mountain bike use. Foot travel only on the Cumberland Trail.

Sun Sep 08 2013

I did not find this an easy trail. There is a lot of elevation, but the views are stunning!

Wed Jul 10 2013

Some good views, relatively easy for regular hikers.

ohv/off road driving
Wed Apr 25 2012

whats the off roading like

Mon Jan 30 2012

Hiked from the Cumberland trail parking near the stone door to Snoopers Rock. Nice trail along the side of the mountain with great views of the gorge and plenty of springs tumbling off the mountain. Not very difficult at all and I was able to jog a lot of it with my dog without worrying about my footing too much. Will do again.