Shutes Branch Trail

Shutes Branch Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Old Hickory, Tennessee. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

whitewater kayaking

I hiked this for the first time yesterday. I was worried I would be dodging mountain bikes the whole time, but I only saw one. The highway noise was noticeable, but for me this is still 4 stars because I got to enjoy a nice trail very close to home. I'll definitely hike it again.

This is primarily a mountain bike trail converted from a campground. As a hiking trail it is a decent, moderate hike. It is a decent trail but not disconnected from road noise, which is very much why it was converted. I still thought it was a decent hike on a moderate trail to test gear and get some exercise.

It's great, very funny, I'm new to Tennessee and I'm going to frequent it on weekends.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Friday, September 16, 2016

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Close enough to nature to taste what I love and close enough to humans to hear what I don't love.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

It's fine but needs some cleaning up around the picnic tables.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

I hate how close it is to the highway. When I can hear cars driving by, that takes away from the whole point of being outside in nature.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Starts easy and progressively gets harder. Would definitely run again.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I went through almost all these trails a few times now. Honestly I am not in shape enough to do all of it at once. Which is why this is a great set up. It used to be a camping spot so there is a big ash fault loop that if you have a bike failure ( like my daughter had 2 days in a row) you can get the bike back easily ( which worked out great because I was about ready to die from not being in shape). you also have Sandersville road to the North for an escape route as well. (which we used as well). the trail is well marked and I met the person, who name is escaping me right now, who maintains the trail and we spoke for 30 minutes. He was tending to the well maintained and well marked trail. The trail has 4 sections. The trailhead (until the Advanced part) is easy to Moderate. My 11 yr old daughter never went on a trail and she did fine ( as I mentioned the bike broke but that was due to poor maintaince). minor elevation changes and hills. A few rocks and roots but overall easy. The Advanced (which is well marked at the start) can be bypassed easily by going a few feet into the trail and then taking the ash fault road back (once you see the small building). This is a technical trail that was a lot of fun for me. Again moderate elevation changes. it has a lot of rocks that are fun to fall on and crash into. A few trees jumped out onto the path and bit me ( no really they did) and a few downed trees are set up to go up and over. This advanced trail is not extreme. My 11 yr old did it and did fine. (although she had to walk a few spots and we by passed the really hard spots with the convenient by pass trail, again well marked). This trail is definitely made for people who bike on things other than green ways. I enjoyed it a lot. The next section on the side of a hill. It has a lot of elevation changes and there is a lot of tight turns as you go down hill and then up. I did not like this part as I am not as in shape as I want to be. If I was in shape this would be a good trail. Again well marked. I stopped here. I did not do the last part yet. As soon as I do I will update my review.

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Oh also........the whole trail is about 8.1 miles, not 3.4......