Machine Falls Loop Trail

Machine Falls Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tullahoma, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was exactly what we were looking for. The main loop to Machine Falls is about 1.5 miles but there are many other small loops and trails you can take if you choose. We chose to take all but one and ended up hiking about 4.5 miles total. I’m about 7 months pregnant and had no trouble at all anywhere along the trail. They were all fairly easy and well marked. Machine Falls was spectacular! There were also many smaller falls along our hike.

great trail to hike definitely worth doing all the loops off this trail

It was truly awesome. Went in the winter so did not get to enjoy wading. Such a great waterfall.

I would definitely recommend. I will say that the trail was pretty steep getting back out from the falls but it’s a pretty short section. Falls and creek were perfect for the kids to play in the water some. Parking lot is at the water tower and trailhead is across the street. We didn’t do Adams falls or Busby but look forward to coming back and doing that.

Easy trail. Low effort for high reward. It was very fun to play in the water at the end. Pretty heavily trafficked trail on a Sunday in the summer.

excellent trail and waterfall is awesome

loved the hike I got a little over 5 miles in today

Outstanding hike for multiple water features. Went with my 12 year old and we had a blast! The main Falls were breathtaking - but don’t stop there. Keep walking up the hill to Adams Falls, and when you loop around take the river upstream and there is another 60’ Falls about 300 yards upstream. Across the stream is also a curious cave.

Beautiful waterfall!! If you park in the parking lot, it’s the trail head straight across the road. Follow the white blazes and it’ll lead you down to the falls. Be sure to wear shoes that can get wet. If you want an added adventure, just before you get to the main falls, when you see the little bridge, turn left and explore the river.

Loved it. Such a pretty place

The reason I'm giving it five stars is because this was an amazing trail as far as day hikes go. It exceeded all of our expectations. We have been disappointed in the past many times due to over stated reviews and misleading pictures. This is not one of those places. The waterfalls are some of the best that we've seen in Tennessee and we've seen a lot. This is definitely an easy trail so don't expect strenuous hiking. This is more of a day walk but with amazing views. After you do this, set aside one hour and go to Rutledge Falls down the road. Google maps will take you right to it.

Fun easy trails that my 6 year old and I really enjoyed.

great little hike, various trails to choose from, check out Busby falls while you are there.

nice hike to a beautiful little falls in what's almost an amphitheater

Beautiful trail and well worth hiking down the steep hill and across the rocks for the waterfall !

Great hike. You’ll probably get a little wet near the falls with some rock hopping. Very pretty and safe.

Lovely hike. Go right at the trailhead so you end with the falls!

Really nice trail with a beautiful waterfall! You have to go thru creek to get to the falls which me and my sister was able to rock hop and we never got wet. We only did the Machine Falls Loop which was around 1 .5 miles.

Park at the water tower and walk across the road to this trail head.

Load up with bug spray as there were lots of mosquitoes, spiderwebs and other creepy crawlers.

One of the best waterfall hikes I’ve been to in Tennessee. The stairs going down to the waterfall are pretty steep but doesn’t take 10 minutes or so to get down there. You gotta pay attention to where your walking it’s a bit slick after a lot of rain.

Definitely wear waterproof shoes if you plan on walking right up to the falls otherwise prepare to side step and balance on the stones and rocks. Beautiful picture taking. You can go right up to the falls and feel the mist on your face. It’s incredible.

The path getting back up from the falls is steeper than the one going down. Narrow in places and you definitely have to watch where you’re going. Only a 10-15 minute climb back up and then the rest of the trail is pretty flat and shady.

There is an overlook on the way back but after having been down there it offered nothing exceptional. You can only see a glimpse of the falls because there’s so much overgrowth and the bluff is really small, only room for a couple of people. I’ll definitely skip it next time.

Lots of wildflowers and lots of colorful mushrooms were amazing after so much rain. First of October was a great time for this hike.

About 2.15 miles from start to finish.

Very enjoyable hike. Several short trails sprout off the main trail. Well maintained.

East to follow Trail with several spur trails to add to the hike.

Beautiful area and trail. Shorter trail at a little less than 2 miles. We made a day of it by starting at Rutledge Falls a few miles away then to Machine Falls. The hike is relatively easy. My parents are in their mid-60s and did just fine. There are some steep steps near the falls but no biggie. The falls is beautiful and has some of the clearest water I’ve seen here in Tennessee. Just beautiful. Look for the big water tower and the trailhead is across the street.

This was a mostly easy hike with some steps and steeper areas nearer the falls. To see the falls you have to either walk through the water or stone step your way to it. The pay off is worth it. I wish I had brought a towel and bathing suit. I do not recommend Adam's Falls Loop trail that goes off this trail. The falls were nonexistent and we walked through lots of spider webs.

This is a short hike with a great, refreshing reward at the end. Beautiful! We will hike this one again.

Nice hike with nice falls. We added busby falls to the loop just to play in the water more

We came with our four kids, ages 2, 4, 6, and 8. We decided to go counterclockwise which I think was the right move. We already got the payoff of seeing the falls before we had to climb up the stairs, so we had no choice. :) We had the youngest boy in an Ergo, but the older girls all handled the trail—and the stairs—just fine. The trail was clearly-marked, but it did help to have downloaded the map from AllTrails just to be sure we were on the right path.

The falls were incredible, some of the best we’ve seen around. We really loved that the pools are wade-able, and you don’t have to decide you want to go swimming in the cold to get close. Combine that with a really wide, really beautiful cascading waterfall, this one is near the top of our list.

Pretty easy hike. We took our 3 boys: 5, 6 years and a 5 month old in a baby carrier. The down slope wasn’t bad as long as you take it slow. We will definitely be back!

Hike in was easy until you start dropping down to the falls, it had rained day before so it was a little slick in spots, had to watch where you were stepping for sure. The rain had made the falls run really full, it was beautiful! Hike out was super easy!

Absolutely gorgeous waterfall, the hike wasn’t bad other than a bit slippery after the rain we’ve had. Looking forward to going back during the Fall & winter.

it was an overcast day just after a rain storm. the trail was not crowded and very easy for the family. the waterfall was specracular.