Shackleford Ridge State Park to Cumberland Trail

Shackleford Ridge State Park to Cumberland Trail is a 14.5 mile out and back trail located near Chattanooga, Tennessee that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail goes out to Indian Rockhouse and back. Begin at Shackleford Ridge State Park near Signal Mountain High School and make your way to Mushroom Rock. From Mushroom Rock pick up the white blazes of the Cumberland trail as the trail descends into Suck Creek Gorge. The trail crosses North and South Suck Creeks and Suck Creek Road before entering Prentice Cooper Wildlife Management Area. End at Indian Rockhouse and head back the direction you came from.

NOT A MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAIL. I carried my bike on my back for 6 miles because I kept thinking that “I’m sure it will become a bike trail ahead” NOPE

My son and I hiked this trail from Snoopers Rock to Rainbow lake. Camping at Poplar Springs on the way. Very good trail, well marked, beautiful forests with little undergrowth. Nice section of the Cumberland trail.