Sewanee Perimeter Trail

Sewanee Perimeter Trail is a 18 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sewanee, Tennessee that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1922 feet

Only did a section of this trail but it was awesome and I want to go back and enjoy the rest of trail.

Great trail with beautiful overlooks most of the way in winter and spring. wildflowers. waterfalls. creeks. lakes. rock formations. Plenty of side trails if you have time. Moderate trail overall for this area due to the length . It is fairly easy in some areas. Sewanee is a great place to hike and just be. The campus is beautiful. Trails well kept and marked.

For something rated as moderate, it sure was hard. My timing and course direction may have had something to do with it.

I started at the big cross. I then proceeded to go clockwise, which I was told might be backwards. Someone I hiked with told me about going the other way and how climbing up to the hole in the rock was difficult. I submit, for the record, that climbing down that rock, when it's really wet out, is much more of a PITA. Especially if it's your first time there. Going clockwise from the cross kind of just throws you in it. Face first. This first bit was difficult.

I took lunch at the cabin about 12 miles in. It kind of leveled off there for a while after that, then I hit Shakerag. By then I was in desperate need of a long break that I didn't take. I slowed down quite a bit here. Had to.

If I remember right, it was pretty smooth after Shakerag, level paths, bike trails etc. It took me a shade over 7:15 to go all the way around. Not bad for a first time, I guess.

To those that like to punish themselves, I'd recommend doing what I did. Though you may want to avoid wet days for crawling down out of that rock face. Can easily be done in a day if you watch your pace.

Really cool trail with varying terrain. The trail is dog friendly, so we started with our pup at memorial cross and headed west. There were huge boulders that we could navigate without our dog getting hurt, so we had to turn around and drive to Morgan’s Steep to bypass that section. Looking forward to coming back and completing the whole thing.

Having trouble finding the "Horror hole" past Armfield Bluff.

Easy trail, but interesting

Ysr

Nice hike with Scout Troop 489 in February 2017. Only hiked a portion of the Western Section but our 5 miler turned into ~10 since it was such a pretty day and we didn't do a great job of orienteering (we're better at it now). Basically went from Gate 4 on Breakfield Road, around to Armfield Bluff, King's Farm, Audobon Lake, Elliott Point and back to Gate 4. Enjoyed eating lunch at King's Farm. Even ran into (or she into me since she was the one running) a friend from high school. Great hike. Here's a link to a nice resource on the area: https://www.sewanee.edu/media/student-life/explore/Sewanees_Ten_Best_Day_Hikes.pdf

Saturday, May 20, 2017

I have completed this trail many times! Love the Sewanee trails-- they are always maintained very well. Kind of tricky in places during the winter due to exposed rocks that you have to trek over.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Pretty nice trail, and credit to the city for doing something like this. Drove out from Nashville for a day trip and well worth it. The upper 2/3 are real trails, while the bottom third appeared to be greenways, so we did the upper and cut across the beautiful Sewanee campus back to the car. The trail itself was well maintained and and minimally used past the entrances. I passed mostly bikers, and while I was hiking it with a dog, kept thinking that the lack of rocks and mild elevation would make this a trail runners dream. I personally could have used a little more elevation challenge, but the many creeks and beautiful views of both Middle TN farmland and East TN Smokey Mountains more than made up for it.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Excellent trail for running, especially on a long run day. The trail was lightly populated, I passed only 6-7groups on my entire run (most of these within a mile of the cross). A variety of terrains (gravel, dirt, sand, rocks, paved,etc) throughout the entire trail. Plenty of climbs, but also plenty of flat runnable sections. Lots of places to stop and take pictures on the bluff and at the cross. You do need to take everything you will need for a 20 mile hike/run, as the only place to really stop is in downtown(you will have to get off the trail to get into town). There is one section where a campsite is set up with an outhouse, if you are not too keen on using the restroom in the woods. I ran this in early March, so the views were spectacular! I will definitely be back!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This trail is great for day hikes but they are adamant about no camping. Vehicles left at trailhead over night are subject to being towed.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Moderate to difficult. Natural surface. Well marked. Take what you need for 20 mile run. No restrooms or place to refill water. One spot you have to rock climb.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Did the Western portion that clocked in around 9.5 miles, despite what Sewanee says (7.5). Started at Gate 5 off of Breakfield Rd and took the fire road to the perimeter trail, where we turned left. Followed that all the way around, passing Dotson Point, Armfield Bluff, Kings Road, and Audobon Lake. After the lake the trail splits with the Parallel Trail going left and Perimeter going right. Go left until you cross another fire lane. Taking it left for 0.8 miles gets you back to Breakfield Rd.

The hike is deceptively easy to start and, between Dotson Point and Armfield Bluff, gets much more interesting and much hillier. Never big climbs, but a few that take your breath for a moment

The canopy was so thick that you couldn't appreciate the views. This could be spectacular in Fall or Winter.

NOTE: obviously, watch for snakes. I stumbled up on a copperhead coiled about a foot off of the path (July 17).

Monday, May 23, 2016

I've only done parts of the trail. Yesterday I went up and hiked from the cross to morgans steep. I really enjoyed that part. Does anyone know how many miles that is?

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Parked at Morgan's Steep and took the perimeter trail around Elliot Point, then the parallel trail back around to Wiggin's Creek Trail , then back to Morgan's Steep for a total of about 6 miles. This section was mostly through the woods and fairly level, with a few exceptions. The parallel trail is an old roadbed but was still a nice walk. Google maps has a very detailed map of the whole trail system.

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Parked at the Memorial Cross and hiked to Bridal Veil Falls and back for a total of 4.5 miles. The trail mostly goes below the bluffs, but there are steps up to Morgan's Steep for a great view and a nice rest stop. There were several beautiful spots and interesting formations along the way. A few rocky spots to climb over but nothing too tough.

Monday, May 08, 2017