Sewanee Perimeter Trail

Sewanee Perimeter Trail is a 20 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sewanee, Tennessee that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1922 feet

Really cool trail with varying terrain. The trail is dog friendly, so we started with our pup at memorial cross and headed west. There were huge boulders that we could navigate without our dog getting hurt, so we had to turn around and drive to Morgan’s Steep to bypass that section. Looking forward to coming back and completing the whole thing.

Having trouble finding the "Horror hole" past Armfield Bluff.

Easy trail, but interesting

Ysr

Nice hike with Scout Troop 489 in February 2017. Only hiked a portion of the Western Section but our 5 miler turned into ~10 since it was such a pretty day and we didn't do a great job of orienteering (we're better at it now). Basically went from Gate 4 on Breakfield Road, around to Armfield Bluff, King's Farm, Audobon Lake, Elliott Point and back to Gate 4. Enjoyed eating lunch at King's Farm. Even ran into (or she into me since she was the one running) a friend from high school. Great hike. Here's a link to a nice resource on the area: https://www.sewanee.edu/media/student-life/explore/Sewanees_Ten_Best_Day_Hikes.pdf

I have completed this trail many times! Love the Sewanee trails-- they are always maintained very well. Kind of tricky in places during the winter due to exposed rocks that you have to trek over.

Pretty nice trail, and credit to the city for doing something like this. Drove out from Nashville for a day trip and well worth it. The upper 2/3 are real trails, while the bottom third appeared to be greenways, so we did the upper and cut across the beautiful Sewanee campus back to the car. The trail itself was well maintained and and minimally used past the entrances. I passed mostly bikers, and while I was hiking it with a dog, kept thinking that the lack of rocks and mild elevation would make this a trail runners dream. I personally could have used a little more elevation challenge, but the many creeks and beautiful views of both Middle TN farmland and East TN Smokey Mountains more than made up for it.

Excellent trail for running, especially on a long run day. The trail was lightly populated, I passed only 6-7groups on my entire run (most of these within a mile of the cross). A variety of terrains (gravel, dirt, sand, rocks, paved,etc) throughout the entire trail. Plenty of climbs, but also plenty of flat runnable sections. Lots of places to stop and take pictures on the bluff and at the cross. You do need to take everything you will need for a 20 mile hike/run, as the only place to really stop is in downtown(you will have to get off the trail to get into town). There is one section where a campsite is set up with an outhouse, if you are not too keen on using the restroom in the woods. I ran this in early March, so the views were spectacular! I will definitely be back!

This trail is great for day hikes but they are adamant about no camping. Vehicles left at trailhead over night are subject to being towed.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Moderate to difficult. Natural surface. Well marked. Take what you need for 20 mile run. No restrooms or place to refill water. One spot you have to rock climb.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Did the Western portion that clocked in around 9.5 miles, despite what Sewanee says (7.5). Started at Gate 5 off of Breakfield Rd and took the fire road to the perimeter trail, where we turned left. Followed that all the way around, passing Dotson Point, Armfield Bluff, Kings Road, and Audobon Lake. After the lake the trail splits with the Parallel Trail going left and Perimeter going right. Go left until you cross another fire lane. Taking it left for 0.8 miles gets you back to Breakfield Rd.

The hike is deceptively easy to start and, between Dotson Point and Armfield Bluff, gets much more interesting and much hillier. Never big climbs, but a few that take your breath for a moment

The canopy was so thick that you couldn't appreciate the views. This could be spectacular in Fall or Winter.

NOTE: obviously, watch for snakes. I stumbled up on a copperhead coiled about a foot off of the path (July 17).

Monday, July 11, 2016