Learn more

Saw Mill Campground via Stone Door, Big Creek Gulf, and Connector Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(33)
South Cumberland State Park

Saw Mill Campground via Stone Door, Big Creek Gulf, and Connector Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,676 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

I did this trail on August 31. Never got around to review it. Great trail. However I did this with a 6 year old and it was a little rough for him. Proud of my champ however not a father son type of trail. Views are nice. One thing to note, although the campsite is next to a river on map. It is in fact dry and we went about 3/4 away to a falls to get some water. Bridges are nice. Ensure your pack is not wide. Mine was so it was a little difficult going through the narrow bridges. Take only the essentials the slight incline were a little difficult.

I liked it. Not for kids or beginners to get down and up. Good bit of rocks to climb over. Well maintained and very clean!

We were headed to Sawmill camp but didn’t have enough water (started with 5 L!), and with the water sources completely dry we had to turn around - it was HUMID. Since we couldn’t be on the trail after dark we rerouted to Alum Gap camp (which was wonderful!). Enjoyed this hike and want to get back with ample supply of water.

Excellent trail but technical at times over rocks, etc. In the late fall the leaves are brutally slick, even in dry conditions. Almost lost a member of party on suspension bridge over Collins River - a jumbo harmonic frequency nearly pitched him over handrails. Would have been a nasty fall to dry and rocky river bed. Watch your stride. Sawmill a favorite. Plenty of space and quiet. Water a bit of a hike to marked springs. Easy to miss spur trail up the hill. Very interesting fetch and an excellent source. A regular overnight destination especially fall and winter.

Awesome Bridges and beautiful views. We hiked the south rim trails first and camped at Sawmill. Rivers were dry and we had to get our water from some nasty puddles near the campground (thank God for lifestraw).

great trail system with plenty of awesome views and features.

Thu Jul 12 2018

High temps, rain and humidity worked against us for most of three days. Plenty of Boulder fields making cautious steps and slowing the pace. Ticks were abundant and bridges extremely slick. Most of sawmill campsites were puddles choose wisely. Access to water was adequate

Fri Feb 24 2006

This is a great hiking trail, but it is difficult. I started at the Stone Door, 1.9 miles from the beginning of the Connector Trail. The descent to the trailhead is the toughest part of the trail, but I did not go all the way to the end as I was day hiking. I made it to the Sawmill campsite and then turned back. My GPS indicated 11 miles total. Going to Hobbs Cabin would be about 17 miles round trip. I took a nap at the Cator Cabin. Sweet Spot. Saw nobody except at Stone Door. Enjoyed the river crossings over the bridges. Trail is in good shape and is well marked.

recorded Recording - Oct 23, 1:36 PM