Savage Gulf Mountain Oak Loop Trail

Savage Gulf Mountain Oak Loop Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Barkertown, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is made up of hard packed dirt, loose leaf litter, some rock outcropping, pine needles and surface roots. I can see why this trail has a moderate rating because of the slight grades on the trail along with some rock outcropping and roots. Overall the trail was great and well maintained. My wife and I took to the trail late in the day and the last 3 miles was a race with sun down. We made back to the trail head and about 20 minutes later it was dark. Next time we will bring head lamps.
We really enjoyed the trail.

Stunning views early on! The hike down was steep but beautiful. The creek bed was dry and the mosquitos/flies were out in full force. Lots of navigating on rocks and boulders. We saw a rattle snake near the end of the trail close to the cliffs. I'd love to go back when the leaves change and the creek is full of water!

Would do the 4 mile again gorgeous!!!

Fabulous water falls and other water features ,great hike easy and cleared trails but definitely don't take the south rim to the end without food and water ...it's 7 miles in from the water falls and it's not a loop -:(...learned the hard way.. just like the chick said check with Ranger or grab a map..ENJOY!!

Definitely check with the park ranger before you begin because we learned the loop is only 3-4miles and then the north rim trail is where you can turn off to add 6+ more miles to your route depending on how long of a hike you'd like it to be. Overall a great hike, well cleared trails, very mild inclines.

Amazing views. Absolutely breathtaking view of the river and the falls. There are 3 sketchy bridges that are really cool to walk on (totally safe but just rope bridges kinda freak me out). I would recommend taking the scenic side first, I believe it's the left side of the trail. I would recommend taking that first so you can focus on hiking back after the views. It also helps to pace yourself and stop to take a breather at the overlooks.

Since you stay up on the ridge this is a great Trail run with wonderful views. Just don't expect any really big tree on the side loop. lol

Tuesday, October 18, 2016