Savage Day Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palmer, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love this area! This trail is perfect for those who haven't hiked in a while. Waterfalls, views, swinging bridges. Apparently there was a tornado in early November and the trail suffered a lot of damage. It's clear now but one should use caution. There are broken branches and whole trees leaning and hanging overhead. We heard a loud crack and watched a large limb come crashing down right in front of us. They've also had rain which has left some parts of the trail submerged. Not too deep but plan on getting wet feet. The rain has also increased the flow at the falls, it's pretty spectacular. Right below the falls is a good place to take a break, we stopped for lunch and enjoyed the view. Rattlesnake Point is breathtaking. Talk about a vista! I expect in the spring and summer it comes by it's name honestly. I'm looking forward to exploring other parts of Savage Gulf State Natural Area.

this is the fourth time I've been to this trail. usually it's great but today the trail was closed due to dangerous conditions and fallen trees from a recent storm. We hiked anyway but encountered many obstacles that forced us off the main trail. We never made it to the falls due to impassable piles of large fallen timber, brush and branches. Heed the warning signs until they finally get the trail cleaned up and cleared again.

Very nice hike - fairly easy - just the distance. Waterfall is beautiful as is the overlook. Great walk for someone like me trying to get into shape and get some outdoor time. Was fun!

Great hike! Very beautiful and very well maintained trails. I went as soon as finished raining, so the trails were slick and muddy. Just be careful! To get the best bang for your trip, when you get to the part in the trail where it splits for the loop, go right first. You'll get a few overlooks, and by the time your turning to go back to the ranger station, there's the spur to go over to the waterfall - it's a great place to relax. If you have a hammock, there's a perfect area of trees and no brush at the base of the falls to set up. Then it's just over a mile hike back to the parking lot.

The falls are beautiful! Definitely a must see. The woods on the outer part of the loop are nice. Very easy relaxed hike.

Interesting trail to hike. Has 2 rope bridges which are fun. also a mossy waterfall. also the main waterfall which is pretty has 2 shoot offs the ridge. Saw a copperhead snake. well marked path. It was shady. also lead to rattlesnake point which is a great overlook.

This is a rather beautiful hike with some falls just off the trail and a well maintained path. The campgrounds are nice, and I have stayed overnight here as well. I will say that some of the views were mediocre, and I would not recommend this for children, but for the most part I would definitely put this on your must-see list.

Sharon Mugno and I did 6.5 miles in 2.5 hours and loved every minute of it. The trail was easy and beautiful. The trail was well maintained. We stayed on the South Rim. The canyon views and the rapids/falls were the highlight! Highly recommend this trail.

Great easy hike. Next to no elevation but beautiful views!

love this place. trail to falls is easy. very well marked.

Good easy loop with nice detour to falls. I did the loop twice because it was easy and quite.

Such a wonderful place. I went with my 7 year old. It was a very easy peaceful walk, with a huge payoff.

I loved this trail the waterfall was amazing

Great, easy trip mixed with backpacking and dayhiking. Classic trail that can’t be missed.

beautiful trail, well maintained, Rangers were very friendly. We planned to hike the loop but we're caught up admiring the falls , looking forward to returning to finish the trail

We came into the park from 399. The ranger at the ranger station was very polite and friendly to our kids. We hiked to the falls and back out. About 3 miles round trip. There were other people hiking some with dogs but everyone was friendly. Trail was clearly defined and had markers every 50 ft or so. We plan to go back and hike further.

Beautiful waterfall and very nice ranger at the trailhead. Very easy hike for kids and pets!

Hiked this a few days ago it was beautiful. The waterfalls were peaceful. Rattlesnake Point was incredible, I’ll never forget that view. The beginning of the hike is a bit slow but well worth it.

You couldn't have asked for a better day for a hike, mid 60s, sunny, and a gentle breeze. The trails were well marked. Bathrooms were clean and everything worked fine. Waterfall was beautiful.

Easy hike with a well maintained trail and some pretty neat suspension bridges that my nine year old loved. Falls was great. Also must say that the ranger station by the parking lot had very clean and well maintained bathrooms which I rarely ever find at parks.

Easy hike with neat brides to get you over the water flow. The waterfall is breathtaking!

Well marked and well maintained trail. Friendly, helpful ranger and restroom at the trailhead. Many great options in this park.

whole park is great!!

Thursday, November 09, 2017

A nice, easy hike with an overlook and a beautiful waterfall. Clean, well maintained trail. It had recently rained when i went, so the falls were quite impressive.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

nice easy hike for the family

Monday, October 02, 2017

This is a nice, kid friendly trail with a waterfall that’s relatively safe for kids to explore. The trail is pretty easy and well maintained but there are few roots and rocks in places. The main attraction is the waterfall and a bluff over-look area. My 6-year old enjoyed the trail and handled the terrain just fine. As for the 2-Star ‘hiking snob’ review, I have to partially agree: There isn’t breathtaking scenery to keep you entertained the full length of the trail. If that’s what you are looking for, a scenic highway or National Geographic magazine would be a better fit for you than a State Park. If you enjoy hiking for the sake of hiking, this is great trail and not a long hike for the scenery it provides - especially for TN.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Saturday, September 09, 2017

I'll be the first to admit I'm kind of a hiking snob. Personally, I just didn't find the trail very scenic. You can see the 2 pretty spots in the pictures on these pages but my experience was that most the trail was relatively uninteresting through a tunnel of trees.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Trail was clear and well marked.

Thursday, July 06, 2017