User could not be found.

Savage Day Loop

Savage Day Loop is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Palmer, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail and always one of our favs! 9/20 and there is ZERO water in this area. it was still a great trek and camped at the falls, but bring water. Also note, the trail is very well maintained and marked, but there a LOT of blow-down along the route making for some poor scenery. The trails have been cleared, but the view is not great for a lot of the route. Also watch for widow makers...there are a bunch of them!

This is one of our favorite trails. Unfortunately, it’s been so dry that there were no falls! Next time!

My 13 year old daughter and I hiked this trail with a Ranger and another lady. It was from the Savage Gulf Ranger Station to Rattlesnake Point. We got to Rattlesnake Point at dusk and the view was amazing. Since it was a night hike (disclaimer: unless it is a sponsored hike through TN STATE PARKS you can’t hike at night) we went back out the same way we came in. There was several places with numerous trees down from an EF2 tornado last year. The trail was very well maintained nonetheless. There is one particular place on the trail where you can see the path of the tornado. There have also been several wind events that have contributed to the downed trees. On the way out we could here the coyotes howling. However they will not interact with humans so this is not something you would need to worry about if you are planning this hike. Also, if you bring your dog, it must be on a leash. Someone got bitten recently and the Ranger may write you a ticket.

Fun but really easy

9/16/19 a very hot day! The hike was ok and most of the downed trees have been cut off the trail after the scenic view the bugs came out in force! Will have to try during another season.

Nice well maintained trail. Overlook of the falls is nice. Half way point beautiful view of the gulf. Otherwise not very scenic nice Forrest a lot of wind damage.

Nice and easy trail. Waterfall is better during other seasons. Lots of trees down over the trail.

recorded Savage Day Loop

Hiked to savage falls campsite. Hung out at the falls the next day. Didn’t hike the 9 mile trail.

closed

So many down trees so most of the hike is trees cut in half. You can’t hike the full loop at the campgrounds because the trail is closed... and for good reason.

By far my favorite trail. It’s not the hardest trail you’ll ever go on, but it’s super relaxing and quiet. You’ll pass people while you hike, but you’ll never be constantly surrounded by them. It does get muddy after rain, but it’s still not a hard hike - just watch your step. The pool at the base of the falls is a great place to swim and cool off after doing the loop before you head back to parking area. I’ve done this trail many times and recommend it to anyone.

Nice hike in the woods with very nice view of the canyon. We enjoyed it and will do it again.

As of 5/16/19 Savage Day Loop is completely cleared. The loop by the campground is NOT. I was not able to make my way around the obstruction which is approximately .1 or .2 miles from the connection. Thanks to the Park Service employees for their efforts to clear the trail.

Easy trail. Beautiful scenery. Winter was definitely hard on it but the trail is clear. Hundreds of trees down but cut and moved off the trail. I will do it again and add some tome to do the rim trails.

Nice trail we went after a rain so it was a little muddy. We took the savage Gulf day loop but when we came to sign to go to the savage falls we went that way. Savage falls is very pretty nice place to swim in summer. Lots of big rocks. We left the falls and went to the left which took us to savage falls overlook.. not far to it but after seeing it close up didn’t really see the point . There was lots of trees down but not on the path anymore. I enjoyed this trail it was easy just make sure to watch your footing with tree roots etc.

Really enjoyed this trail late afternoon on Easter. Waterfall and river were beautiful. Nice flat trail that I could do with my wife and parents. Many trees were down because of wind or tornadoes or supersaturated soil or all 3. It took away from the beauty of the forest. Still worth the hike. We started so late that our last mile was in the dark.

Such a beautiful day to hike this trail. As per the previous reviews there are quite a few downed trees, but they have been cleared away. The falls were so beautiful today. The trail is very well marked. My dog was slightly hesitant to cross one of the bridges, but finally made it!

It's open now, and the full loop is very interesting after all of the storm damage! There are a few areas where you have to watch your head, and a couple of trees that look like they can come down at any moment. I would recommend this not only for the beautiful hike, but also as an awe inspiring reminder of what mother nature can produce. It was a great way to spend the morning!

Trail was covered by storm debris. One section of this loop cannot be completed because it has not been cleared (over second suspension bridge). You can go to the falls then must back track. Otherwise it was a beautiful day and nice trail.

Great trail... it has some woods and some beautiful views! Quite a bit of damage from a recent tornado!!

Mon Dec 03 2018

I love this area! This trail is perfect for those who haven't hiked in a while. Waterfalls, views, swinging bridges. Apparently there was a tornado in early November and the trail suffered a lot of damage. It's clear now but one should use caution. There are broken branches and whole trees leaning and hanging overhead. We heard a loud crack and watched a large limb come crashing down right in front of us. They've also had rain which has left some parts of the trail submerged. Not too deep but plan on getting wet feet. The rain has also increased the flow at the falls, it's pretty spectacular. Right below the falls is a good place to take a break, we stopped for lunch and enjoyed the view. Rattlesnake Point is breathtaking. Talk about a vista! I expect in the spring and summer it comes by it's name honestly. I'm looking forward to exploring other parts of Savage Gulf State Natural Area.

Wed Nov 14 2018

this is the fourth time I've been to this trail. usually it's great but today the trail was closed due to dangerous conditions and fallen trees from a recent storm. We hiked anyway but encountered many obstacles that forced us off the main trail. We never made it to the falls due to impassable piles of large fallen timber, brush and branches. Heed the warning signs until they finally get the trail cleaned up and cleared again.

Mon Nov 05 2018

Very nice hike - fairly easy - just the distance. Waterfall is beautiful as is the overlook. Great walk for someone like me trying to get into shape and get some outdoor time. Was fun!

Sun Oct 21 2018

Great hike! Very beautiful and very well maintained trails. I went as soon as finished raining, so the trails were slick and muddy. Just be careful! To get the best bang for your trip, when you get to the part in the trail where it splits for the loop, go right first. You'll get a few overlooks, and by the time your turning to go back to the ranger station, there's the spur to go over to the waterfall - it's a great place to relax. If you have a hammock, there's a perfect area of trees and no brush at the base of the falls to set up. Then it's just over a mile hike back to the parking lot.

Sun Oct 14 2018

The falls are beautiful! Definitely a must see. The woods on the outer part of the loop are nice. Very easy relaxed hike.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Interesting trail to hike. Has 2 rope bridges which are fun. also a mossy waterfall. also the main waterfall which is pretty has 2 shoot offs the ridge. Saw a copperhead snake. well marked path. It was shady. also lead to rattlesnake point which is a great overlook.

Sat Jul 28 2018

This is a rather beautiful hike with some falls just off the trail and a well maintained path. The campgrounds are nice, and I have stayed overnight here as well. I will say that some of the views were mediocre, and I would not recommend this for children, but for the most part I would definitely put this on your must-see list.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Sharon Mugno and I did 6.5 miles in 2.5 hours and loved every minute of it. The trail was easy and beautiful. The trail was well maintained. We stayed on the South Rim. The canyon views and the rapids/falls were the highlight! Highly recommend this trail.