Learn more

Rock Creek Falls is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reliance, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.3 mi Elevation gain 393 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (4)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

This route follows the Scenic Spur Trail to the Rock Creek Falls. These falls go by several names including: Rock Creek Falls, Rainbow Falls, Rattlesnake Falls, and Falls of the Scenic Spur. Either way, they're beautiful and absolutely worth the hike! Beware this trail can be muddy and overgrown in some sections. There are a couple creek crossings along the way so come prepared! There are many more trails in this area if you wish to extend your trip. This trail is a part of the Chilhowee Trail System.

Parking for 8-10 vehicles; no restroom facilities. Good signage and trail markings.

Tim Hall: Joycaster@gmail.com http://www.mymaps.com/tnfalls/Cherokee/rainbow.html

Depart U.S. 64 upon State Route 30. Take an almost immediate left into the trailhead parking area. Embark upon Clement Trail #302/Scenic Spur Trail #78, with a sign stating it is 1.7 miles to "waterfalls". After 0.1 mile, bear right upon #78. In 0.6 miles more, Clemmer Spur Trail #86 is intersected. Stay straight on #78. After another 0.6 miles, rockhop Rock Creek. Go 0.3 miles more and make a second stream crossing. The descents are at trail's end in 0.1 mile. (http://www.mymaps.com/tnfalls/Cherokee/rainbow.html)

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (292)
Photos (211)
Recordings (187)
Completed (450)
Gail Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 08 2020
Hiking

Great trail! Water shoes are a must, 2 water crossing. Hiked with our two dogs plenty of places for dogs to cool off ,not many people. Waterfall was beautiful just on down tree on trail. Highly recommend this trail!

Mark Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
Blowdown

Nice trail

Nathan Vann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

This trail was PERFECT for my daughter’s first “moderate” trail. Not really a technical trail until you get to the falls. Two easy creek crossings that are great for a quick break/photo-op. We went early in the day and the weather was fantastic. You could easily make this a half day. Mosquitoes abound, and I was stung by a yellow jacket.

Amber Bigelow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

What an amazing adventure! We had 2 dogs and 2 kids hiking with us and started off in the rain. That kept the bugs away at least! We were the only ones on the trail. The first creek isn’t marked accurately on all trails. It’s a bit further down. You can cross with dry feet if you trek over the rocks carefully. If you slip, it’s only ankle deep. 2 out of the 4 of us walked the rest of the way in wet shoes. We (especially the kids) loved the excitement of it all. The woods get thick and we believe we heard a few warning rumbles of a bear but overall it was serene and quite easy to navigate. The path was well groomed. Roots and rocks visible but not dangerous. The falls were worth it! Would definitely recommend it to the adventurous ones out there.

Autumn Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 18 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The hike is moderate and the trail is rugged with tree roots and rocks. Beautiful views. I would recommend wearing water shoes because you have to cross over a creek.

Heather S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 16 2020
MuddyRockyWashed out

Did not enjoy this hike at all. This trail should be rated moderate. Not worth the aggravation of crossing creak twice.

Jeremy Applebaum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
Hiking

Absolutely loved this trail. Constant, gradual incline on the way in makes it seem flatter than it is. The waterfall at the end was great! Took a swim to cool off when I got there. Two easy creek crossings, but it was pretty easy to rock hop and keep dry.

Sara Henshaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingRocky

Great trail, we love bringing our dog here. It’s heavily wooded so you get a ton of shade and when you get closer to the first water crossing it starts to cool down from water. There another water crossing after the first, then it’s straight up to the falls. Be prepared and bring your water shoes.

April Debity
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

This is a very nice trail with beautiful waterfalls at the end! I would rate this trail as moderate due to the two creek crossings. My 66 year old mother had a little trouble, but she made it across both of them. Water shoes are highly recommended! Also, the section of the trail going up to the falls is a little steep and rocky, but not too difficult. I will hike this trail again, but I'm not sure my mother will!

Tony Owen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
Hiking

Went today and it was a little busy. Saw about 30 people on the trail and 6 dogs. 3 dogs that tried to eat us. Why anyone would bring aggressive dogs on a trail is beyond me. Anyway the trail was wonderful. It was a little boring at first but once we got to water it was amazing. The waterfalls are worth the hike and especially the climb to see the big falls. If you go expect to get your feet wet but it's well worth it.

Eddie Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020

Rock Creek falls / Rainbow falls, is a nice trail. with a beautiful waterfalls. I started hiking at 7:30 am. only saw 2 people on the trail, on the way out. the trail has 2 creek crossings. I managed to cross the the creek both times, with the help of my tracking poles, without getting my feet wet.

David Barton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingMuddyRockyWashed out

You’ll need to cross the stream twice on the trail. Other than that it’s a lovey trail.

View David's Recording
John Eric Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 17 2020
Hiking

I like these falls. When you get the the main falls scramble up the hill and get above the falls and there is another falls

Barry Cole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Really wish AllTrails would correct the name of the waterfall. It is documented as Rock Creek Falls. It has several AKA’s, rainbow and rattlesnake are two that come to mind.

chris mcganity
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 11 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Beautiful falls at the end after two river crossings. Well worth the time.

Keegan Richard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail with gorgeous waterfall at the end. So many different plants species along the way. You do have to cross two creeks - and you may get your feet wet, but it’s worth it!

View Keegan's Recording
Mark Stachowicz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 04 2020

Fun little 3.2 mile trail out and back. Not very steep and had 2 creek crossings which were fairly shallow to walk through. The waterfall at the end of the trail is the holy grail. Most of the trail runs along the rolling creek and which bbn offers a nice scenic hike. Will definitely do this one again.

D Down
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 21 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble

Not far after we reached the river, I could not figure out the trail. I thought maybe we were supposed to go in the river once we reached all the rocks. I read the trail is obvious, but I couldn't figure it out even using the downloaded map along with my recording.

View D's Recording
Carole Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 21 2020
BugsMuddy

loved it we weren't prepared for the river crossings (2 and no bridges to cross ) but we had a blast we took the kids and our dogs. It's not the cleanest of places because people left trash and poop, also the poison ivy / oak is every where but the Hike was pretty easy for the most part my 4 year old walked it with little problem. we didn't do the rocky path to the top as I carried my 1 year old in a carrier. my husband did while we waited he said is very steep climb up and a very steep climb down to the top part of the waterfall.