Rich Mountain Loop Trail

Rich Mountain Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

2076 feet

old growth

Rich Mountain Loop Trail is a great way to enjoy Cades Cove without the crowds. The trail starts at the beginning of the Loop Road, skirts the edge of some fields before reaching the John Oliver Cabin. It then climbs toward the crest of Rich Mountain then continues on to Indian Grave Gap Trail and Crooked Arm Ridge Trail. Its a good place to see deer and the occasional black bear.

Good tough clime but a very enjoyable hike.

Poor view and too much poop. The actual hike is pretty but not worth the trouble.

We hiked the trail on a counterclockwise loop. We saw deer, ground squirrel, gray squirrel. We also heard turkey and owl and saw evidence of bear and raccoon. The hike is amazing. It is only moderate in difficulty and the views of Townsend and Cades Cove are fantastic.

Beautiful colors, very dry, such a nice hike across the ridge, not many hikers

**Facilities are at the Cades Cove Campgrounds**

Hiked October 27, 2016
I absolutely loved this hike. This loop is totally underrated. I choose to trek it clockwise....I didn't feel like taking on Crooked Arm Ridge, up hill.
You will pass by John Oliver's cabin, built in 1818, which is a treat to have a little structural history thrown in to the hike. As much as I REALLY wanted to see a bear (I mean, it IS Cades Cove, and they are everywhere)...much to my dismay, I did not. Tons of squirrels, but zero bears.
Up on Indian Grave Gap, you will see an unmarked trail heading to your left (if you're hiking clockwise)...this will take you up to the spot where three cement blocks are all that remains of the old Rich Mountain fire tower. Keep an eye out to your left, on this little trail, and you will see a cistern, all that's left of a cabin that sat in that area used by the fire tower watchmen.
The fall colors are popping....and it's a gorgeous trail to view them with.

Great fall hike with views of Cades Cove to the south

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Not my favorite trail: the views in spring are few and far between, and after all the hype around the wildflowers I was disappointed at how few there were on the trail (keep in mind it's been unseasonably cool this month, and the flowers that were there were amazing).

Still this was a strenuous but nice hike. Wanna see the old fire tower next time (was too tired to go the short-but-steep trail to it), but Oliver Cabin is pretty cool. Plus there was so much wildlife out: saw 3 deer grazing on the trail itself, and a turkey adjacent to the trailhead. Plus found a baby black bear as I was leaving. Overall might not be something I hike often, but I will do it again

Saturday, April 09, 2016