Red Fork Falls Trail

Red Fork Falls Trail is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Unicoi, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Definitely more of a climb than hike but well worth the effort if you love waterfalls and be sure and go all the way to the bottom

More of a climb than a hike. Could be very dangerous in wet conditions.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR DOGS! I know other reviews and even the description says this, but seriously, don't take your dogs, unless they are well trained and don't need a leash, and even then, it may be a challenge. There will be times on this trail that you will be on your butt going down or on all fours coming up. I chose not to read and/or listen to this advice and my wife had to turn around and the take the dogs out as they couldn't make it and were pulling us down the slope.

All in all it's a great, short hike. Probably a half a mile in to get to the Falls. Even in dry conditions the ground can be slippery so be careful. Great main waterfall and some beautiful smaller ones around as well to see on the way.

Please take note that this trail can be tricky to locate. After you turn onto Red Fork Rd., it is roughly 1.1 miles. Look for a wide spot on the right side of the road. (if you come to a gravel road, you have gone way too far) When you see the wide spot, look for a faded red dot that is painted on a tree. Just down from that red dot is a trail that is supposed to be for an ATV. This is where you need to be. You will cross a creek 2 times on your way to the falls. On the way, you will be treated to several small little water falls that is very pretty. Once you arrive to the Red Fork Falls, you will arrive at the TOP of the waterfall. Although it is a tricky climb down, it is so very worth it to take in the view of this waterfall. It is so pretty! Be very careful...it is rocky, full of tree roots, and wet and slick. Keep a firm grip on trees that are growing close on the trail - you'll need them to pull yourself up and just to keep a steady hand. I would definitely do this trail again. I highly recommend it. In my group we were all women, our ages ranged from 21, 41, and 62 and we all did just fine. All of us managed to fall at least once and wore some mud as badges of honor. Definitely wear waterproof hiking boots. I personally would not recommend children or dogs on this trail because of the slippery rocks and tree roots that makes tripping so easy to do. The 300 ft waterfall is indeed spectacular. I'll be doing this one again.

great short hike. Alot of climbing with 5 falls with pools to swim in. Look for the red Dot on the the tree and a pull off area on the right coming from 107. Cross the first creek and a little way down look for a creek to the right and cross it. There are actually rocks on the ground spelling out falls with an arrow but everyone seems to miss it

Trailhead isn't clearly marked nor is the trail itself but you can somewhat make out the trail but it is overgrown. Not very heavily hiked, as I have been three times and have not encountered a single person. So it's nice to let my dog off his leash, but definitely put the leash back on around the waterfall as it is very slick and steep.

Beautiful hike. Trail is not marked clearly. Cell service was bad and that's why I recommend downloading the map or printing it out. Don't forget your hiking poles. Two creeks to cross.

Slick rock scramble but great view.

great short trail with some climbing and beautiful views

Fairly short hike! The directions take you right up to the trail head, look for a tree with a reddish circle on it. Park there and walk down the trail and cross the creek. Immediately go right then cross a second creek. A couple trees were marked with pink string. Continue right and there's some pretty intense climbing down to the bottom of the falls but it's worth it!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Well it was a good hike I like to fail I do have a bad ankle but it was fun someone told me it was an easy hike just keep in mind that it's not but have fun

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Well worth the short, but tricky hike to the bottom of the falls. My hubby and our two boys 8/10 made it, but it was slippery. Make sure you pick your lines carefully and stay left on most of the trail.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Short but difficult and potentially dangerous hike. Not well marked but easy enough to follow. The previous reviews about it being a bit of a scramble are accurate. There are several places where losing your footing/balance could result in serious injury, but as long as you take your time you should be find. The trail is much easier to find if you come in from the 107 side of Unaka Mountain Road. I don't recommend you go alone because there is no cell service, so if you get hurt, you can't call for help.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

me and my 6 year old daughter hiked down to the falls it was a little tricky for her but all in all a great time

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Great hike. Short but tedious hike with some inclines and descents. Well worth it.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Very beautiful fall, trail can be a little slippery and steep at times. Worth the time to check out, though.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Short but beautiful falls!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Beautiful but don't go if it's rained recently. It will make it 10x harder on you.

Monday, April 14, 2014

This out and back hike was fairly short and the hardest part is finding the trail head. The All Trails app stopped working because there was literally no cell phone reception at all for voice or data so you may want to take somebody with you and let others know where you have gone. Once you park the car you see the trail heading downward immediately and you will go straight to a creek. After you cross the creek you will be on an island of sorts. Keep going until you see another creek and find a place to cross it. After you cross it the trail will be to the right. It is a very short distance down to the falls but you will find yourself needing to hold on to roots, rocks and tree limbs on the way down and up. The water fall is very beautiful. I stopped several places to take pictures on the side of the waterfall on the way down. although its strenuous on the way up its only less than a mile so not too bad. As an alternative route I did see folks who never crossed either creek and went down to the falls from the side of the creek where I was parked but I did not check out the trail to see how good it was.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

This is a very short and difficult trail because of the climb down to see the falls. It is also a five for me because of the waterfall which is worth the effort to see. I plan on going back when it is not as icy to try and climb down to the very bottom to see all of the falls and cascades.