Rattlesnake Ridge Trail

Rattlesnake Ridge Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Unicoi, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

This is a nice trail in a pretty setting in Unicoi TN. You park at Rock Creek Park and there is a $2.00 charge.

Fairly steep climb most of the way. Compared to other trails on this site I've hiked classified as "Hard", I think this hike is more than "Modetate". I enjoyed the challenge and solitude this trailed offered.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

The directions at the top of this page say turn left on Hwy 107, but you actually turn right and then Rock Creek Road is on the left. This is a good hike, but very rocky and uphill most of the time. It seemed longer than 1.5 miles, probably because of the steepness, but my Fitbit measured it at 3.1 round trip. I would like to do this hike in the fall when it would be cooler and not as humid. Good, moderate hike.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Monday, July 04, 2016

It was fairly strenuous, solid up hill climb. Great for a nice workout for my 40's age body. However, if you are older and/or have any medical issues just be careful because it's a long uphill hike. Nothing exceedingly treacherous or dangerous though. We did the hike in the heat of the day in July. Decent amount of canopy helped a lot, But still hot and tiresome at points. For some reason there are 2 Rattlesnake ridge trails listed? We went expecting to see a waterfall. We were disappointed to discover there was NO waterfall after all our efforts. We located an overlook at the end of the trail with a nice view, however, no waterfall? The waterfall hike is apparently on a different trail. Rock Creek Fall Trial has the waterfall.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I got more than 3.6 miles out of my gps as well as another hiker I met at the top. I registered 4.6 and they were around the same.

This trail is demanding and keeps an elevation gain all the way to the top. For a second you loop into Dark Hallow trail and then continue on up. It isn't until the end that you see that you come to a parking lot but the demanding hike is worth it. I would suggest a nice cool day for this trail. I did it on July 2nd in the morning and it got a little too hot for me and my pup Banjo.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Great

Saturday, May 07, 2016

This is a beautiful waterfall that I keep returning to. Easy to moderate hike

Monday, April 04, 2016

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Pay $2 at the front but drive back to the building at the front of the campgrounds and park there. Trailhead is on the left just past the building. There are three trails, Rock Creek Falls, Rattlesnake Ridge, and a bike trail. Hike is mostly uphill but makes for a quick return trip. We were a little confused after the lower falls. We came to an opening and there were a few trees down and the trail wasn't as visible with the leaves down. Keep hiking up. The trail ends at the bottom of the upper falls. Really enjoyed this one!

Friday, October 23, 2015

Loved this hike. Was wet and water was high from more than a week of rain, but still doable. Probably not best for little kids or pets after a rain.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

The trail was exceeding. What a wonderful day! The temperature under the canopy was comfortable. Very mature forest. Few creek crossings yet easy to pass. Uphill 3/4 of the hike in but passes quickly on the out hike. First trip and would do it again. I will wait for higher amount of rainfall to trek this again for a bigger waterfall.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Monday, July 27, 2015

I hiked both Rock Creek Falls and Rattlesnake Ridge Trails on Saturday. Rattlesnake Ridge is an uphill climb to an awesome lookout. It also lived up to its name as I had to coax a timber rattler off the trail to keep on hiking up the mountain. You will walk into the designated wilderness area on this trail. This would be a better hike in fall or spring when its less overgrown. In fact, it was barely noticeable as a trail from the parking lot at Pleasant Gardens or Unaka Mountain Overlook, whichever you prefer to call it. The good news is its all down hill on the way back to the car.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Did this hike yesterday. Definitely worth the hike to the falls. It is uphill most of the way, but just stop and take a breather and you'll be fine. No need to hurry. The views all the way up are breathtaking and you hear the constant sound of the stream the entire way. Super relaxing hike. Creek was easy to cross in most places, just be careful of the slick rocks. The hike back seemed to only take a couple minutes. Very low traffic, only came upon 2-3 other groups the entire time. This trail is a hidden treasure of this area.

Sunday, April 05, 2015