New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Ramsey Cascades Trail

Ramsey Cascades Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,224 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a great hike with lots of good scenery. The trail is an out-and-back type trail with the route to Ramsey Cascades all up hill. It's a gradual climb that only gets remotely steep the last mile or so approaching the Cascades. The first 1.5 miles follow an abandoned logging route. The trail then becomes a typical Smokey Mountain hiking trail that is only wide enough for one person. The last mile or so becomes more steep and is also very rocky. Caution should be taken especially on the way back down. Once reaching the Cascades, you will want to cross over the shallow pool at the bottom to reach a rock ledge on the other side to get in position for some good pictures of the Cascades.

Great trail I did it 1/22/20, I was in a little bit of a hurry so I went up in two hours and came down in two hours – beautiful scenery lots of snow lots of ice at the top, difficult but really really pretty.

The last mile feels longer than the first three. It was in the 40s-50s at the bottom the day we went last week, but was covered in snow and ice at the top, so be prepared for all temps. We were the second ones in the parking lot around 9:30am, enjoyed the falls to ourselves with some lunch, then saw maybe 10 people on our way back down. Definitely recommend this trail, and entire national park, in the off season.

A beautiful hike in the woods. After crossing the foot bridge the trail starts an uphill climb. We went in October when the leaves were falling and a bit hard at times to tell where the trail was actually located. Long hike but well worth it when you reach the Cascades

OUTSTANDING!!! Will definitely be back!

This trail was 100% worth the effort. It wasn't too heavily trafficked the day I went with my husband. There is plenty to see along the trail from rivers to huge trees. It's a bit of a challenge once you get close to the cascades but all and all I would do the trail again!

Great trail. Big reward at the end but very enjoyable all the way up. I arrived at the trailhead early, second to arrive around 8am. Lot was packed and overflowing at noon. One of my top 5 in GSMNP.

We waited until our last day for this hike and really enjoyed it. The trail, and scenery changes a lot as you go up which keeps it interesting. ! I really liked that the first section was a little easier footing. It felt like a warm up. When the logging road ends the trail gets a little harder to navigate, but the incline isn’t bad. After the second bridge there are some huge old trees and big rocks to see. The last quarter to half mile is a pretty steep climb up, but you can hear the falls and that makes it feel like you are almost there, even when your not! There was a couple of water crossings where I was happy I had waterproof boots. The view at the top was fantastic. It took us a little over 5 hours round trip, but we took stops for pictures and lunch.

Loved this trail- beautiful views along the way to the falls. The trail is relatively shaded

Great hike. Best to get to trail head early to get a parking spot. Takes about 2 hours to get up. An hour and a half tib hour three quarters to get down. Bring toilet paper in case you have to go bathroom since there or no bathroom facilities.

Beautiful hike up to the cascade! Well worth the uphill hike/climb. More difficult at times with wet rocks/stones so take one step at a time. A friend recommended, and this has been our favorite hike so far.

Did this trail the day before Thanksgiving to celebrate my friends 80th Birthday. She wanted to hike it one last time. It was my first time. It starts out easy for the first couple miles, so you think it won't be too bad, then the last half mile is like walking 12 more straight up. The view was worth the hike. I would do it again. We had 11 in our group first group made it in up in just under three hrs the older group three over 65 made it in 4. We all ate lunch and headed down in 2 to three hrs for all. Worth every minute

icy

great trail. I think this should be changed to moderate as the hike itself is not very strenuous, more so " treacherous ".. atleast in winter it is. all of the rock crossings were icy ,especially the last one. views were well worth it. blows my mind seeing so many Ill prepared people on the trail ( shoes, no water/food/headlamp) etc

Hardest trail I’ve hiked too this day. Beautiful sights. Hell of a climb. The waterfall at the ends worth it all. Just pace yourself you think it’s almost over and it couldn’t get harder.....but it does

Well worth the walk up! The trail is technical and very slick when wet but the payoff was amazing! Gorgeous falls!!

Don’t underestimate this trail! We went into it thinking it would be a fairly easy short hike but both agreed it was more challenging than a lot of the other Smokey hikes we’ve done. It took us 2.5h up and just shy of that coming down. The entire trek to the cascade was a constant incline with steps, roots, wet leaves, and rocks. Although I’m glad to check it off, I probably wouldn’t do this hike again. I love challenging but the end game just wasn’t worth it. I would suggest rainbow, more enjoyable across the board. . Sorry Ramsey. Not a Smokey favorite